Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Bill Stanley

Default Problems with repartitioning a HP Pavilion Laptop - PROBLEM SOLVED

I am happy to report that I got Windows 7 and Linux to happily
dual-boot. The problem was the crazy partitioning scheme that HP uses.
They had the HD partitioned into 4 primary partitions. There was a
small partition called HP-Tools that basically was just to be used as a
storage space for HP related stuff. There was no executable files there
so I deleted the drive (partition) with windows leaving space where I
could create an extended partition. I am happy to also report that at
least on this model, a Pavilion dv6, there is not UEFI as feared.

Thank you all for the good advice and particularly Liam Proven for the
advice on gparted and partitioning before installing Linux. Also thank
you to NoOp for pointing out the problem with the partition called HP-Tools.

Bill Stanley

Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Liam Proven

On 19 August 2012 04:37, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I am happy to report that I got Windows 7 and Linux to happily dual-boot.
> The problem was the crazy partitioning scheme that HP uses. They had the HD
> partitioned into 4 primary partitions. There was a small partition called
> HP-Tools that basically was just to be used as a storage space for HP
> related stuff. There was no executable files there so I deleted the drive
> (partition) with windows leaving space where I could create an extended
> partition. I am happy to also report that at least on this model, a
> Pavilion dv6, there is not UEFI as feared.
>
> Thank you all for the good advice and particularly Liam Proven for the
> advice on gparted and partitioning before installing Linux. Also thank you
> to NoOp for pointing out the problem with the partition called HP-Tools.

Glad to hear it all worked out! :¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884