Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Thufir

Default aptitude hangs

Is this normal for aptitude to hang?

thufir@dur:~#
thufir@dur:~# aptitude upgrade --download-only
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

^C
thufir@dur:~#

I found:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptitude/+bug/804782
http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/bug-631071-aptitude-hangs-while-

However, that doesn't seem exactly the same...

I think that this might be from interrupting an aptitude download? I
recently upgraded to 12.10 and have been upgrading the packages since.

thanks,

Thufir

Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 PM
James Freer

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this normal for aptitude to hang?
>
> thufir@dur:~#
> thufir@dur:~# aptitude upgrade --download-only
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
>
> ^C
> thufir@dur:~#
>

> I found:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptitude/+bug/804782
> http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/bug-631071-aptitude-hangs-while-
>
> However, that doesn't seem exactly the same...
>
> I think that this might be from interrupting an aptitude download? I
> recently upgraded to 12.10 and have been upgrading the packages since.
> thanks,
>
> Thufir

have you got the syntax correct. Aptitude uses update, safe-upgrade,
full-upgrade --download only is an option but i've never used it.
"Upgrade" i think was deprecated.

I've not known aptitude hang but i've had it set up with aliases in
the bashrc so i rarely look at the man page these days. Good while
back like 2008 aptitude used to retain an icon for the 5 mins or so
before it cleared after doing an upgrade whereas apt-get's icon
cleared when you exited the terminal.

Try again and see what you get without the download - i think the
syntax is wrong.

james