Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Kaj Haulrich

Default Problems with repartitioning a HP Pavilion Laptop

On 08/18/2012 07:47 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

On 08/17/2012 09:56 PM, NoOp wrote:

On 08/17/2012 01:14 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

< snip>

I ran into similar hiccups with my - also new - Pavillon, until I
realized that it had this new thingy called UEFI rather than the good
old BIOS. If yours suffer from the same malady, the solution is to use
grub-efi during the install and tell it to install grub-efi on sda1
(something like 100 MB).

I was afraid I might run into this. There is no indication that UEFA is
the problem. I looked into the BIOS etc. Does anybody know more about
this? Where, other than HP tech support, can I find if it is on my
laptop, (it was purchased in late May). By the way, the Windows
version is Windows 7, so presumably the OS does not support UEFI. It
still could be in the hardware, just unused.

HP bios and Win7 have supported UEFI for quite a few years.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+7+%2B+uefi+%2B+hp+dv6>

So, if you are correct, UEFI might be on my computer. I've looked in
the BIOS and saw nothing that suggests that UEFI is present. Of course,
it just might mean that there is no BIOS setting or information about
UEFI. Is there any way I can find if UEFI is present and can it be
disabled if present.

Well, if you can see a BIOS menu right after power-on, you probably do
not have EFI (UEFI). The HP variant of UEFI on my box comes up with
fancy colors, graffiti-like drawings and whatnot. The UEFI menu is
different from a traditional BIOS menu as well, but there is an option
for boot order. In there, it gives the option of booting from UEFI
sources (like CD, USN, hard drive etc.) or legacy sources of the same kind.

Honestly, I hate this EFI with a vengeance. It clearly isn't mature:
sometimes I must do a hard reset in order to bring up the menu,
sometimes it beeps until the menu comes up, sometimes not. And - of
course - most options could as well be written i Arabic, and there's no
further help available. But then again, I have only fiddled with
computers for 26 years...

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.10 ---------

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM
"compdoc"

> The HP variant of UEFI on my box comes up with fancy colors, graffiti-like
drawings and whatnot

The few UEFI consumer boards I've used to build systems with like Asus,
Asrock, etc. seem something like yours: they display graphics, and also
allow the use of a mouse.

But their screens are well laid out, and they are very descriptive about
what the settings are for.

They boot any drive normally if it's a standard partition type like ms-dos.
I've never tried to boot a GPT partition, but I assume they can boot those
too. They don't hang or require resets and everything goes smoothly.

Obviously HP needs to work on theirs a bit...