Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Thufir

Default i386 means...32 bit?

There won't be dbmail-3 i386 packages:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14365

however, I'm not clear what system I'm using:

thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ sudo lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M661FX/M661MX
Host (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AGP Port (virtual
PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media
IO] LPC Controller (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 IDE
Controller (rev 01)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0
Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI
Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] RAID bus
controller 180 SATA/PATA [SiS] (rev 01)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
thufir@dur:~$

When I stop to think about, I thought I was using x486. I skimmed
wikipedia about this, but that didn't clarify things for me.

basically, all 32 bit stuff i386??? Or is that wrong?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Thufir

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:30:03 -0700, Thufir wrote:

> There won't be dbmail-3 i386 packages:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14365
>

> however, I'm not clear what system I'm using:

whoops, CPU:

thufir@dur:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz

Old 08-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Felix Miata

On 2012/08/16 18:44 (GMT-0700) Thufir composed:

whoops, CPU:

thufir@dur:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz

I have several with that model and stepping running @ 2.4GHz. It's a
Northwood with 512 cache, 533MHz bus, 32bit, produced shortly before the
switch to Prescott and 800MHz bus.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Thufir

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:23:18 +0600, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার wrote:

> *uname -a*
>
> Your will find your system type and the processor type also.

thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ uname -a
Linux dur.bounceme.net 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:50:42
UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
thufir@dur:~$

See, that's exactly what I mean. It says right there "i686". The reason
I ask is that I want to use dbmail. However, dbmail has no i386 version:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14365

what does that mean? That is 64bit only? Or, to use a ?syllogism, if
all i386 are 32 bit...

does that work the other way around? are all 32bit systems i386?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Liam Proven

On 17 August 2012 09:52, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:23:18 +0600, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার wrote:
>
>> *uname -a*
>>
>> Your will find your system type and the processor type also.
>

> thufir@dur:~$
> thufir@dur:~$ uname -a
> Linux dur.bounceme.net 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:50:42
> UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> thufir@dur:~$
>
> See, that's exactly what I mean. It says right there "i686". The reason
> I ask is that I want to use dbmail. However, dbmail has no i386 version:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14365
>
> what does that mean? That is 64bit only? Or, to use a ?syllogism, if
> all i386 are 32 bit...
>
> does that work the other way around? are all 32bit systems i386?

Sheesh, man, I thought this was really old news.

There have been 4 generations of Intel x86 instruction set (formally,
"instruction set architecture" or "ISA" for short):

8088/8086/80186 - 8/16 bit
80286 - 16-bit
80386 - 32-bit

That was in 1986. Nothing really changed after that for 20 years, so
"80386" got shortened to "i386" and eventually came to mean "x86" - as
in, the last revision of the 80?86 processor line, all the others
being long dead. Other companies such as AMD & Cyrix also made x86
CPUs, under license from Intel.

After the 80486 - also 32-bit - Intel realised it couldn't trademark
numbers, so it stopped giving its processors numbers.

What would have been the 80586 became the "Pentium" - from "penta" for
five - but it uses the same instruction set as the 386.

The P6 became the Pentium Pro - it's the "80686". Still the 386 ISA.
The P6 architecture is in the Pentium Pro, Pentium M, Core Solo & Duo,
Core 2, Core i3/i5/i7 and so on.

There hasn't really been a "80786" yet. The closest thing was the
Pentium 4. It was designed and optimised to run at really high
megaHertz speeds, at the cost of poor efficiency: they revved fast and
were hot but not very powerful.

Around the time of the Pentium 4, AMD decided it could do better, and
designed a new architecture, designed to rev slower but more
efficiently. It was the "Sledgehammer", the AMD Opteron series, and as
well as being very fast at running 386 code, it also had a new 64-bit
mode.

It sold very well.

Intel got very annoyed - "nobody innovates on our chips except us!" It
designed its own 64-bit extension to x86. Microsoft told it to get
lost - MS was already supporting the dead-end Itanium 64-bit
architecture, *and* AMD's new one, and it wasn't supporting a 3rd.

So, grumbling, Intel copied AMD's 64-bit ISA.

So finally we have 2 x86 ISAs: the original 32-bit 386, or x86-32, and
the new x86-64. Some people call x86-64 "AMD64" for short to give AMD
credit for inventing it.

No particular Intel chip generation adopted x86-64, because it's not
an Intel technology.

Some late Pentium 4 and the Core 2 and later chips are 64-bit. However
the already-underway Core series - not Core 2, the original Core Solo
and Core Duo - are just 32-bit.

There /is/ no 786 generation, as such, any more: the P4 was not a
success and the line was cancelled. Its successors - Core, Core 2,
Core i3/i5/i7 - revert to an updated 686 architecture. The Core chips
were x86-32 and the later ones are x86-64.

You have a mid-range P4 chip. It's 32-bit only. That's what your CPU
info is telling you.

You are running a 32-bit kernel on it, because there is no 16-bit
kernel and your CPU can't run a 64-bit kernel.

You can't fit a 64-bit P4 into a motherboard designed for 32-bit P4s -
the BIOS won't take it.

So you are stuck. If you want to run this 64-bit only program, you
need a new computer.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Mika Suomalainen

On 17.08.2012 04:30, Thufir wrote:
> There won't be dbmail-3 i386 packages:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14365
>

> however, I'm not clear what system I'm using:
>
> thufir@dur:~$
<...>

Try running "lscpu" in terminal. It should tell you, which you are using.

The first two lines are what you need to know, which system you are
using. For example:

```
% lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
```

means that I am running 64-bit OS and my CPU supports it.

> When I stop to think about, I thought I was using x486. I skimmed
> wikipedia about this, but that didn't clarify things for me.
>

> basically, all 32 bit stuff i386??? Or is that wrong?

Yes

- --
Mika Suomalainen

Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Felix Miata

On 2012/08/17 10:52 (GMT+0100) Liam Proven composed:

You can't fit a 64-bit P4 into a motherboard designed for 32-bit P4s -
the BIOS won't take it.

That's a misleading statement. There was quite some period when Intel was
manufacturing both 32 bit and 64 bit, so motherboard makers had to provide
backward compatibility for 32 bit CPUs in motherboards "designed" for 64 bit.

So you are stuck. If you want to run this 64-bit only program, you
need a new computer.

He probably does, but there's a slim possibility he may not. If his CPU is
LGA 775 rather than socket 478, he needs to check the CPU compatibility chart
for his motherboard, if such exists. It may provide support for a 64 bit
Cedar Mill or newer CPU. I made such a switch only two days ago, switching
from a Hyperthreading Prescott P4 @ 2.8GHz to a Core 2 Duo at 2.93GHz on a
G31 LGA 775 motherboard:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=363

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM
"compdoc"

> G31 LGA 775 motherboard:
>http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=363

Careful with those older Biostars. I have had several fail because of bad
capacitors. Look at the caps and see if any are rounded on top.

Biostar and MSI and several others had that problem. Newer ones now have
'solid' capacitors and so should last a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Except for that common problem, the boards worked great otherwise...

Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Felix Miata

On 2012/08/17 08:33 (GMT-0600) compdoc composed:

G31 LGA 775 motherboard:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=363

Careful with those older Biostars. I have had several fail because of bad
capacitors. Look at the caps and see if any are rounded on top.

Mine was actually purchased as a refurb.

Biostar and MSI and several others had that problem.

I've replaced caps on about 10 motherboards from at least 5 manufacturers,
plus a bunch of power supplies and other consumer electronics made in the
first decade of this century. On the motherboards I've had a replacement
success rate of about 80%, better on other devices. My old eyes make
soldering on high density circuit boards problematic.

I thought I had a bad Socket A Biostar motherboard about the time I
discovered the widespread bad cap problem, and went so far as to return it to
Biostar for replacement. That turned out to have been connected to a PS with
bad caps, which I successfully replaced on that discovery. Even so, Biostar
made the replacement with an upgrade model that I'm still using for software
testing.

Newer ones now have
'solid' capacitors and so should last a while.

I don't know anything about this "solid" type. I just match whatever's bad to
equivalent low impedance Nichicon from www.mouser.com and replace all of that
type on the board.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM
"compdoc"

>I don't know anything about this "solid" type.

Solid caps are the types with the metal housing, which most boards come with
now:

http://tinyurl.com/98e7wcn