Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Felix Miata

Default i386 means...32 bit?

On 2012/08/17 09:12 (GMT-0600) compdoc composed:

I don't know anything about this "solid" type.

Solid caps are the types with the metal housing, which most boards come with
now:

http://tinyurl.com/98e7wcn

I didn't know they had that name. I've yet to see a board that uses solids
except for sub-1000uf or so values. All bad motherboard caps I've run across
have been 470uf or higher. Good chance the formula thieves were only
interested in producing the more expensive, larger value products.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 17 August 2012 11:28:47 compdoc did opine:

> >I don't know anything about this "solid" type.
>
> Solid caps are the types with the metal housing, which most boards come
> with now:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/98e7wcn

Having replaced about a 3 pound coffee can full of those, worth over 20K
USD over the lifetime of the DVC-PRO tape recorders at a small market tv
station where I was the CE for 18 years, the ONLY diff is that they are
small enough not to need the creases in the top for explosion venting, so
they just blow the whole can off when they fail short. And their failure
rate from opens and ESR problems is probably 100x the rate in signal
circuits that the equivalent Nichicon suffers. But they are also surface
mount, and the replacements must be nearly identical else they will not fit
in the available space.

They were a solution when making a good digital VCR into a shoebox sized
device, but they were NOT a good solution. They were a headache, and many
many hours hunched over a big illuminated magnifying glass work lamp while
replacing the things, sometimes 50 or more per pcb board in all 20+ boards
in one of those machines. In fact, the backache from that contributed to
my deciding to retire at 67, a year before I would have been able to
collect about 20% more from Social Security, the original Ponzi scheme.

Speaking as a tech, (I am a C.E.T.) working on my own stuff, when one of
those fails, screw it, go order another board. If I never see another
between the tips of my soldering iron, it will be too soon.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Evil is that which one believes of others. It is a sin to believe evil
of others, but it is seldom a mistake.
-- H. L. Mencken

Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Liam Proven

On 17 August 2012 15:21, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2012/08/17 10:52 (GMT+0100) Liam Proven composed:
>
>> You can't fit a 64-bit P4 into a motherboard designed for 32-bit P4s -
>> the BIOS won't take it.
>
> That's a misleading statement. There was quite some period when Intel was
> manufacturing both 32 bit and 64 bit, so motherboard makers had to provide
> backward compatibility for 32 bit CPUs in motherboards "designed" for 64
> bit.

I thought this myself but when I have looked for such upgrades for a
few machines, I have not found any. I am prepared to admit that they
might have existed 5-6Y ago, & I blame my error on my failing memory -
but I bet they don't now! :¬/

>> So you are stuck. If you want to run this 64-bit only program, you
>> need a new computer.
>
> He probably does, but there's a slim possibility he may not. If his CPU is
> LGA 775 rather than socket 478, he needs to check the CPU compatibility
> chart for his motherboard, if such exists. It may provide support for a 64
> bit Cedar Mill or newer CPU. I made such a switch only two days ago,
> switching from a Hyperthreading Prescott P4 @ 2.8GHz to a Core 2 Duo at
> 2.93GHz on a G31 LGA 775 motherboard:
> http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=363

Interesting! I didn't know such things were still possible.

If only they were for my bulletproof HP Proliant ML110 server, but
AFAICS it's not. :¬(

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Felix Miata

On 2012/08/17 14:38 (GMT-0400) Liam Proven composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

...There was quite some period when Intel was
manufacturing both 32 bit and 64 bit, so motherboard makers had to provide
backward compatibility for 32 bit CPUs in motherboards "designed" for 64
bit.

I thought this myself but when I have looked for such upgrades for a
few machines, I have not found any. I am prepared to admit that they
might have existed 5-6Y ago,& I blame my error on my failing memory -
but I bet they don't now! :/

eBay doesn't work for you? Most of my upgrading has involved acquisition of
previously owned parts. :-)

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Liam Proven

On 17 August 2012 20:43, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

> eBay doesn't work for you? Most of my upgrading has involved acquisition of
> previously owned parts. :-)

You pay /money/ for them? ;¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-18-2012, 01:17 AM
NoOp

On 08/17/2012 01:52 AM, Thufir wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:23:18 +0600, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার wrote:
>

>> *uname -a*
>>
>> Your will find your system type and the processor type also.
>

> thufir@dur:~$
> thufir@dur:~$ uname -a
> Linux dur.bounceme.net 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:50:42
> UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> thufir@dur:~$
>

> See, that's exactly what I mean. It says right there "i686".

That means that your cpu is i686, your kernel is i686 compatible *and*
i386 compatible.

dbmail was available in Ubuntu repositories up to 11.04 (natty):
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/dbmail
You'd have to go throught the bug reports to find out why it was dropped
for newer releases.

Note that the .deb (Download dbmail) shows i386 - that only means it
will run fine on Intel x86 machines - including i386.

You can safely go back to:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14365>
and let them know that you have an i686 cpu & kernel. The issues that
you are having in that thread
(<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dbmail/14338/focus=14365>
have nothing to do with i386.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80386>

Old 08-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Ric Moore

Speaking as a tech, (I am a C.E.T.) working on my own stuff, when one of
those fails, screw it, go order another board. If I never see another
between the tips of my soldering iron, it will be too soon.

Cheers, Gene

I can personally attest that Gene knows his stuff! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html