Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Steve Flynn

Default thunderbird at ~30% cpu

On 15 August 2012 11:20, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> For hours, thunderbird has been at ~30%cpu, until I used cpulimit to
> bring it down a bit. It's still always running and using the CPU, for
> hours on end.
>
> I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04.

What does the Status Viewer tell you it's doing? Re-Indexing all of
your IMAP mail perhaps?

--
Steve

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Thufir

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:28:59 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:

>> I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04.
>
> What does the Status Viewer tell you it's doing? Re-Indexing all of your
> IMAP mail perhaps?

I expect so.

this is the status viewer:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/notification-viewer/

How can I tell it not to do that? very annoying, that would make sense.

-Thufir

Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 AM
sam tygier

On 15/08/12 11:20, Thufir wrote:
> For hours, thunderbird has been at ~30%cpu, until I used cpulimit to
> bring it down a bit. It's still always running and using the CPU, for
> hours on end.
>
> I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04.
>
> It's an unanswered question on askubuntu:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/133440/thunderbird-cpu-usage
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

on my netbook i get huge cpu usage from thunderbird due to the animated progress bar. if i hide the status bar ( View->Toolbar->Status bar ), then the cpu usage drops off almost completely.

Sam

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Thufir

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:38:11 +0100, sam tygier wrote:

> on my netbook i get huge cpu usage from thunderbird due to the animated
> progress bar. if i hide the status bar ( View->Toolbar->Status bar ),
> then the cpu usage drops off almost completely.

Yeah, I notice that most complaints about thunderbird are from laptop/
portables. Dunno why, but it stopped. I guess it was re-indexing or
something, seems to have stopped.

-Thufir

Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM
James Freer

on my netbook i get huge cpu usage from thunderbird due to the animated
progress bar. if i hide the status bar ( View->Toolbar->Status bar ),
then the cpu usage drops off almost completely.

Yeah, I notice that most complaints about thunderbird are from laptop/
portables. Dunno why, but it stopped. I guess it was re-indexing or
something, seems to have stopped.

-Thufir

Was this on imap? I found that too if it was. I also found Evolution gave
similar trouble. As a result i gave up using a graphical email client, tried
Mutt and settled with Alpine. Alpine i must say i think is superb.

james

Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Jared Norris

On 22 August 2012 06:39, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Thufir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:38:11 +0100, sam tygier wrote:
>>
>>> on my netbook i get huge cpu usage from thunderbird due to the animated
>>> progress bar. if i hide the status bar ( View->Toolbar->Status bar ),
>>> then the cpu usage drops off almost completely.
>>

>> Yeah, I notice that most complaints about thunderbird are from laptop/
>> portables. Dunno why, but it stopped. I guess it was re-indexing or
>> something, seems to have stopped.
>>

>> -Thufir
>

> Was this on imap? I found that too if it was. I also found Evolution gave
> similar trouble. As a result i gave up using a graphical email client, tried
> Mutt and settled with Alpine. Alpine i must say i think is superb.
>
> james

After the initial sync (which is obviously required if I want access
to older mail) I've never had issues. You have to expect the initial
sync to take a bit of effort, it's generally downloading a fair amount
of data and trying to keep it catalogued for you to see what's there.

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 PM
James Freer

[...]

What i found was that it was slow initially as you say but then when one
actually reads several emails it's still a bit slow compared with text only
clients which are instant.

james

Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Are they using imap as well?? I use pop via gmail with thunderbird, and
once things are dnloaded they are instantaneous as well. Luckily I don't
share my email with other devices, so pop works just peachy for me. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM
James Freer

[...]

Hi Ric

Just out of interest what are the pros-cons of using pop compared with imap. I
don't know - other than i belong to a large number of IT lists, yahoogroups dog
lists etc. So i thought imap was best as i can scan through emails and delete
without downloading... pop i thought downloaded all which i've thought would
have quite an impact on my broadband allowance.

thanks
james

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Thufir

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:45:29 +0100, James Freer wrote:

> Just out of interest what are the pros-cons of using pop compared with
> imap.

IMAP is **much** better than POP3. Wikipedia is probably the
authoritative source.

Basically, POP will (and I'm sure this is a pun) will "pop" from the
stack of e-mails on the server, and, depending on settings, are generally
then removed from the server.

IMAP is a synch. E-mails are stored server side and then the client
downloads usually a portion of server side e-mails. Several clients can
synch concurrently.

-Thufir