Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
James Freer

Default thunderbird at ~30% cpu

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Thufir wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:45:29 +0100, James Freer wrote:

Just out of interest what are the pros-cons of using pop compared with
imap.

IMAP is **much** better than POP3. Wikipedia is probably the
authoritative source.

Basically, POP will (and I'm sure this is a pun) will "pop" from the
stack of e-mails on the server, and, depending on settings, are generally
then removed from the server.

IMAP is a synch. E-mails are stored server side and then the client
downloads usually a portion of server side e-mails. Several clients can
synch concurrently.

-Thufir

That's what i thought... i was wondering why Ric used it. Some folk like to
treat email like post through the door... which means using up some of one's
broadband allocation unnecessarily.

I'm still surprised that some providers e.g. yahoo only allow pop. I'm only a
gmail user as they seem to have setup a better provision as providers go.

james

Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
"Jeff G."

IMAP is a synch. E-mails are stored server side and then the
client downloads usually a portion of server side e-mails. Several
clients can synch concurrently.

-Thufir

That's what i thought... i was wondering why Ric used it. Some folk
like to treat email like post through the door... which means using
up some of one's broadband allocation unnecessarily.

It takes a lot of email to use up that much broadband - you can d/l
headers only. I prefer pop because I like my stuff on my box and don't
need access from the road.

I'm still surprised that some providers e.g. yahoo only allow pop.

Not the case here but I use AT&T service so don't deal with yahoo direct
at all - but they do use yahoo and there is IMAP svc.

I'm only a gmail user as they seem to have setup a better provision
as providers go.

somebody likes it, judging from the stock price...