Old 08-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Hard disk keeps turning off or disconnecting?

Hi!

I have a strange problem. Ubuntu 12.04. All latest updates and kernel. I
used to have a 2TB disk connected by USB 2.0 port. I replaced this disk
(a Western Digital) with a 3TB (same brand, connected on same USB port).
Now, every 3 or 4 days, suddenly, the disk gets disconnected. As if it
wasn't mounted anymore. Didn't have the problem with the 2TB.

But... I seem to recall having had that a long time ago on another
disk... and that this was due to some power management mode on the
disk... that had to be turned off...

Does that ring a bell to anybody on this list? Any magical command to
tell the machine to tell the disk that this is a server and I don't want
spin-downs?

Luckily, this is an ext4 volume... so I don't lose any data. I just have
to turn off the machine, turn off the disk, then turn everything back
on... But this is clearly sub-optimal. I would like the machine to keep
running...

Thanks in advance,
Gilles

Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
"compdoc"

Which model of 3TB WD is it? Green?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Colin Law

On 12 August 2012 18:58, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a strange problem. Ubuntu 12.04. All latest updates and kernel. I
> used to have a 2TB disk connected by USB 2.0 port. I replaced this disk
> (a Western Digital) with a 3TB (same brand, connected on same USB port).
> Now, every 3 or 4 days, suddenly, the disk gets disconnected. As if it
> wasn't mounted anymore. Didn't have the problem with the 2TB.
>
> But... I seem to recall having had that a long time ago on another
> disk... and that this was due to some power management mode on the
> disk... that had to be turned off...
>
> Does that ring a bell to anybody on this list? Any magical command to
> tell the machine to tell the disk that this is a server and I don't want
> spin-downs?
>
> Luckily, this is an ext4 volume... so I don't lose any data. I just have
> to turn off the machine, turn off the disk, then turn everything back
> on... But this is clearly sub-optimal. I would like the machine to keep
> running...

Does dmesg tell you anything after it goes off?

Colin

Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 12/08/2012 20:51, Colin Law wrote:
> On 12 August 2012 18:58, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a strange problem. Ubuntu 12.04. All latest updates and kernel. I
>> used to have a 2TB disk connected by USB 2.0 port. I replaced this disk
>> (a Western Digital) with a 3TB (same brand, connected on same USB port).
>> Now, every 3 or 4 days, suddenly, the disk gets disconnected. As if it
>> wasn't mounted anymore. Didn't have the problem with the 2TB.
>>
>> But... I seem to recall having had that a long time ago on another
>> disk... and that this was due to some power management mode on the
>> disk... that had to be turned off...
>>
>> Does that ring a bell to anybody on this list? Any magical command to
>> tell the machine to tell the disk that this is a server and I don't want
>> spin-downs?
>>
>> Luckily, this is an ext4 volume... so I don't lose any data. I just have
>> to turn off the machine, turn off the disk, then turn everything back
>> on... But this is clearly sub-optimal. I would like the machine to keep
>> running...
> Does dmesg tell you anything after it goes off?

Next time it turns off... I will check. Forgot to do that today.

Gilles.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 12/08/2012 20:20, compdoc wrote:
> Which model of 3TB WD is it? Green?

WDBAAU0030HBK-EESN

It's a WD Elements Desktop drive... and... yes... Green... WD has a
utility to control spindown / stop of drives... for Windows... and it's
old. Maybe there is a similar tool for Linux... one where I can tell the
disk "DON'T".

Gilles

Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi, again,

On 12/08/2012 20:20, compdoc wrote:
> Which model of 3TB WD is it? Green?

And of course, on WD's site, there is information on how to turn of
power management for a disk on Windows 7 :
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3875/c/130/p/228,219,289

So... how do I do that on Ubuntu?

Gilles

Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Felix Miata

On 2012/08/12 21:13 (GMT+0200) Gilles Gravier composed:

And of course, on WD's site, there is information on how to turn of
power management for a disk on Windows 7 :
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3875/c/130/p/228,219,289

So... how do I do that on Ubuntu?

hdparm

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 12/08/2012 21:19, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2012/08/12 21:13 (GMT+0200) Gilles Gravier composed:
>
>> And of course, on WD's site, there is information on how to turn of
>> power management for a disk on Windows 7 :
>> http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3875/c/130/p/228,219,289
>>

>> So... how do I do that on Ubuntu?
>
> hdparm

Just starting to read on hdparm. Seems the settings get reset on change
of power mode (i.e. going from mains to UPS, for exemple)?

Gilles

Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Gilles Gravier

On 12/08/2012 21:22, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 12/08/2012 21:19, Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2012/08/12 21:13 (GMT+0200) Gilles Gravier composed:
>>
>>> And of course, on WD's site, there is information on how to turn of
>>> power management for a disk on Windows 7 :
>>> http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3875/c/130/p/228,219,289
>>>
>>> So... how do I do that on Ubuntu?
>> hdparm
> Just starting to read on hdparm. Seems the settings get reset on change
> of power mode (i.e. going from mains to UPS, for exemple)?
>
> Gilles

And...

sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Invalid argument
APM_level = not supported

So... not sure it's working...

Gilles.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Nils Kassube

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> And...
>
> sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdb
>
> /dev/sdb:
> setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
> HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Invalid argument
> APM_level = not supported

Then try 254 instead of 255. According to the hdparm manpage some disks
don't support 255.

Nils