Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Hard disk keeps turning off or disconnecting?

Hi!

On 12/08/2012 22:05, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> And...
>>
>> sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdb
>>
>> /dev/sdb:
>> setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
>> HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Invalid argument
>> APM_level = not supported
> Then try 254 instead of 255. According to the hdparm manpage some disks
> don't support 255.

Same thing with 254, 253...

Gilles

Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Steve Flynn

On 12 August 2012 21:12, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:

Q&D fix whilst you find out how to adjust the sleep parameters... just
touch a file on the root partition every 10 minutes or so, via cron.

Rather than fucking about with hdparam for days, trying to find magic
settings that work, just keep the drive awake.

--
Steve

Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Joel Oliver

I believe the program that is needed is called wdidle

Google that for more info.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi, Joel!

On 13/08/2012 04:16, Joel Oliver wrote:

> I believe the program that is needed is called wdidle
>
> Google that for more info.

And the Linux version : http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/

Thanks, Joel!

Going to check it out!

Gilles.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi, Steve!

On 13/08/2012 00:11, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 12 August 2012 21:12, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>
> Q&D fix whilst you find out how to adjust the sleep parameters... just
> touch a file on the root partition every 10 minutes or so, via cron.
>
> Rather than fucking about with hdparam for days, trying to find magic
> settings that work, just keep the drive awake.

I've set up a crontab while I play with :
http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/ (thanks to Joel Oliver for pointing
me to wdidle which led me to the linux equivalent).

Gilles (seeing hope a the end of the tunnel).

Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 23:11:56 +0100
Steve Flynn wrote:

> Q&D fix whilst you find out how to adjust the sleep parameters... just
> touch a file on the root partition every 10 minutes or so, via cron.

That's what I have to do with my Samsung Story. Though for me 10 mins
would be too long. You need to work out how quickly it goes to sleep.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 13/08/2012 15:53, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 23:11:56 +0100
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>
>> Q&D fix whilst you find out how to adjust the sleep parameters... just
>> touch a file on the root partition every 10 minutes or so, via cron.
> That's what I have to do with my Samsung Story. Though for me 10 mins
> would be too long. You need to work out how quickly it goes to sleep.

I've set the cron to do it every 5... Will reduce if still too long.

Gilles

Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 13/08/2012 15:53, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 23:11:56 +0100
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>
>> Q&D fix whilst you find out how to adjust the sleep parameters... just
>> touch a file on the root partition every 10 minutes or so, via cron.
> That's what I have to do with my Samsung Story. Though for me 10 mins
> would be too long. You need to work out how quickly it goes to sleep.

So far, with a touch every 5 minutes, it seems to work nicely!

Cheers,
Gilles.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Gilles Gravier

As a followup (my disk still hasn't had a "falling asleep" issue anymore
- 5 minutes definitely does it).

I contacted WD support asking them about this...

They were VERY clear (saying it twice in the support e-mail) : "these
products are NOT supported on Linux"....

OK. Next time, Linux users, just buy a different brand.

Thanks, WD. Bye.

Gilles.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
NoOp

On 09/06/2012 01:45 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> As a followup (my disk still hasn't had a "falling asleep" issue anymore
> - 5 minutes definitely does it).
>
> I contacted WD support asking them about this...
>
> They were VERY clear (saying it twice in the support e-mail) : "these
> products are NOT supported on Linux"....
>
> OK. Next time, Linux users, just buy a different brand.
>
> Thanks, WD. Bye.
>
> Gilles.

May be of interest:
<http://www.instantfundas.com/2011/12/intellipark-makes-western-digital-green.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&u tm_campaign=Feed%3A+InstantFundas+%28Instant+Funda s%29>