-   -   LSI 9240-8i (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/690417-lsi-9240-8i.html)

James Devine 08-03-2012 07:10 PM

LSI 9240-8i

I have been trying to install ubuntu on a supermicro 6027R-TRF machine which I have installed an LSI 9240-8i raid card. *The install hangs right after I choose to install ubuntu, I have tried several versions of ubuntu including the latest 12.04. *Windows 2008 seems to install fine. *If I remove the 9240 raid card the ubuntu install will continue fine as well. *I've updated the BIOS and raid card firmware to the latest. *Any idea how I might troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks

Sam Sebastian 08-04-2012 11:38 PM

LSI 9240-8i

Are there any special drivers that came with the raid controller? I
think that during the alternative installer (maybe) it gives you a
option to load up special drivers for raid cards and the like, the
card sounds like something that would not have the drivers on the
ubuntu install disk by default, I would try finding them on the
manufacturer's website if you don't have a disk with the linux ones.

Liam Proven 08-06-2012 05:24 PM

LSI 9240-8i

On 6 August 2012 18:20, James Devine <fxmulder@gmail.com> wrote:
> The install doesn't get far enough to use external drivers, as soon as I
> choose 'Install Ubuntu' I get a blank black screen and it doesn't go any
> further than that

Please do not top-quote on the list.

I had a similar problem on Dell PowerEdge SC600 a couple of years back.

The only workaround, documented in several places, was to install 8.04
& upgrade it to 10.04.

You could try the same with 10.04 now?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

James Devine 08-06-2012 09:01 PM

LSI 9240-8i

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 6 August 2012 18:20, James Devine <fxmulder@gmail.com> wrote:

> The install doesn't get far enough to use external drivers, as soon as I

> choose 'Install Ubuntu' I get a blank black screen and it doesn't go any

> further than that

Please do not top-quote on the list.

I had a similar problem on *Dell PowerEdge SC600 a couple of years back.

The only workaround, documented in several places, was to install 8.04

& upgrade it to 10.04.

You could try the same with 10.04 now?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

10.04 does get past that point but it doesn't recognize the card by default and getting the drivers to work seems to be a difficult task so really it seems LSI + Ubuntu isn't a very good match

"compdoc" 08-06-2012 11:21 PM

LSI 9240-8i

> The install doesn't get far enough to use external drivers, as soon as I
> choose 'Install Ubuntu' I get a blank black screen and it doesn't go any
> further than that
I use and love 3ware's 9650 controllers. No driver install is needed for those.
*
Isn't the 9240-8i just one the current models being sold? I's hate to buy one if its having these issues.
*
Do you have an array defined in the controller's bios as you're booting Ubuntu? If so, how large is the volume? How many drives are there?
*
Also, what happens if you boot the machine with just the card, and with no drives attached and with the drives powered off?
*
Is it Ubuntu 32 or 64 bit?
*

NoOp 08-07-2012 03:02 AM

LSI 9240-8i

On 08/06/2012 02:01 PM, James Devine wrote:
> 10.04 does get past that point but it doesn't recognize the card by default
> and getting the drivers to work seems to be a difficult task so really it
> seems LSI + Ubuntu isn't a very good match

Maybe there is some useful information here:

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=lsi+raid+%2B+10.04&x=0&y=0>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/546091>
[10.04 Installer doesn't properly detect 9240 MegaRaid SAS Controlers]

James Devine 08-07-2012 04:28 PM

LSI 9240-8i

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> The install doesn't get far enough to use external drivers, as soon as I
> choose 'Install Ubuntu' I get a blank black screen and it doesn't go any

> further than that
I use and love 3ware's 9650 controllers. No driver install is needed for those.

*
Isn't the 9240-8i just one the current models being sold? I's hate to buy one if its having these issues.

*
Do you have an array defined in the controller's bios as you're booting Ubuntu? If so, how large is the volume? How many drives are there?

*
Also, what happens if you boot the machine with just the card, and with no drives attached and with the drives powered off?

*
Is it Ubuntu 32 or 64 bit?

*

Yeah, we have a 9280-8i with Ubuntu running fine but there is a vmware layer in between.
I have 8 1TB disks in there right now, I've setup a 2 disk raid1, I also tried with all disk unattached from the raid card and the configuration cleared, doesn't seem to make a difference Ubuntu still hangs right after choosing to install. *I am using the 64bit version.

"compdoc" 08-07-2012 07:01 PM

LSI 9240-8i

> Yeah, we have a 9280-8i with Ubuntu running fine but there is a vmware layer in between.
*
Oh, so vmware is running on bare metal, and Ubuntu is a guest?* You're trying some sort of hardware pass thru?
*
*

James Devine 08-07-2012 07:25 PM

LSI 9240-8i

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> Yeah, we have a 9280-8i with Ubuntu running fine but there is a vmware layer in between.
*

Oh, so vmware is running on bare metal, and Ubuntu is a guest?* You're trying some sort of hardware pass thru?
*
*

That's the way we have it working on a different machine with the 9280, Ubuntu on vmware on bare metal and that works fine
I am trying the 9240 bare metal with ubuntu and that is where I am running into problems

I verified the 9240 works fine through vmware and ubuntu running on top of that, same as the other machine