Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Alan McKay

Default LSI 9240-8i

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM, James Devine <fxmulder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I verified the 9240 works fine through vmware and ubuntu running on top of
> that, same as the other machine

Did you ever resolve this? Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm
looking at an older LSI card with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and just
searching the list before I post about it

I'm curious about the VMWare layer in between as well. Are there any
limitations on that which make you not want to go that way? Is there
a max disk size it can present to Linux or something?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM, James Devine <fxmulder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I verified the 9240 works fine through vmware and ubuntu running on top of
>> that, same as the other machine
>
> Did you ever resolve this? Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm
> looking at an older LSI card with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and just
> searching the list before I post about it
>
> I'm curious about the VMWare layer in between as well. Are there any
> limitations on that which make you not want to go that way? Is there
> a max disk size it can present to Linux or something?

If he's describing what I think he is, he's running VMWare ESX or
whatever their stand-alone is called now, and running Ubuntu as a
guest in a VM. Makes sense that would work, as the guest isn't
exposed directly to the hardware and sees less troublesome fake
hardware devices.

Personally, VMWare's not a bad way to provide virtualized serves on
bare metal, but IMO, the benefit to that whole thing is using things
like vSphere with the real time load management, provisioning and all
that you get from using/paying for VMWare infrastructure and tools.

As a stand-alone, there's not much difference, realistically, between
a VM running on VMWare and one on XenServer and one on QEMU or KVM.
At least not that I've ever noticed. But caveat that with it's been a
while since I last really went deep into those various things on
servers, so my opinions are slightly dated and subject to change.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM
"compdoc"

>Did you ever resolve this?

Hopefully the OP will get back to the list, but I can tell you about mine.

I got a new LSI 9240-8i about a week ago, and have had issues with it.
Here's what I've figured out...

To enter the card's 'WebBios' setup to manually configure an array:

You have to hit Control-H to enter the card's bios at boot when asked, and
then hit the F11 or F12 key to bring up your motherboard's boot menu. Once
the boot menu pops up, you have to select " pci raid adaptor" to boot from,
which then enters the setup. Stupid, I know. You must do this even if you do
not have a UEFI bios - at least on the systems I've tried it on.

If you do have a UEFI bios (comes on new motherboards):

1) To even see the raid card detecting the drives, you must configure your
motherboard's UEFI bios Storage Boot Option to allow 'Legacy'. Not 'UEFI
only'. Mine has the options 'Legacy First' or 'Legacy Only'.
2) Disable 'Full Screen Logo'.
3) On my system, I also have to select the Display Boot Option (video) to
'Legacy Only' or 'Legacy First' to prevent a blank screen. Ubuntu doesn't
like UEFI display settings.
4) If your system has CSM Support set it to 'Always', and Boot Mode
Selection set to 'UEFI and Legacy'.
5) Once you've created the array, you can set your bios to boot using 'UEFI
first' or 'UEFI only' if you need.

Once you install your OS using 'Legacy' or 'UEFI' the OS might have problems
booting afterwards if you switch the option, so set the option you need
before installing.

The 9240-8i came with a firmware so old that its version is no longer listed
on the current README,. So, I updated to the latest as soon as I got it.
Version: 20.10.1-0107

I tried to install the LSI gui program named 'MegaRAID Storage Manager', but
while installing it wiped out my manual raid configuration on the card and I
could never get the program to run.

The 9240-8i has no memory cache and isn't the fastest card I've seen, but it
works and after copying a few hundred gigs worth of files to it, I believe
its stable.

I've been testing using a pair of sata drives. The array will be using SAS
drives when I'm finished, but I'm waiting for the special cables required to
connect to SAS drives.

All this was done using Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, and no drivers had to be
installed.