Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM
R Kimber

Default unknown process

I have a process running called 'marco' which I've not seen before. Does
anyone know what it does? Googling just produces a lot of links to people
called 'marco' :-)

I'm running 12.04 with MATE

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
R Kimber

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:34:19 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> I have a process running called 'marco' which I've not seen before. Does
> anyone know what it does? Googling just produces a lot of links to people
> called 'marco' :-)
>
> I'm running 12.04 with MATE

Sorry, I've found it now. It's part of the window manager.

- Richard.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Peter Teuben

On 07/25/2012 01:55 PM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:34:19 +0100
> R Kimber wrote:
>
>> I have a process running called 'marco' which I've not seen before. Does
>> anyone know what it does? Googling just produces a lot of links to people
>> called 'marco' :-)
>>
>> I'm running 12.04 with MATE
>>
> Sorry, I've found it now. It's part of the window manager.
>
> - Richard.

a really useful program in the shell is pstree, it will show you the
hierarchy
of all processes and in particular who is responsible for starting up
'marco'.
Might learn all kinds of other interesting things about your system.

p.