Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Gene Heskett

Default xsane can't see my scanner unless I'm root

Greets all;

What can I do to make my scanner, a flatbed on top of an Epson NX515
printer, available to me as a user?

I have another scanner, but its like me, very old & very slow & badly
shaded. That one xsane can see when I'm just the prime user.

Is this a udev issue?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
<MFGolfBal> rit/ara: There's something really demented about UNIX
underwear...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:20:45 Gene Heskett did opine:

> Greets all;
>
> What can I do to make my scanner, a flatbed on top of an Epson NX515
> printer, available to me as a user?
>
> I have another scanner, but its like me, very old & very slow & badly
> shaded. That one xsane can see when I'm just the prime user.
>
> Is this a udev issue?

Update: It was. I borrowed a udev file from a pclos install, restarted
udev, and its working.

Thanks & sorry for the noise.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"Indecision is the basis of flexibility"
-- button at a Science Fiction convention.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 PM
rikona

Hello Gene,

Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 1:22:08 PM, Gene wrote:

>> Is this a udev issue?
>>
> Update: It was. I borrowed a udev file from a pclos install,
> restarted udev, and its working.

If you know exactly what part made it work, please post it. Some time
ago I plugged in a scanner, didn't work, fiddled a bit, than plugged
it into a Win box - worked fine, so I left it there.

But - it would be nice to get a bit of info re solved scanner
problems. I prefer Linux if possible...

Thanks,

--

rikona

Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 21:26:48 rikona did opine:

> Hello Gene,
>
> Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 1:22:08 PM, Gene wrote:
> >> Is this a udev issue?
> >
> > Update: It was. I borrowed a udev file from a pclos install,
> > restarted udev, and its working.
>
> If you know exactly what part made it work, please post it. Some time
> ago I plugged in a scanner, didn't work, fiddled a bit, than plugged
> it into a Win box - worked fine, so I left it there.
>
> But - it would be nice to get a bit of info re solved scanner
> problems. I prefer Linux if possible...
>
> Thanks,

So do I Rikona, but I doubt the server would pass that file if I attached
it, its like 89 kilobytes.

FWIW, heres an ls -l of that dir.
gene@coyote:/etc/udev/rules.d$ ls -l
total 100
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 85808 2011-07-10 13:31 60-libsane.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 848 2012-06-25 14:47 70-persistent-cd.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 605 2012-06-25 14:25 70-persistent-net.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 101 2010-07-27 21:03 99-rtai.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1157 2010-04-19 05:30 README

It is the 60-libsane.rules that I "borrowed". Perhaps it needs added to
the sane package? I suspect if it was to be added, that would put a stop
to the barrage of "my scanner doesn't work" mewling by wannabe windows
escapees?

Tell you what, I'll put a copy on my web page, look in the Genes-os9-stf
sublink at the address below. Done, be my guest.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Virtue is its own punishment.
-- Denniston

Righteous people terrify me ... virtue is its own punishment.
-- Aneurin Bevan

Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Thu, July 26, 2012 03:37, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2012 21:26:48 rikona did opine:

>> > Update: It was. I borrowed a udev file from a pclos install,
>> > restarted udev, and its working.
>>
>> If you know exactly what part made it work, please post it. Some time
>> ago I plugged in a scanner, didn't work, fiddled a bit, than plugged
>> it into a Win box - worked fine, so I left it there.
>>
>> But - it would be nice to get a bit of info re solved scanner
>> problems. I prefer Linux if possible...
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> So do I Rikona, but I doubt the server would pass that file if I attached
> it, its like 89 kilobytes.
>
> FWIW, heres an ls -l of that dir.
> gene@coyote:/etc/udev/rules.d$ ls -l
> total 100
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 85808 2011-07-10 13:31 60-libsane.rules
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 848 2012-06-25 14:47 70-persistent-cd.rules
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 605 2012-06-25 14:25 70-persistent-net.rules
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 101 2010-07-27 21:03 99-rtai.rules
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1157 2010-04-19 05:30 README
>
> It is the 60-libsane.rules that I "borrowed". Perhaps it needs added to
> the sane package? I suspect if it was to be added, that would put a stop
> to the barrage of "my scanner doesn't work" mewling by wannabe windows
> escapees?
>
> Tell you what, I'll put a copy on my web page, look in the Genes-os9-stf
> sublink at the address below. Done, be my guest.

I have an even better idea: open a bug report on Launchpad, write your
observations and your workaround, and attach your file there. That way it
will get fixed in a next release of Ubuntu so EVERYONE can benefit.

One would say that it's even your moral obligation to file a bug report.
Ubuntu has given you so much, isn't it time to give something back? ;-)

Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 06:43:17 Amedee Van Gasse did opine:

> On Thu, July 26, 2012 03:37, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 July 2012 21:26:48 rikona did opine:

> >> If you know exactly what part made it work, please post it. Some time
> >> ago I plugged in a scanner, didn't work, fiddled a bit, than plugged
> >> it into a Win box - worked fine, so I left it there.
> >>
> >> But - it would be nice to get a bit of info re solved scanner
> >> problems. I prefer Linux if possible...
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >
> > So do I Rikona, but I doubt the server would pass that file if I
> > attached it, its like 89 kilobytes.
> >
> > FWIW, heres an ls -l of that dir.
> > gene@coyote:/etc/udev/rules.d$ ls -l
> > total 100
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 85808 2011-07-10 13:31 60-libsane.rules
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 848 2012-06-25 14:47 70-persistent-cd.rules
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 605 2012-06-25 14:25 70-persistent-net.rules
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 101 2010-07-27 21:03 99-rtai.rules
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1157 2010-04-19 05:30 README
> >
> > It is the 60-libsane.rules that I "borrowed". Perhaps it needs added
> > to the sane package? I suspect if it was to be added, that would put
> > a stop to the barrage of "my scanner doesn't work" mewling by wannabe
> > windows escapees?
> >
> > Tell you what, I'll put a copy on my web page, look in the
> > Genes-os9-stf sublink at the address below. Done, be my guest.
>
> I have an even better idea: open a bug report on Launchpad, write your
> observations and your workaround, and attach your file there. That way
> it will get fixed in a next release of Ubuntu so EVERYONE can benefit.
>
> One would say that it's even your moral obligation to file a bug report.
> Ubuntu has given you so much, isn't it time to give something back? ;-)

All well and good, except where the hell is the button to start entering a
new bug? This is the same situation I was in the last time I waded through
the launchpad login process quite some time back, and of course I'd
forgotten that password, so I had to screw around 10 minutes changing it
before I could log in. I didn't enter a report the last time either.

It appears I can read some of the popular bugs, or see the most recent half
a dozen fixes, but as far as being able to "contribute", I couldn't find a
place to start the last time, and there isn't one this time.

There is nothing I have less time for than a purported bug reporting site
that doesn't let you report a bug. Feigning a high interest in bug
reports, and promoting the site, but making sure no one can actually report
a bug is one way to generate statistics about a low bug count I guess.

I'll stick around, logged in, at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+index#>
for a while (unless there is an automatic logout for inactivity) in case
somebody knows the magic invocation to actually enter a bug.

Its your call Ubuntu, I've done the dance.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Why did the Roman Empire collapse? What is the Latin for office
automation?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Steve Flynn

On 26 July 2012 12:00, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> Its your call Ubuntu, I've done the dance.

ubuntu-bug is your friend.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

--
Steve

Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 07:16:24 Amedee Van Gasse did opine:

> > Tell you what, I'll put a copy on my web page, look in the
> > Genes-os9-stf sublink at the address below. Done, be my guest.
>
> I have an even better idea: open a bug report on Launchpad, write your
> observations and your workaround, and attach your file there. That way
> it will get fixed in a next release of Ubuntu so EVERYONE can benefit.
>
> One would say that it's even your moral obligation to file a bug report.
> Ubuntu has given you so much, isn't it time to give something back? ;-)

Obviously my previous reply was /dev/null'd, somebody didn't like what I
said. So I'll repeat w/o the profanity that site is very good at
generating.

I have now logged into launchpad twice over the last few months, and twice
I was not able to find a starting place to describe a new bug. I even
tried to look at one of the bugs listed in the left hand column, but it
wouldn't show it to me, presumably because it wasn't my bug. To me, this
site is as worthless as bugzilla was 10 years ago.

You want bugs? Make it possible to report them. or better yet, read this
list.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 07:27:39 Steve Flynn did opine:

> On 26 July 2012 12:00, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Its your call Ubuntu, I've done the dance.
>
> ubuntu-bug is your friend.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

How so? It leads back to launchpad at Step 1, a difficult to access site,
and which when I do log into it, is apparently read-only. And it apparently
logged me out for inactivity in about 5 minutes. A Real User Friendly
site. NOT.

You want bug reports filed? Make it possible to report the bug, and in
this case, a bug report that includes a fix.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Cropp's Law:
The amount of work done varies inversly with the time spent in the
office.

Thu Jul 26 14:30:01 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=zrDWi9VKCI2h01nDNJIxSgiW1pGAc21ZJ8sdhlE/rAo=;
b=yOxXn+OXQPfe47qNGsFHBuR3V/v0cqM8iPpDsD4wzMaaq3YTTBP7YTci6c84uDzaPH
2caqJLqLc8yOIjdRdEuPLyDqNkBa1pMzxOMrDkjY0bS0LhljOG HNKeDp1ZEYCdCObTTu
rbe8hhyNm7TWh0JOrcXLUhk6dYK7m6a7SPHUtBcrpb0ya6uYTz y9lhxr+4rW7fw1T2zU
iPSIvIiOlBbZJwp58NGGU8gJ/zpZ2GvQPSKyEee0VBGLviumP9RlZoCB/OiWdMtV6uxW
67q68vSgtAc/iYd/yta8Vv8flX8AnAaXAwAiYQsoH/G/gch3mSO7/Jbslxyq3E4ECJX6
HDfA==
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:38:29 +0000
From: =?UTF-8?B?IkrDs2hhbm4gQi4gR3XDsG11bmRzc29uIg==?=
<johannbg@gmail.com>
To: advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: Fedora Board Recap - 2012-07-25
Sender: advisory-board-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

T24gMDcvMjYvMjAxMiAwOTo1NSBBTSwgUmFodWwgU3VuZGFyYW 0gd3JvdGU6Cj4gSWYgc29tZW9u
ZSBwb3N0ZWQgYSB0aWNrZXQgd2l0aCB0aGUgZXhwZWN0YXRpb2 4gdGhhdCBpdCB3b3VsZCBiZQo+
IHByaXZhdGUsIG9wZW5pbmcgdGhlbSB1cCB0byBwdWJsaWMgaX MgcXVpdGUgcnVkZS4gRnV0dXJl
IHRpY2tldHMgY291bGQKPiBiZSBwdWJsaWMgaG93ZXZlciBhbm QgSSB1cmdlIHRoZSBib2FyZCB0
byBjb25zaWRlciB0aGlzLgoKUGVyaGFwcyBvbmx5IGFjdGl2ZS B0aWNrZXRzIHNob3VsZCByZW1h
aW4gcHJpdmF0ZSBhbmQgdGhlIGJvYXJkIHNpbXBseSAKYXNrIH RoZSByZXF1ZXN0ZXIgaWYgdGhl
eSBjYW4gYmUgbWFkZSBwdWJsaWMsIGFsbCBjbG9zZWQgdGlja2 V0IGJlIApvcGVuZWQgdXAgZm9y
IHB1YmxpYyB0aGVuIGFsbCBmdXR1cmUgdGlja2V0cyBiZSBtYW RlIHB1YmxpYz8KCkpCRwpfX19f
X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX1 9fX19fXwphZHZpc29yeS1ib2Fy
ZCBtYWlsaW5nIGxpc3QKYWR2aXNvcnktYm9hcmRAbGlzdHMuZm Vkb3JhcHJvamVjdC5vcmcKaHR0
cHM6Ly9hZG1pbi5mZWRvcmFwcm9qZWN0Lm9yZy9tYWlsbWFuL2 xpc3RpbmZvL2Fkdmlzb3J5LWJv
YXJk

Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Paul Smith

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 07:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> All well and good, except where the hell is the button to start entering a
> new bug? This is the same situation I was in the last time I waded through
> the launchpad login process quite some time back, and of course I'd
> forgotten that password, so I had to screw around 10 minutes changing it
> before I could log in. I didn't enter a report the last time either.

I won't say Launchpad is easy or a good interface. The thing that
really frustrates me about it is that there are so many entries for any
given package, and only one of them is the one you want... but it's very
hard to know (without prior information) which one it is. And the one
you DON'T want is the most obvious one, that everyone will probably
assume is the right one.

Here's how I do it:

Go to the main Launchpad page. There is a prominent search box. I
enter the name of the package for which I want to report a bug (I know
this is also problematic, because often you don't know the name of the
package). For example I typed "xsane" here.

Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the
name "xsane". This is the tricky part. The one you want is usually
named something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu". Click on that.

Note the one you do NOT want is the "<pkg> in Launchpad" element. This
is some kind of tracking item for the upstream release (as I understand
it) and so you can't report bugs against it. And of course I can't find
any way to jump from the upstream release item to the individual Ubuntu
items. It's all very confusing. Don't click that link.

Once you get to the main Ubuntu package management page for that
package, on the right under the heading "Get Involved" will be a link
"Report a Bug". I think it's pretty straightforward after that.

There are probably seven other ways to do it, with at least 4 simpler
than this. But, it works for me.