Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Gene Heskett

Default xsane can't see my scanner unless I'm root

On Thursday 26 July 2012 13:09:03 Paul Smith did opine:

> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 08:37 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the
> > > name "xsane". This is the tricky part. The one you want is usually
> > > named something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu". Click on that.
> >
> > I did, was advised no bugs were filed against it. I closed the tab.
>
> I'm confused by your experience. When I search for "xsane" I get these
> results:
>
> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=xsane
>
> The first item in the list is the xsane in ubuntu item, clicking it
> gives you this page:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane
>
> which shows 96 new bugs and 2 open questions. To the right is a box
> titled "Get Involved" and below that are two links, one for "Report a
> Bug" and one for "Ask a Question".
>
> Do you not see these?

For xsane, the front end. But I was searching for the 'sane' when I got
the above response, the backends, since one of my scanners, an elderly
epson 1250u was showing up ok when I was the user. The decade newer NX515
was what was being hidden to the user.

> Also you mentioned you were automatically logged out after 5 minutes; I
> went to the page and I was still logged in from a very long time ago.
> Maybe there's a preference.

Possibly a nilmerg, it was a good 15 minutes after I closed that tab in FF
that I ran ubuntu-bug, filled in a couple blanks and clicked submit.

Someone said if I wasn't logged in I should have gotten the logion screen
at that point.

But it went straight through.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When all other means of communication fail, try words.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:08:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> > I did see a "Get Involved" button, but it was not accompanied by a
>> > "Report a Bug" button.
>>
>> There is no "Get Involved" button. It's a heading, with two buttons
>> beneath it.
>>
>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/lp_screenshot.png
>
> Sorry, none of the links from my searching returned led to that page.

Really? This is the exact same page Paul told you to visit, and you said
you did. Here's the quote from Paul again:

"Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the name
"xsane". This is the tricky part. The one you want is usually named
something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu". Click on that."

The page in my screenshot is called "xsane" packagein Ubuntu.
Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Anyway, filing a bug through Launchpad really isn't that hard. And don't
tell me you don't have time for a "purported bug reporting site
that doesn't let you report a bug". Obviously, Launchpad will let you
report a bug, if you spend less time ranting, and more time reporting.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Colin Law

On 26 July 2012 18:17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2012 13:09:03 Paul Smith did opine:
> Someone said if I wasn't logged in I should have gotten the logion screen
> at that point.
>
> But it went straight through.

In that case you were already logged in. It keeps me logged in for
weeks at a time.

Colin