Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Colin Law

Default xsane can't see my scanner unless I'm root

On 26 July 2012 12:35, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2012 07:27:39 Steve Flynn did opine:
>
>> On 26 July 2012 12:00, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Its your call Ubuntu, I've done the dance.
>>
>> ubuntu-bug is your friend.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>
> How so? It leads back to launchpad at Step 1, a difficult to access site,
> and which when I do log into it, is apparently read-only. And it apparently
> logged me out for inactivity in about 5 minutes. A Real User Friendly
> site. NOT.

I guess you did not read the ReportingBugs page very carefully.
Sections 4 and 5 tell you how to do it.

Hint: in a terminal type
ubuntu-bug <package_name>
where <package_name> is the app you want to file the bug against.

Not too difficult.

Colin

Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Colin Law

On 26 July 2012 13:15, Paul Smith <paul@mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 07:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> All well and good, except where the hell is the button to start entering a
>> new bug? This is the same situation I was in the last time I waded through
>> the launchpad login process quite some time back, and of course I'd
>> forgotten that password, so I had to screw around 10 minutes changing it
>> before I could log in. I didn't enter a report the last time either.
>
> I won't say Launchpad is easy or a good interface. The thing that
> really frustrates me about it is that there are so many entries for any
> given package, and only one of them is the one you want... but it's very
> hard to know (without prior information) which one it is. And the one
> you DON'T want is the most obvious one, that everyone will probably
> assume is the right one.
>
> Here's how I do it:
>
> Go to the main Launchpad page. There is a prominent search box. I
> enter the name of the package for which I want to report a bug (I know
> this is also problematic, because often you don't know the name of the
> package). For example I typed "xsane" here.
>
> Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the
> name "xsane". This is the tricky part. The one you want is usually
> named something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu". Click on that.
>
> Note the one you do NOT want is the "<pkg> in Launchpad" element. This
> is some kind of tracking item for the upstream release (as I understand
> it) and so you can't report bugs against it. And of course I can't find
> any way to jump from the upstream release item to the individual Ubuntu
> items. It's all very confusing. Don't click that link.
>
> Once you get to the main Ubuntu package management page for that
> package, on the right under the heading "Get Involved" will be a link
> "Report a Bug". I think it's pretty straightforward after that.
>

> There are probably seven other ways to do it, with at least 4 simpler
> than this. But, it works for me.

I think using ubuntu-bug is generally much simpler.

Colin

Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 08:07:34 Gene Heskett did opine:

> On Thursday 26 July 2012 07:27:39 Steve Flynn did opine:
> > On 26 July 2012 12:00, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > Its your call Ubuntu, I've done the dance.
> >
> > ubuntu-bug is your friend.
> >
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>
> How so? It leads back to launchpad at Step 1, a difficult to access
> site, and which when I do log into it, is apparently read-only. And it
> apparently logged me out for inactivity in about 5 minutes. A Real
> User Friendly site. NOT.
>
> You want bug reports filed? Make it possible to report the bug, and in
> this case, a bug report that includes a fix.
>
> Cheers, Gene

I am still puzzled. After having wasted 1.5 hours screwing around on
launchpad, your mention of ubuntu-bug was finally found while reading on
the site. But first a lot of blather about apport, which is command not
found. About half a page down is another mention of ubuntu-bug, which does
exist, but when the choices aren't applicable and you check "other" then it
complains no package found and exits. But 'ubuntu-bug sane' actually
worked. Now, if someone wants to change that to 'ubuntu-bug udev' it would
probably be a better fit.

Now, the puzzling part: Why send folks to waste all that time with
launchpad, when the data collection and bug filing script is right there on
their machine & only takes maybe 5 minutes to run including viewing the
report submitted?

Such useless blather about launchpad is at best, counter-productive, a
frustration generator and a monumental waste of time for a lot of people.

Plainly, it should be available in the system>administration pulldown.
Sadly, it is not.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Suffocating together ... would create heroic camaraderie.
-- Khan Noonian Singh, "Space Seed", stardate 3142.8

Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 08:29:03 Paul Smith did opine:

> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 07:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > All well and good, except where the hell is the button to start
> > entering a new bug? This is the same situation I was in the last
> > time I waded through the launchpad login process quite some time
> > back, and of course I'd forgotten that password, so I had to screw
> > around 10 minutes changing it before I could log in. I didn't enter
> > a report the last time either.
>
> I won't say Launchpad is easy or a good interface. The thing that
> really frustrates me about it is that there are so many entries for any
> given package, and only one of them is the one you want... but it's very
> hard to know (without prior information) which one it is. And the one
> you DON'T want is the most obvious one, that everyone will probably
> assume is the right one.
>
> Here's how I do it:
>
> Go to the main Launchpad page. There is a prominent search box. I
> enter the name of the package for which I want to report a bug (I know
> this is also problematic, because often you don't know the name of the
> package). For example I typed "xsane" here.
>
> Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the
> name "xsane". This is the tricky part. The one you want is usually
> named something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu". Click on that.

I did, was advised no bugs were filed against it. I closed the tab.

> Note the one you do NOT want is the "<pkg> in Launchpad" element. This
> is some kind of tracking item for the upstream release (as I understand
> it) and so you can't report bugs against it. And of course I can't find
> any way to jump from the upstream release item to the individual Ubuntu
> items. It's all very confusing. Don't click that link.

I did, closed the tab when it was obviously not what I wanted.

> Once you get to the main Ubuntu package management page for that
> package, on the right under the heading "Get Involved" will be a link
> "Report a Bug". I think it's pretty straightforward after that.

I did see a "Get Involved" button, but it was not accompanied by a "Report
a Bug" button.

> There are probably seven other ways to do it, with at least 4 simpler
> than this. But, it works for me.

So does ubuntu-bug. In fact, it Just Worked(TM). So why not just tell
folks to use what Just Works(TM), eg ubuntu-bug?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I want another RE-WRITE on my CEASAR SALAD!!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
C de-Avillez

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:18:36 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > There are probably seven other ways to do it, with at least 4
> > simpler than this. But, it works for me.
>
> I think using ubuntu-bug is generally much simpler.

In fact, ubuntu-bug is the *preferred* way to open bugs -- and it is
pretty much guaranteed to open a bug against an Ubuntu package.

The only drawback is one might still need to know the package name. For
that, 'apt-file' is a nice help (sudo apt-get install apt-file, then
read the man page, and try some).

Repeating: we do not want people (even us) directly opening bugs on LP
if at all possible. Preference is to use ubuntu-bug (which more and
more collects additional data to help bug work).

The OP case would work perfectly with 'ubuntu-bug', and guarantee the
minimum data on the bug (for example, Ubuntu version).

Cheers,

..C..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Colin Law

On 26 July 2012 13:26, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2012 08:07:34 Gene Heskett did opine:

>> > ubuntu-bug is your friend.
>> >
>> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>>
>> How so? It leads back to launchpad at Step 1, a difficult to access
>> site, and which when I do log into it, is apparently read-only. And it
>> apparently logged me out for inactivity in about 5 minutes. A Real
>> User Friendly site. NOT.
>>
>> You want bug reports filed? Make it possible to report the bug, and in
>> this case, a bug report that includes a fix.
>>
>> Cheers, Gene
>
> I am still puzzled. After having wasted 1.5 hours screwing around on
> launchpad, your mention of ubuntu-bug was finally found while reading on
> the site. But first a lot of blather about apport, which is command not
> found. About half a page down is another mention of ubuntu-bug, which does
> exist, but when the choices aren't applicable and you check "other" then it
> complains no package found and exits. But 'ubuntu-bug sane' actually
> worked. Now, if someone wants to change that to 'ubuntu-bug udev' it would
> probably be a better fit.
>
> Now, the puzzling part: Why send folks to waste all that time with
> launchpad, when the data collection and bug filing script is right there on
> their machine & only takes maybe 5 minutes to run including viewing the
> report submitted?
>
> Such useless blather about launchpad is at best, counter-productive, a
> frustration generator and a monumental waste of time for a lot of people.

I am not sure which useless blather you are talking about. Assuming
that you are talking about the ReportingBugs page then I don't see any
useless blather there. Could you point it out so the page can be
improved?

It is necessary to register with lauchpad in order to report a bug, so
that time was not wasted. If you had not already been logged on then
you would have been asked to when it submitted the bug. I agree that
a link to the ReportingBugs page from the front page of launchpad
would be a good idea.

> Plainly, it should be available in the system>administration pulldown.
> Sadly, it is not.

Possibly a good idea, but whether you want space taken up on the menu
for something that most people do very rarely is debatable.

If you click on the desktop then select Help from the menu in the top
bar in order to get the Ubuntu help, and put
report bug
in the search then it provides instructions on how to report a bug
using ubuntu-bug.

I /do/ think that the help should be available from the cog menu.

Colin

Old 07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:37:09 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> Once you get to the main Ubuntu package management page for that
>> package, on the right under the heading "Get Involved" will be a link
>> "Report a Bug". I think it's pretty straightforward after that.
>
> I did see a "Get Involved" button, but it was not accompanied by a "Report
> a Bug" button.

There is no "Get Involved" button. It's a heading, with two buttons beneath it.

http://www.arumes.com/temp/lp_screenshot.png

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Paul Smith

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 08:37 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the
> > name "xsane". This is the tricky part. The one you want is usually
> > named something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu". Click on that.
>
> I did, was advised no bugs were filed against it. I closed the tab.

I'm confused by your experience. When I search for "xsane" I get these
results:

https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=xsane

The first item in the list is the xsane in ubuntu item, clicking it
gives you this page:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane

which shows 96 new bugs and 2 open questions. To the right is a box
titled "Get Involved" and below that are two links, one for "Report a
Bug" and one for "Ask a Question".

Do you not see these?

Also you mentioned you were automatically logged out after 5 minutes; I
went to the page and I was still logged in from a very long time ago.
Maybe there's a preference.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 12:27:30 Colin Law did opine:

> On 26 July 2012 13:26, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2012 08:07:34 Gene Heskett did opine:
> >> On Thursday 26 July 2012 07:27:39 Steve Flynn did opine:

> >> How so? It leads back to launchpad at Step 1, a difficult to access
> >> site, and which when I do log into it, is apparently read-only. And
> >> it apparently logged me out for inactivity in about 5 minutes. A
> >> Real User Friendly site. NOT.
> >>
> >> You want bug reports filed? Make it possible to report the bug, and
> >> in this case, a bug report that includes a fix.
> >>
> >> Cheers, Gene
> >
> > I am still puzzled. After having wasted 1.5 hours screwing around on
> > launchpad, your mention of ubuntu-bug was finally found while reading
> > on the site. But first a lot of blather about apport, which is
> > command not found. About half a page down is another mention of
> > ubuntu-bug, which does exist, but when the choices aren't applicable
> > and you check "other" then it complains no package found and exits.
> > But 'ubuntu-bug sane' actually worked. Now, if someone wants to
> > change that to 'ubuntu-bug udev' it would probably be a better fit.
> >
> > Now, the puzzling part: Why send folks to waste all that time with
> > launchpad, when the data collection and bug filing script is right
> > there on their machine & only takes maybe 5 minutes to run including
> > viewing the report submitted?
> >
> > Such useless blather about launchpad is at best, counter-productive, a
> > frustration generator and a monumental waste of time for a lot of
> > people.
>
> I am not sure which useless blather you are talking about.

The blather on this list about filing bugs on launchpad. Its counter-
productive to send someone to file a bug when you know well all they will
get on that site is frustrated & ready to shoot the next cat that wanders
by.

> Assuming
> that you are talking about the ReportingBugs page then I don't see any
> useless blather there. Could you point it out so the page can be
> improved?

What is this "apport" that is written about, above any references to
ubuntu-bug? It doesn't exist, at least on my 10.04-4 LTS 32 bit system.
Web servers can and do determine the OS, version and architecture of the
machine accessing them. Stuff that does not apply to the client coming in
looking for help, shouldn't be distracted by info that does not apply to
_their_ system. That to me, is the 'useless blather'.

> It is necessary to register with lauchpad in order to report a bug, so
> that time was not wasted. If you had not already been logged on then
> you would have been asked to when it submitted the bug. I agree that
> a link to the ReportingBugs page from the front page of launchpad
> would be a good idea.

Jolly Good(TM)

> > Plainly, it should be available in the system>administration pulldown.
> > Sadly, it is not.
>
> Possibly a good idea, but whether you want space taken up on the menu
> for something that most people do very rarely is debatable.

If it was there, I can virtually guarantee 2 things.

First, a lot less mewling about bugs on this list because there would be a
relatively easy way to do it.

Second, a lot more niggling little bugs would get filed, With the
accompanying info possibly even being helpful in solving the bugs.

That would have to result in a far more stable install than what I have
here right now. I have yet to achieve an uptime of more than 18 days.

It ought to be 18 years!

Sounds like a win-win to me.

But, next non-silly-to-me question:

Can I use ubuntu-bug to report a problem with kmail?

I've been a kmail user for more than a decade, so just enough kde is
installed that I can run kmail here. The window manager is still gdm & etc.

That has its advantages too, in that I just discovered that digikam isn't
nearly as broken under gdm, actually working without a lot of fiddly stuff,
and much more configurable, unlike when it has been run from a full kde
install. That was a most pleasant surprise. Kudo's to whomever merged
that. A Very Nice job indeed.

> If you click on the desktop then select Help from the menu in the top
> bar in order to get the Ubuntu help, and put
> report bug
> in the search then it provides instructions on how to report a bug
> using ubuntu-bug.

That also doesn't seem to be common knowledge. Particularly for someone
coming to gnome from kde. I am not bashful about my hate for gnomes
insistent nannying.
Like the "are you sure" when I click the button on mc that should be the
quit button. The real F10 key calls up some totally useless menu, and if I
could find where that is, it would get nuked, with extreme shoot to kill
prejudice.

95% of that nannying that is not security related could go away tomorrow
and I'd celebrate. Not sure what with, I quit smoking 23 years ago, and as
a diabetic, my beers a night limit is 2. It doesn't do any good to chase
the missus, I can't do anything with her when I catch her. So I guess I'd
have to settle for a few loud yee-haws. ;-)

> I /do/ think that the help should be available from the cog menu.

cog? Sorry, that acronym flew right by me.

> Colin

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If the shoe fits, it's ugly.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 26 July 2012 13:06:27 Robert Spanjaard did opine:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:37:09 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Once you get to the main Ubuntu package management page for that
> >> package, on the right under the heading "Get Involved" will be a link
> >> "Report a Bug". I think it's pretty straightforward after that.
> >
> > I did see a "Get Involved" button, but it was not accompanied by a
> > "Report a Bug" button.
>
> There is no "Get Involved" button. It's a heading, with two buttons
> beneath it.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/lp_screenshot.png

Sorry, none of the links from my searching returned led to that page.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When all other means of communication fail, try words.