-   -   clipboard, or copy/paste failures (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/687237-clipboard-copy-paste-failures.html)

Gene Heskett 07-25-2012 10:17 AM

clipboard, or copy/paste failures

Greets all;

These seem to be pretty endemic on 10.04-4 LTS. 4 machines/installs are
affected here.

The copy, by sliding the mouse curser over the text to highlight it seems
to work as well as ever, but when I change workspaces and try to MMB paste,
there isn't anything there.

What do I need to check?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
In Pocatello, Idaho, a law passed in 1912 provided that "The carrying
of concealed weapons is forbidden, unless same are exhibited to public
view."

rikona 07-25-2012 05:56 PM

clipboard, or copy/paste failures

Hello Gene,

Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 3:17:11 AM, Gene wrote:

> Greets all;

> These seem to be pretty endemic on 10.04-4 LTS. 4 machines/installs are
> affected here.

> The copy, by sliding the mouse curser over the text to highlight it seems
> to work as well as ever, but when I change workspaces and try to MMB paste,
> there isn't anything there.

> What do I need to check?

Not sure what to check - works OK here in latest updated 10.04...

--

rikona

Gene Heskett 07-25-2012 08:19 PM

clipboard, or copy/paste failures

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:09:53 rikona did opine:

> Hello Gene,
>
> Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 3:17:11 AM, Gene wrote:
> > Greets all;
> >
> > These seem to be pretty endemic on 10.04-4 LTS. 4 machines/installs
> > are affected here.
> >
> > The copy, by sliding the mouse curser over the text to highlight it
> > seems to work as well as ever, but when I change workspaces and try
> > to MMB paste, there isn't anything there.
> >
> > What do I need to check?
>
> Not sure what to check - works OK here in latest updated 10.04...

I did fix the scanner in another thread, but no clue if I screwed up
somewhere else. I went browsing an old drive, imported the
/etc/xinetd.d/saned file after installing xinetd, didn't help, then I found
a 90k udev file that covered it on one of my old installs (there was very
little in my /etc/udev.d directory, so that made it about 10x bigger)
pulled it in, and did a service udev restart. Then I shut the printer off
while tailing the log, and turned it back on. Looks like that was the
magic twanger, because before the printer was done priming its nozzles and
wasting $5 worth of ink, xsane had found it running as me.

Now the next problem is the copy/paste, it doesn't paste with a MMB press
95% of the time. But that is another question already asked earlier today,
which hasn't generated a helpful reply yet till this one. Which isn't
help, but you answered, thank you.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
These days the necessities of life cost you about three times what they
used to, and half the time they aren't even fit to drink.

Colin Law 07-25-2012 08:33 PM

On 25 July 2012 21:19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:09:53 rikona did opine:
>
>> Hello Gene,
>>
>> Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 3:17:11 AM, Gene wrote:
>> > Greets all;
>> >
>> > These seem to be pretty endemic on 10.04-4 LTS. 4 machines/installs
>> > are affected here.
>> >
>> > The copy, by sliding the mouse curser over the text to highlight it
>> > seems to work as well as ever, but when I change workspaces and try
>> > to MMB paste, there isn't anything there.
>> >
>> > What do I need to check?
>>
>> Not sure what to check - works OK here in latest updated 10.04...
> [snip stuff related to another thread]
> Now the next problem is the copy/paste, it doesn't paste with a MMB press
> 95% of the time. But that is another question already asked earlier today,
> which hasn't generated a helpful reply yet till this one. Which isn't
> help, but you answered, thank you.

When you say it fails 95% of the time do you mean that if you repeat
the copy paste between the same apps with the same workspaces and so
on, that it is inconsistent? So just go to one app mark, go the other,
MMB, and go backwards and forwards multiple times, but with different
text, that it is inconsistent? If you find that it /is/ consistent,
so in some situations it works and in others it does not then try to
identify the significant factors that make it work or fail. Then we
will have something to go on.

For example you talk about switching workspaces. Is that significant?

Colin

Gene Heskett 07-25-2012 08:54 PM

clipboard, or copy/paste failures

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:47:31 Colin Law did opine:

> On 25 July 2012 21:19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:09:53 rikona did opine:

> >> Not sure what to check - works OK here in latest updated 10.04...
> >
> > [snip stuff related to another thread]
> > Now the next problem is the copy/paste, it doesn't paste with a MMB
> > press 95% of the time. But that is another question already asked
> > earlier today, which hasn't generated a helpful reply yet till this
> > one. Which isn't help, but you answered, thank you.
>
> When you say it fails 95% of the time do you mean that if you repeat
> the copy paste between the same apps with the same workspaces and so
> on, that it is inconsistent? So just go to one app mark, go the other,
> MMB, and go backwards and forwards multiple times, but with different
> text, that it is inconsistent? If you find that it /is/ consistent,
> so in some situations it works and in others it does not then try to
> identify the significant factors that make it work or fail. Then we
> will have something to go on.
>
> For example you talk about switching workspaces. Is that significant?
>
> Colin

I have no clue if its significant or not. If it is going to work, it will
work although since my MMB is also the wheel, it may not work if it detects
wheel motion, so that has about a 50% success rate. If its not going to
work, no amount of pressing the MMB will make it work. The copy source may
be a gedit screen, or a session of less, the target is usually a gedit
screen.

And I definitely doesn't work if the src copy is on another machine that I
am ssh -Y'd into. And that is where it would actually be the most useful
to me.

Where, on *buntu, is the clipboard actually ran from, I'd like to restart
it to see if there is any correlation with that.

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Marriage is a ghastly public confession of a strictly private intention.

Colin Law 07-25-2012 09:06 PM

On 25 July 2012 21:54, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:47:31 Colin Law did opine:
>
>> On 25 July 2012 21:19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:09:53 rikona did opine:

>> > [snip stuff related to another thread]
>> > Now the next problem is the copy/paste, it doesn't paste with a MMB
>> > press 95% of the time. But that is another question already asked
>> > earlier today, which hasn't generated a helpful reply yet till this
>> > one. Which isn't help, but you answered, thank you.
>>
>> When you say it fails 95% of the time do you mean that if you repeat
>> the copy paste between the same apps with the same workspaces and so
>> on, that it is inconsistent? So just go to one app mark, go the other,
>> MMB, and go backwards and forwards multiple times, but with different
>> text, that it is inconsistent? If you find that it /is/ consistent,
>> so in some situations it works and in others it does not then try to
>> identify the significant factors that make it work or fail. Then we
>> will have something to go on.
>>
>> For example you talk about switching workspaces. Is that significant?
>>
>> Colin
>
> I have no clue if its significant or not.

I presume you meant consistent. Well we certainly don't have a clue
whether it is consistent on your machine. You must work it out. I
suggest experimenting with different apps and finding the pattern
there.

> If it is going to work, it will
> work although since my MMB is also the wheel, it may not work if it detects
> wheel motion, so that has about a 50% success rate. If its not going to
> work, no amount of pressing the MMB will make it work. The copy source may
> be a gedit screen, or a session of less, the target is usually a gedit
> screen.
>
> And I definitely doesn't work if the src copy is on another machine that I
> am ssh -Y'd into. And that is where it would actually be the most useful
> to me.

I suggest not homing in on that example initially as it adds extra
complications. If you can find other examples that consistently work
and some that consistently fail then that might help. At least others
can try exactly what you are doing and confirm whether they see an
issue.

Also tell us which version of Ubuntu and anything unusual such as a
non-standard display manager (ie not Unity). I realise you may have
told us that already, but humour me.

Colin

Gene Heskett 07-26-2012 01:24 AM

clipboard, or copy/paste failures

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 21:18:26 Colin Law did opine:

> On 25 July 2012 21:54, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> >> When you say it fails 95% of the time do you mean that if you repeat
> >> the copy paste between the same apps with the same workspaces and so
> >> on, that it is inconsistent? So just go to one app mark, go the
> >> other, MMB, and go backwards and forwards multiple times, but with
> >> different text, that it is inconsistent? If you find that it /is/
> >> consistent, so in some situations it works and in others it does not
> >> then try to identify the significant factors that make it work or
> >> fail. Then we will have something to go on.
> >>
> >> For example you talk about switching workspaces. Is that
> >> significant?
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > I have no clue if its significant or not.
>
> I presume you meant consistent. Well we certainly don't have a clue
> whether it is consistent on your machine. You must work it out. I
> suggest experimenting with different apps and finding the pattern
> there.
>
> > If it is going to work, it will
> >
> > work although since my MMB is also the wheel, it may not work if it
> > detects wheel motion, so that has about a 50% success rate. If its
> > not going to work, no amount of pressing the MMB will make it work.
> > The copy source may be a gedit screen, or a session of less, the
> > target is usually a gedit screen.
> >
> > And I definitely doesn't work if the src copy is on another machine
> > that I am ssh -Y'd into. And that is where it would actually be the
> > most useful to me.
>
> I suggest not homing in on that example initially as it adds extra
> complications. If you can find other examples that consistently work
> and some that consistently fail then that might help. At least others
> can try exactly what you are doing and confirm whether they see an
> issue.
>
> Also tell us which version of Ubuntu and anything unusual such as a
> non-standard display manager (ie not Unity). I realise you may have
> told us that already, but humour me.
>
> Colin

10.04-4 LTS, with a frozen kernel because its built to run with rtai,
controlling metalworking machinery.

Something else I might toss into the clue pile, it never works if either
end of the thing is gedit. A copy from vim's screen will generally work,
but vims copy seems to be a direct screen scrape, so the resultant paste
needs heavy duty corrections since the white space will be AFU in the
paste.

I'll keep track of what I'm doing a little better & see if at some point I
can make 2+2=4.

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Schmidt's Observation:
All things being equal, a fat person uses more soap
than a thin person.