FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Roger
 
Default Problem with Updatemanager and apt-get upgrade

We have Ubuntu Precise on all machines here.

On the Dell laptop there is an issue I cannot resolve and would
appreciate some help if possible please.


Running apt-get update && apt-get upgrade as sudo su, I get an error
message as below.

I have run apt-get autoremove on each one, then apt-get autoclean
Googled MaxReports - /var/crash is empty, there is no .crash file as
mentioned in

http://languor.us/kubuntu-precise-no-apport-report-written-because-maxreports-reached-already.

Tried removing the files reported as no longer required, they will not
remove.


Still get the MaxReports error

Thanks in advance
Roger

Error message:
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
required:
libbuilder-ruby1.8 libindicator6 libx264-116 unity-2d-launcher
librack-ruby1.8 libgtkspell3-0 libminiupnpc5
libi18n-ruby1.8 libmusicbrainz4c2a libvpx0 libmagickcore3
libmagick++3 libmagickwand3 libmagickcore3-extra

libnl3 libattica0 libid3tag0 libindicator3-6 libnatpmp1 unity-2d-places
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Suggested packages:
sun-java6-fonts ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-gothic
ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-telugu-fonts

ttf-oriya-fonts ttf-kannada-fonts ttf-bengali-fonts
The following packages will be upgraded:
openjdk-6-jre-headless
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
17 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 27.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 239 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main
openjdk-6-jre-headless i386 6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1 [27.3 MB]

Fetched 27.3 MB in 59s (458 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 339546 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace openjdk-6-jre-headless 6b24-1.11.1-4ubuntu2 (using
.../openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement openjdk-6-jre-headless ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk', which is also
in package default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2

No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors
were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Tim Frost
 
Default Problem with Updatemanager and apt-get upgrade

Roger,


Your message shows several separate items to be addressed:
1: packages that are no longer needed
2: a crash (or possible previous crash)
3: install failure because of a symbolic link 'owned' by the wrong
package

Item 3 is the critical one. It appears that the versions of
openjdk-6-jre-headless and of default-jre-headless on that laptop *both*
claim to own the symbolic link /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk:
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk', which is also
in package default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2



My system (64-bit precise) has
default-jre-headless: 1:1.6-43ubuntu2
openjdk-6-jre-headless: 6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.12.04.1

and the link is owned by default-jre-headless:
$ ls -ld /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Dec 3 2011 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk
-> java-1.6.0-openjdk-amd64
$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk
default-jre-headless: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk

So the conflict doesn't exist for 64-bit systems.


This looks like a packaging bug between openjdk-6-jre-headless
6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1 and default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2 on
32-bit systems.


On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 17:28 +1000, Roger wrote:
> We have Ubuntu Precise on all machines here.
>
> On the Dell laptop there is an issue I cannot resolve and would
> appreciate some help if possible please.
>
> Running apt-get update && apt-get upgrade as sudo su, I get an error
> message as below.
> I have run apt-get autoremove on each one, then apt-get autoclean
> Googled MaxReports - /var/crash is empty, there is no .crash file as
> mentioned in
> http://languor.us/kubuntu-precise-no-apport-report-written-because-maxreports-reached-already.
>
> Tried removing the files reported as no longer required, they will not
> remove.
>
> Still get the MaxReports error
>
> Thanks in advance
> Roger
>
> Error message:
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
> libbuilder-ruby1.8 libindicator6 libx264-116 unity-2d-launcher
> librack-ruby1.8 libgtkspell3-0 libminiupnpc5
> libi18n-ruby1.8 libmusicbrainz4c2a libvpx0 libmagickcore3
> libmagick++3 libmagickwand3 libmagickcore3-extra
> libnl3 libattica0 libid3tag0 libindicator3-6 libnatpmp1 unity-2d-places
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> Suggested packages:
> sun-java6-fonts ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-gothic
> ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-telugu-fonts
> ttf-oriya-fonts ttf-kannada-fonts ttf-bengali-fonts
> The following packages will be upgraded:
> openjdk-6-jre-headless
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
> 17 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 27.3 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 239 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main
> openjdk-6-jre-headless i386 6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1 [27.3 MB]
> Fetched 27.3 MB in 59s (458 kB/s)
> (Reading database ... 339546 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace openjdk-6-jre-headless 6b24-1.11.1-4ubuntu2 (using
> .../openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement openjdk-6-jre-headless ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10..1_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk', which is also
> in package default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2
> No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
> Errors
> were encountered while processing:
> /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>

--
Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz>
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Roger
 
Default Problem with Updatemanager and apt-get upgrade

Tim thanks for your reply.



yes* ls -ld /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk shows the link.

I am puzzled because we have had 64 bit on the laptop for a couple
of years or more.



I did unlink /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk but error remains.

What steps should be followed to remove offending packages and
reset the system?



This is way out of my league so pointers or specific directions
would greatly assist.

Thanks in advance

Roger









Roger,


Your message shows several separate items to be addressed:
1: packages that are no longer needed
2: a crash (or possible previous crash)
3: install failure because of a symbolic link 'owned' by the wrong
package

Item 3 is the critical one. It appears that the versions of
openjdk-6-jre-headless and of default-jre-headless on that laptop *both*
claim to own the symbolic link /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk:
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk', which is also
in package default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2



My system (64-bit precise) has
default-jre-headless: 1:1.6-43ubuntu2
openjdk-6-jre-headless: 6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.12.04.1

and the link is owned by default-jre-headless:
$ ls -ld /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Dec 3 2011 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk
-> java-1.6.0-openjdk-amd64
$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk
default-jre-headless: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk

So the conflict doesn't exist for 64-bit systems.


This looks like a packaging bug between openjdk-6-jre-headless
6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1 and default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2 on
32-bit systems.


On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 17:28 +1000, Roger wrote:


We have Ubuntu Precise on all machines here.

On the Dell laptop there is an issue I cannot resolve and would
appreciate some help if possible please.

Running apt-get update && apt-get upgrade as sudo su, I get an error
message as below.
I have run apt-get autoremove on each one, then apt-get autoclean
Googled MaxReports - /var/crash is empty, there is no .crash file as
mentioned in
http://languor.us/kubuntu-precise-no-apport-report-written-because-maxreports-reached-already.

Tried removing the files reported as no longer required, they will not
remove.

Still get the MaxReports error

Thanks in advance
Roger

Error message:
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
required:
libbuilder-ruby1.8 libindicator6 libx264-116 unity-2d-launcher
librack-ruby1.8 libgtkspell3-0 libminiupnpc5
libi18n-ruby1.8 libmusicbrainz4c2a libvpx0 libmagickcore3
libmagick++3 libmagickwand3 libmagickcore3-extra
libnl3 libattica0 libid3tag0 libindicator3-6 libnatpmp1 unity-2d-places
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Suggested packages:
sun-java6-fonts ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-gothic
ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-telugu-fonts
ttf-oriya-fonts ttf-kannada-fonts ttf-bengali-fonts
The following packages will be upgraded:
openjdk-6-jre-headless
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
17 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 27.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 239 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main
openjdk-6-jre-headless i386 6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1 [27.3 MB]
Fetched 27.3 MB in 59s (458 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 339546 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace openjdk-6-jre-headless 6b24-1.11.1-4ubuntu2 (using
.../openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement openjdk-6-jre-headless ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10..1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk', which is also
in package default-jre-headless 1:1.6-43ubuntu2
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors
were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)















--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Problem with Updatemanager and apt-get upgrade

On 24 July 2012 11:05, Roger <arelem@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Tim thanks for your reply.
>
> yes ls -ld /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk shows the link.
> I am puzzled because we have had 64 bit on the laptop for a couple of years
> or more.
>
> I did unlink /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk but error remains.
> What steps should be followed to remove offending packages and reset the
> system?
>
> This is way out of my league so pointers or specific directions would
> greatly assist.

Remove /all/ Java packages, then install the latest version that you
actually want.

Synaptic is a really simple way to see what you have installed. Enter
"java" in the search box, then click on the "installed" column header
to sort by that column.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Problem with Updatemanager and apt-get upgrade

On 07/24/2012 11:35 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 24 July 2012 11:05, Roger <arelem@bigpond.com> wrote:

Tim thanks for your reply.

yes ls -ld /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk shows the link.
I am puzzled because we have had 64 bit on the laptop for a couple of years
or more.

I did unlink /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk but error remains.
What steps should be followed to remove offending packages and reset the
system?

This is way out of my league so pointers or specific directions would
greatly assist.


Remove /all/ Java packages, then install the latest version that you
actually want.

Synaptic is a really simple way to see what you have installed. Enter
"java" in the search box, then click on the "installed" column header
to sort by that column.


Install the galternatives package to see what your system is using with
regards to every single alternative setting for each and every java app.
You'll find surprises in there, for sure! Once in awhile I go into it to
weed out update changes that muck it up. Ric




--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org