Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 AM
rswanson

Default Importing Kmail files from Kubuntu 6.06 to Kubuntu 11.10 : Solved

On 07/21/2012 07:16 PM, rswanson wrote:

I had to update my old system, (Kubuntu 6.06), and because the
files are so important to me as a listowner of a group , I backed up the
old drive and replaced it with a new HD and Kubuntu 11.10, but the new
kmail would not import the older kmail files. They are in the /Mail
folder, and are available, but the subject line is not readable.
I have tried importing the mail files with Kmail, Thunderbird, and
SeaMonkey, with no luck.
I installed the original Kubuntu HD in another computer, and I can
read the files, but that doesn't solve my problem.
Does anyone have any way to successfully import the older files to
my new system? Would it work to install another, older, Kubuntu system
and import the files that way? I can't just dump the system and start
again and there are too many files to do it manually. ( over 40,000 )
Thanks,
Bob

---------------------------
It isn't the most elegant solution, but putting the old drive in an
external USB box didn't work.
I physically added my source HD in the Kubuntu machine to the secondary
ATA cable.

I ensured that the driver was registered in the BIOS.
I booted the Kubuntu 11.10 system up, and mounded the old ( source) drive.
I started up kmail in the new system, opened the import file,
selected the appropriate kmail import location
( kmail Maildirs and folder structure )
and the rest was a no brainer. You have to watch the transfer because
in my case there were many files that would not transfer because they
were probably corrupted. When this happens, the transfer stopps and a
menu pops up that requires your action.

I was able to transfer all 64,000 files successfully!
Thrilled is not the word that describes how I feel right now.
I hope this is of use to someone.
Bob

Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

I am truly glad to see you get this resolved. If "import" didn't work
then it looked like you were hosed. Congrats. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html