Old 07-20-2012, 08:08 PM
"G. "

Default fail install ubuntu 12.04

Trying to install on a Samsung NC 110 The installer fails after I
select Install side by side with windows, Gparted does not see the
windows partition, Using the same USB on another computer and it sees
the windows partition.

This is a new hard disk factory installed replacement. I had Ubuntu
12 on the old one, it installed just fine, Did the factory tech do
something to prevent me from installing another operating system?
What else might be the problem?

Thanks

garyk

Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
"G. "

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to install on a Samsung NC 110 The installer fails after I
> select Install side by side with windows, Gparted does not see the
> windows partition, Using the same USB on another computer and it sees
> the windows partition.
>
> This is a new hard disk factory installed replacement. I had Ubuntu
> 12 on the old one, it installed just fine, Did the factory tech do
> something to prevent me from installing another operating system?
> What else might be the problem?
>
> Thanks
>

> garyk

When I say the installer fails, I mean the computer shuts down and reboots.

garyk

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 AM
"G. "

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Trying to install on a Samsung NC 110 The installer fails after I
>> select Install side by side with windows, Gparted does not see the
>> windows partition, Using the same USB on another computer and it sees
>> the windows partition.
>>
>> This is a new hard disk factory installed replacement. I had Ubuntu
>> 12 on the old one, it installed just fine, Did the factory tech do
>> something to prevent me from installing another operating system?
>> What else might be the problem?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> garyk
>
> When I say the installer fails, I mean the computer shuts down and reboots.
>

> garyk

I have checked MD5 sum (good). I redownloaded Ubuntu 12.04 rechecked
MD5 sum all with the same result.

I booted Gparted usb (just Gparted on it) and it reads the partitions.
I deleted sda 3 as there was nothing on it. I still got the same
result when I tried to install Ubuntu.

Any thoughts?

garyk

Old 07-21-2012, 08:06 AM
"G. "

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Trying to install on a Samsung NC 110 The installer fails after I
>>> select Install side by side with windows, Gparted does not see the
>>> windows partition, Using the same USB on another computer and it sees
>>> the windows partition.
>>>
>>> This is a new hard disk factory installed replacement. I had Ubuntu
>>> 12 on the old one, it installed just fine, Did the factory tech do
>>> something to prevent me from installing another operating system?
>>> What else might be the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> garyk
>>
>> When I say the installer fails, I mean the computer shuts down and reboots.
>>

>> garyk
>
> I have checked MD5 sum (good). I redownloaded Ubuntu 12.04 rechecked
> MD5 sum all with the same result.
>
> I booted Gparted usb (just Gparted on it) and it reads the partitions.
> I deleted sda 3 as there was nothing on it. I still got the same
> result when I tried to install Ubuntu.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> garyk

The other thing I noticed is that the partitioner has been displaying
the partitioner screen twice (until I reinstalled the second download
of Ubuntu 12). I refer to the screen which asks if you want to
install the system next to Windows, or on entire hard disk etc. If I
let is sit there it just shuts down and reboots.

I have also tried installing Lubuntu 12.04. Same results.

garyk

Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Ric Moore

Trying to install on a Samsung NC 110 The installer fails after I
select Install side by side with windows, Gparted does not see the
windows partition, Using the same USB on another computer and it sees
the windows partition.

This is a new hard disk factory installed replacement. I had Ubuntu
12 on the old one, it installed just fine, Did the factory tech do
something to prevent me from installing another operating system?
What else might be the problem?

Thanks

garyk

When I say the installer fails, I mean the computer shuts down and reboots.

Check to see if your bios has boot write protection on. What ever
security features you find in the bios, turn them off. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html