Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

Default MATE Desktop

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:24:01 +0100, Graham Todd wrote:

> Are there any plans to offer an option for the MATE desktop at the
> system install in future versions of Ubuntu?
>
> Being very like the Gnome 2 Desktop, MATE offers people who cannot get
> on with the Unity shell and people who just would like to try the MATE
> desktop the option to do so, without messing about with the official
> GNOME 3 Desktop.

Are you joking? Are you asking if Canonical is going to shoot in its own
foot? :-)

Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
"Jeff G."

On 07/20/2012 11:24 AM, Graham Todd wrote:

Are there any plans to offer an option for the MATE desktop at the
system install in future versions of Ubuntu?

Dunno about Ubuntu - maybe the best way to go would be with Mint 13
which has a Mate version.

Being very like the Gnome 2 Desktop, MATE offers people who cannot get
on with the Unity shell and people who just would like to try the MATE
desktop the option to do so, without messing about with the official
GNOME 3 Desktop.

Haven't I read here that one can revert to Gnome 2 if desired?
But I've been wrong before.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Adam Funk

On 2012-07-20, Graham Todd wrote:

> Are there any plans to offer an option for the MATE desktop at the
> system install in future versions of Ubuntu?
>
> Being very like the Gnome 2 Desktop, MATE offers people who cannot get
> on with the Unity shell and people who just would like to try the MATE
> desktop the option to do so, without messing about with the official
> GNOME 3 Desktop.

Maybe I missed something, or I'm misinterpreting your "messing about",
but I've been using GNOME Classic for a while now (since Unity was
introduced) & I've never felt forced to mess about with GNOME 3 (I've
logged into it a couple of times, found it insufficiently
customizable, & gone back to "classic").

Old 07-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Liam Proven

On 20 July 2012 19:24, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to offer an option for the MATE desktop at the
> system install in future versions of Ubuntu?

No. Ubuntu has never offered a choice of desktops in the main distro &
I doubt it ever will.

The closest has been the Netbook Remix.

If you want Ubuntu with a different desktop, there are remixes, e.g.
Kubuntu, Xubuntu etc.

There is an unofficial Maté remix, called Nota:
http://www.notalinux.com/

P.S. It is "Maté" after the tea, not "Mate" as in friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

If you can't type e-acute, you can copy & paste it from here:
http://copypastecharacter.com/

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Robert Holtzm

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 02:54:26PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> P.S. It is "Mat" after the tea, not "Mate" as in friend.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)
>
> If you can't type e-acute, you can copy & paste it from here:
> http://copypastecharacter.com/

The only place I found it is at the top of the page. Only problem is
that I can't copy and paste it from there.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Ryan Gauger

Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Liam Proven

On 22 July 2012 08:00, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 22.07.2012 04:20, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>> Luckily, you can use those characters with iOS. I just haven't been
>> because I didn't know the e was accented. Thanks for the
>> information, Liam!
>
> I wonder where did this info come from. I cannot see MATE with
> accented e anywhere in http://mate-desktop.org/ .

More reading is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

Quote:
«
Mate (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate], Portuguese pronunciation:
['matʃi]; sometimes also spelled Maté)
»

> Also if it comes from tea instead of friend, how do you explain text
> of photo at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/ .

[Sigh]

Again, do a bit more reading.
From http://mate-desktop.org/about/

«
Where does the name come from?

The name “MATE” comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to
subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to
make infusions and a beverage called mate.
»

As for why they use MATE instead of MATÉ, this might be the reason:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071029042936AARnbuS

Also see:
http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-capitalization3.htm

Quote:
«
there are two instances where you should always use accents on capital letters:

When the accent or lack thereof distinguishes between two words.
»

In Spanish, a terminal E is voiced anyway. "Mate" is pronounced mah-TAY.

The only use of the acute accent - ´ - is to highlight the syllable
where the stress falls: e.g. concepción. Normally in Spanish the 2nd
syllable is stressed; the acute indicates that it falls elsewhere.

The e on the end of mate /is/ the 2nd syllable, so the acute accent is
redundant & often omitted.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89#Spanish

Not so in English where a syllable-terminal e merely serves to
lengthen the preceding vowel:

mat = "MAH-t" -> mate = "MAY-t"

The lead developer on the Maté desktop is Argentinian & thus a native
hispanophone.

/Quod erat demonstrandum./

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Bill Stanley

< SNIP >

I wonder where did this info come from. I cannot see MATE with
accented e anywhere in http://mate-desktop.org/ .

Also if it comes from tea instead of friend, how do you explain text
of photo at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/ .

And all the time I thought the name MATE was from the world of chess, an
in checkmate! ( Duck! )

< SNIP >

Old 07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Adam Funk

On 2012-07-21, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 20 July 2012 19:24, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are there any plans to offer an option for the MATE desktop at the
>> system install in future versions of Ubuntu?
>
> No. Ubuntu has never offered a choice of desktops in the main distro &
> I doubt it ever will.

What do you mean by "in the main distro"? I have what I think of as
the main distro & packages are available to run GNOME 3, GNOME
Classic, XFCE, &c.

I'm using GNOME Classic and I didn't find it difficult to add,
although it wasn't installed by default.