Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Patrick Asselman

Default MATE Desktop

On 2012-07-25 02:43, NoOp wrote:

On 07/24/2012 08:01 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

AFAIK "MATE" doesn't stand for anything - it's not a backronym - and
he's explicitly said it's named after the tea, so I think Mat is
the

least-confusing, most-helpful spelling.

He?

I'll repeat:
====

<http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/>

He spells it "MATE" (notice it is all caps) And I reckon that
Perberos

knows how to type an e-acute... "Y las instrucciones para construir
estn en el Wiki de mate-desktop.org (ingls)".

====

But I think we've spent enough time on this. Perhaps you can send
Perberos an email and ask him directly & blog about it somewhere
else.

AFAIC this subject is like trying to help a list moderator with his
website...

His point is that the pronounciation has a "stressed vowel" on the last
E. This does not require an acute accent in Spanish. But to avoid
English speakers mispronouncing the word, it would be good to add the
acute accent in English texts. So you are both right: there is not to be
an acute accent formally, but the pronounciation is such that the acute
accent would be beneficial in English texts.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Old 07-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 July 2012 21:12, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:

>>> No. Ubuntu has never offered a choice of desktops in the main distro &
>>> I doubt it ever will.
>>
>> What do you mean by "in the main distro"? I have what I think of as
>> the main distro & packages are available to run GNOME 3, GNOME
>> Classic, XFCE, &c.
>>
>> I'm using GNOME Classic and I didn't find it difficult to add,
>> although it wasn't installed by default.
>
> Your last line answers the question in your first.
>
> When you install Ubuntu, it does not ask you what desktop you want. By
> comparison, other distribution, such as SUSE, Mandriva or Debian, do.
>
> Only 1 desktop comes on the Ubuntu CD. Others must be downloaded &
> installed. The same is true of all the remixes, too.

Very strange thread!

Ubuntu's no different from Debian (or Fedora but the latter's not
mentioned above).

You only have one DE per CD for all three, except for Debian's "xfce+lxde" CD.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Graham Todd

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:22:33 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> When you install Ubuntu, it does not ask you what desktop you want. By
> comparison, other distribution, such as SUSE, Mandriva or Debian, do.
>
> Only 1 desktop comes on the Ubuntu CD. Others must be downloaded &
> installed. The same is true of all the remixes, too.

Thanks Liam for that.

I just wondered if Ubuntu was going to offer MATE as an option, as I
think Canonical has done itself a disservice with introducing Gnome
3. I accept that development of software cannot stand still but I still
find difficulty in using Unity, and I thought I'd read somewhere that
the Gnome Classic desktop wouldn't be available in future.

Anyway, no matter how MATE should be spelt and pronounced, we Brits
(who use Linux) will no doubt call it Mate (as in friend). I don't
think it much matters as long as we all know to which desktop we refer.
After all most of us refer to our OS as Line-ux instead of Lin-ux, so I
cannot see why all this heat over the final E in MATE being accented,
is relevant, certainly in the English-speaking world.

-- Graham Todd

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Doug

Anyway, no matter how MATE should be spelt and pronounced, we Brits
(who use Linux) will no doubt call it Mate (as in friend). I don't
think it much matters as long as we all know to which desktop we refer.
After all most of us refer to our OS as Line-ux instead of Lin-ux, so I
cannot see why all this heat over the final E in MATE being accented,
is relevant, certainly in the English-speaking world.

-- Graham Todd

I think you Brits are correct in this. After all, Linux (Line-ux) was
invented by Linus (Line-us) Torwalds (SP?). I don't know why
most Americans like the "Lin" pronunciation.

Just my 2 --doug

Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Liam Proven

On 25 July 2012 22:43, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:22:33 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When you install Ubuntu, it does not ask you what desktop you want. By
>> comparison, other distribution, such as SUSE, Mandriva or Debian, do.
>>
>> Only 1 desktop comes on the Ubuntu CD. Others must be downloaded &
>> installed. The same is true of all the remixes, too.
>
> Thanks Liam for that.
>
> I just wondered if Ubuntu was going to offer MATE as an option, as I
> think Canonical has done itself a disservice with introducing Gnome
> 3.

Um. It hasn't. It's built its own, different desktop rather than use
GNOME Shell.

> I accept that development of software cannot stand still but I still
> find difficulty in using Unity,

I'm sorry to hear that.

> and I thought I'd read somewhere that
> the Gnome Classic desktop wouldn't be available in future.

True. A new software rendering system means that both GNOME 3 fallback
mode /and/ Unity-2D are going away.

> Anyway, no matter how MATE should be spelt and pronounced, we Brits
> (who use Linux) will no doubt call it Mate (as in friend). I don't
> think it much matters as long as we all know to which desktop we refer.
> After all most of us refer to our OS as Line-ux instead of Lin-ux, so I
> cannot see why all this heat over the final E in MATE being accented,
> is relevant, certainly in the English-speaking world.

Well, you might be right, but if so, I will correct them, same as I do
/in re/ Linux.

It's "guh-nome" not "nome", "lynn-ucks" not "line-ucks", and "mar-tay"
not "mayt", and it always will be. :-)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Liam Proven

On 25 July 2012 23:15, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> I think you Brits are correct in this. After all, Linux (Line-ux) was
> invented by Linus (Line-us) Torwalds (SP?). I don't know why
> most Americans like the "Lin" pronunciation.

Linus is one of the 300,000-odd /finlandssvenskar/ - a
Swedish-speaking native of Finland. He does not speak Finnish (or only
a little).

He pronounces his name "lee-nooss" and his OS as "lee-nooks", and it's
his, so his word is inerrant. :-)

Swedish long vowels sound a little odd in English so our "linn-ucks"
is just an approximation.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884