Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM
NoOp

Default MATE Desktop

On 07/22/2012 06:41 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 22 July 2012 08:00, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder where did this info come from. I cannot see MATE with
>> accented e anywhere in http://mate-desktop.org/ .
>
> More reading is needed.

Indeed.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)
>
> Quote:
> «
> Mate (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate], Portuguese pronunciation:
> ['matʃi]; sometimes also spelled Maté)

And keep in mind that you are insisting that the spelling is "Maté"...

>> Also if it comes from tea instead of friend, how do you explain text
>> of photo at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/ .
>
> [Sigh]
>
> Again, do a bit more reading.

[Sigh] Yes please do.

> From http://mate-desktop.org/about/
>
> «
> Where does the name come from?
>
> The name “MATE” comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to
> subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to
> make infusions and a beverage called mate.

<http://mate-desktop.org/about/#comment-1468>
"Germán on July 17, 2012 at 9:29 am said
It is “mate” without accent and not “maté” with accent, as you wrote in
the wikipedia link. I know because I drink mate every day of my life"
(Germán is from Argentina)

> »
>
> As for why they use MATE instead of MATÉ, this might be the reason:
>
> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071029042936AARnbuS
>
> Also see:
> http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-capitalization3.htm

How about this instead (from the wikipedia link you so kindly provided
yet perhaps didn't bother to read):

"Name

Both the spellings "mate" and "maté" are used in English.[3][4][5] The
acute accent on the final letter is likely added as a hyperforeignism,
and serves to indicate that the word and its pronunciation are distinct
from the common English word "mate". But, the Yerba Mate Association of
the Americas states that it is always incorrect to accent the second
syllable, since this creates confusion with an unrelated Spanish word
for killing.[6] ("maté" literally means "I killed" in Spanish)."

> The lead developer on the Maté desktop is Argentinian & thus a native
> hispanophone.

Perhaps he uses:
<http://comex.lasmarias.com.ar/eng/detalle.php?a=yerba-mate-tea&t=3&d=1>

Old 07-22-2012, 11:26 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2012 06:41 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> The lead developer on the Mat desktop is Argentinian & thus a native
> hispanophone.

That's odd, his web page doesn't reflect that:

<http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/>

He spells it "MATE" (notice it is all caps) And I reckon that Perberos
knows how to type an e-acute... "Y las instrucciones para construir
estn en el Wiki de mate-desktop.org (ingls)".

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Ryan Gauger

Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Liam Proven

On 22 July 2012 21:12, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On 2012-07-21, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 20 July 2012 19:24, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Are there any plans to offer an option for the MATE desktop at the
>>> system install in future versions of Ubuntu?
>>
>> No. Ubuntu has never offered a choice of desktops in the main distro &
>> I doubt it ever will.
>
> What do you mean by "in the main distro"? I have what I think of as
> the main distro & packages are available to run GNOME 3, GNOME
> Classic, XFCE, &c.
>
> I'm using GNOME Classic and I didn't find it difficult to add,
> although it wasn't installed by default.

Your last line answers the question in your first.

When you install Ubuntu, it does not ask you what desktop you want. By
comparison, other distribution, such as SUSE, Mandriva or Debian, do.

Only 1 desktop comes on the Ubuntu CD. Others must be downloaded &
installed. The same is true of all the remixes, too.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
sam tygier

On 21/07/12 14:54, Liam Proven wrote:
> P.S. It is "Mat" after the tea, not "Mate" as in friend.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)
>
> If you can't type e-acute, you can copy & paste it from here:
> http://copypastecharacter.com/

Originally it was named Mat, but it looks like they just call it MATE these days.
http://mate-desktop.org/

I'm not sure Ubuntu will pick up mate into the official repos (i dont really understand why, they have enough other DEs and WMs in there).
You can just install it from http://mate-desktop.org/install/#ubuntu on top of a standard ubuntu, which seems fairly popular (1300 installs on popcon) http://popcon.ubuntu.com/unknown/by_inst , Or just use MINT.

Sam

Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Liam Proven

On 22 July 2012 22:29, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/22/2012 06:41 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 22 July 2012 08:00, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I wonder where did this info come from. I cannot see MATE with
>>> accented e anywhere in http://mate-desktop.org/ .
>>
>> More reading is needed.
>
> Indeed.
>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)
>>
>> Quote:
>> «
>> Mate (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate], Portuguese pronunciation:
>> ['matʃi]; sometimes also spelled Maté)
>
> And keep in mind that you are insisting that the spelling is "Maté"...
>

>>> Also if it comes from tea instead of friend, how do you explain text
>>> of photo at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/ .
>>
>> [Sigh]
>>
>> Again, do a bit more reading.
>
> [Sigh] Yes please do.
>
>> From http://mate-desktop.org/about/
>>
>> «
>> Where does the name come from?
>>
>> The name “MATE” comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to
>> subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to
>> make infusions and a beverage called mate.
>
> <http://mate-desktop.org/about/#comment-1468>
> "Germán on July 17, 2012 at 9:29 am said
> It is “mate” without accent and not “maté” with accent, as you wrote in
> the wikipedia link. I know because I drink mate every day of my life"
> (Germán is from Argentina)
>
>> »
>>
>> As for why they use MATE instead of MATÉ, this might be the reason:
>>
>> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071029042936AARnbuS
>>
>> Also see:
>> http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-capitalization3.htm
>
> How about this instead (from the wikipedia link you so kindly provided
> yet perhaps didn't bother to read):
>
> "Name
>
> Both the spellings "mate" and "maté" are used in English.[3][4][5] The
> acute accent on the final letter is likely added as a hyperforeignism,
> and serves to indicate that the word and its pronunciation are distinct
> from the common English word "mate". But, the Yerba Mate Association of
> the Americas states that it is always incorrect to accent the second
> syllable, since this creates confusion with an unrelated Spanish word
> for killing.[6] ("maté" literally means "I killed" in Spanish)."
>

>> The lead developer on the Maté desktop is Argentinian & thus a native
>> hispanophone.
>
> Perhaps he uses:
> <http://comex.lasmarias.com.ar/eng/detalle.php?a=yerba-mate-tea&t=3&d=1>

In Spanish, the spelling is not confusing; there, the English
pronunciation is the odd foreign word. Also, in South America, the
default association would be the tea.

This is not true in the English-speaking world, and as "mate" is an
ordinary English word, there is no obvious way to make it clear that
it's not "mate" as in "matey" /except/ to spell it out clearly as
"Maté".

AFAIK "MATE" doesn't stand for anything - it's not a backronym - and
he's explicitly said it's named after the tea, so I think Maté is the
least-confusing, most-helpful spelling.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Ryan Gauger

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Adam Funk

On 2012-07-24, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 22 July 2012 21:12, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:

>>> No. Ubuntu has never offered a choice of desktops in the main distro &
>>> I doubt it ever will.
>>
>> What do you mean by "in the main distro"? I have what I think of as
>> the main distro & packages are available to run GNOME 3, GNOME
>> Classic, XFCE, &c.
>>
>> I'm using GNOME Classic and I didn't find it difficult to add,
>> although it wasn't installed by default.
>
> Your last line answers the question in your first.
>
> When you install Ubuntu, it does not ask you what desktop you want. By
> comparison, other distribution, such as SUSE, Mandriva or Debian, do.
>
> Only 1 desktop comes on the Ubuntu CD. Others must be downloaded &
> installed. The same is true of all the remixes, too.

True, but a lot of useful stuff isn't on the CD (700 MB doesn't get
you as far these days), and you can install the alternative desktops
straight from the Ubuntu repositories (without adding things to
/etc/apt/sources.list.d, I mean).

Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
NoOp

On 07/24/2012 08:01 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> AFAIK "MATE" doesn't stand for anything - it's not a backronym - and
> he's explicitly said it's named after the tea, so I think Mat is the
> least-confusing, most-helpful spelling.

He?

I'll repeat:
====

<http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/>

He spells it "MATE" (notice it is all caps) And I reckon that Perberos
knows how to type an e-acute... "Y las instrucciones para construir
estn en el Wiki de mate-desktop.org (ingls)".

====

But I think we've spent enough time on this. Perhaps you can send
Perberos an email and ask him directly & blog about it somewhere else.

AFAIC this subject is like trying to help a list moderator with his
website...

Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:43:11 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> AFAIC this subject is like trying to help a list moderator with his
> website...

Heh, guilty. I suppose I'm to be moderated away once again for being
off-topic?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.