Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default I want to make thumbnails of my videos

I have a hobby website with some videos from my camera and phones, as
well as photos from both. I've figured out how to use ImageMagick's
convert(1) to script the creation of thumbnails en masse, and would
like to automate the task for videos too. I have mostly AVI and MP4
formats.

Any suggestions?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Rashkae

I have a hobby website with some videos from my camera and phones, as
well as photos from both. I've figured out how to use ImageMagick's
convert(1) to script the creation of thumbnails en masse, and would
like to automate the task for videos too. I have mostly AVI and MP4
formats.

Any suggestions?

Gnome 2 uses totem-video-thumbnailer, you can also try the
ffmpegthumbnailer package.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/7/20 Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com>:
> I have a hobby website with some videos from my camera and phones, as
> well as photos from both. I've figured out how to use ImageMagick's
> convert(1) to script the creation of thumbnails en masse, and would
> like to automate the task for videos too. I have mostly AVI and MP4
> formats.
>
> Any suggestions?

Here's one suggestion, at least:
ffmpeg -itsoffset -4 -i test.avi -vcodec mjpeg -vframes 1 -an -f
rawvideo -s 320x240 test.jpeg

This will create a 320×240 size jpeg image of the fourth second of the video.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/7/20 Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com>:
> On 07/20/2012 11:05 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> I have a hobby website with some videos from my camera and phones, as
>> well as photos from both. I've figured out how to use ImageMagick's
>> convert(1) to script the creation of thumbnails en masse, and would
>> like to automate the task for videos too. I have mostly AVI and MP4
>> formats.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Gnome 2 uses totem-video-thumbnailer, you can also try the
> ffmpegthumbnailer package.

I didn't know about the ffmpegthumbnailer, otherwise I would have suggested it.

Installation:
sudo apt-get install ffmpegthumbnailer

Its man page:
FFMPEGTHUMBNAILER(1)

FFMPEGTHUMBNAILER(1)

NAME
ffmpegthumbnailer - fast and lightweight video thumbnailer

SYNOPSIS
ffmpegthumbnailer [options]

DESCRIPTION
Ffmpegthumbnailer is a lightweight video thumbnailer that can
be used by file managers to create thumbnails for your video files.
The thumbnailer
uses ffmpeg to decode frames from the video files, so supported
videoformats depend on the configuration flags of ffmpeg.

OPTIONS
-i<s> : input file

-o<s> : output file

-s<n> : thumbnail size (use 0 for original size) (default: 128)

-q<n> : image quality (0 = bad, 10 = best) (default: 8) (only for jpeg)

-c<s> : override image format (jpeg or png) (default:
determined by filename)

-t<n|s>
: time to seek to (percentage or absolute time hh:mm:ss)
(default: 10%)

-a : ignore aspect ratio and generate square thumbnail

-f : create a movie strip overlay

-h : display this help

AUTHOR
Written by Dirk Vanden Boer.

REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegthumbnailer/issues/list>

COPYRIGHT
Copyright © 2008 Dirk Vanden Boer <dirk.vdb@gmail.com>
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License (version 2
or later)
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY,
to the extent permitted by law.

FFMPEGTHUMBNAILER(1)

Seems quite a bit easier to use than just ffmpeg in this aspect.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Thanks. ffmpegthumbnailer worked great for me.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD