Old 07-18-2012, 03:06 PM
"G. "

Default install on eee 1000h

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 14:02, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A friend with a somewhat older eee 1000h on it would like me to
>> install ubuntu for her (will probably go with lubuntu as it works well
>> off the usb and a regular install would probably be a bit much for
>> this machine).
>>
>> However there are already 4 partitions on this machine. One has only
>> 39 megabytes on it. Gparted lists it as a unknown type. Since she
>> needs to keep XP on here, how can I tell if deleting that partition
>> will do harm? Not found an answer by googling for it at least not so
>> far.
>
> Can you give us the whole list of partitions?
>
> It might be some sort of system recovery or diagnostics volume.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

sda1 ntfs 82 gigs used 21, unused 60, boot
sda2 ntfs 37 gigs, 3 gig used no flags
unallocated 24 gigs (I created this for Lubuntu)
sda3 (Labled P3), 4.89 gigs, 3 .28 used, flags- hidden, lba
sda4 ! file system unknown 47MiB no flags

sorry lubuntu does not seem to have a screen shot on live cd

gary

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Steve Flynn

On 18 July 2012 16:06, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> sda1 ntfs 82 gigs used 21, unused 60, boot
> sda2 ntfs 37 gigs, 3 gig used no flags
> unallocated 24 gigs (I created this for Lubuntu)
> sda3 (Labled P3), 4.89 gigs, 3 .28 used, flags- hidden, lba
> sda4 ! file system unknown 47MiB no flags

Given the size of it, it's almost certainly a diagnostics or recovery
volume, as Liam mentioned.

--
Steve

Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM
"G. "

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 16:06, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> sda1 ntfs 82 gigs used 21, unused 60, boot
>> sda2 ntfs 37 gigs, 3 gig used no flags
>> unallocated 24 gigs (I created this for Lubuntu)
>> sda3 (Labled P3), 4.89 gigs, 3 .28 used, flags- hidden, lba
>> sda4 ! file system unknown 47MiB no flags
>
> Given the size of it, it's almost certainly a diagnostics or recovery
> volume, as Liam mentioned.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
> people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

So is there a way to install on this sort of setup?

garyk

Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
"G. "

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18 July 2012 16:06, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> sda1 ntfs 82 gigs used 21, unused 60, boot
>>> sda2 ntfs 37 gigs, 3 gig used no flags
>>> unallocated 24 gigs (I created this for Lubuntu)
>>> sda3 (Labled P3), 4.89 gigs, 3 .28 used, flags- hidden, lba
>>> sda4 ! file system unknown 47MiB no flags
>>
>> Given the size of it, it's almost certainly a diagnostics or recovery
>> volume, as Liam mentioned.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
>> people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
>>
>> --
>
> So is there a way to install on this sort of setup?
>

> garyk

How about on sda2?

garyk

Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Doug

[...]

You might boot a live Linux system, and try and read what's on the
partitions.

You might find that there is nothing useful there.

--doug

Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Liam Proven

On 18 July 2012 16:40, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Given the size of it, it's almost certainly a diagnostics or recovery
>>> volume, as Liam mentioned.
>>
>> So is there a way to install on this sort of setup?
>
> How about on sda2?

Agreed.
[1] Move anything on Windows' D: or E: drive to C:
[2] remove sda2
[3] create an extended partition in that slot, and put /, home and
swap in there.

Or, if you like having 2 drives in Windows - e.g. I keep the pagefile
on a dedicated partition to reduce fragmentation - then do steps 1 &
2, then as well as the Linux partitions in the extended partition, put
a new smaller Windows D drive as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
"G. "

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 16:40, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So is there a way to install on this sort of setup?
>>
>> How about on sda2?
>
> Agreed.
> [1] Move anything on Windows' D: or E: drive to C:
> [2] remove sda2
> [3] create an extended partition in that slot, and put /, home and
> swap in there.
>
> Or, if you like having 2 drives in Windows - e.g. I keep the pagefile
> on a dedicated partition to reduce fragmentation - then do steps 1 &
> 2, then as well as the Linux partitions in the extended partition, put
> a new smaller Windows D drive as well.
>

> --

That sounds like a plan! Not much on SDA 2 anyway so can move to sda1 (c drive)

thanks

garyk

Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

(resent from the correct address)

Just as a brief point of information, I have an EeePC 900 running stock
Ubuntu 12.04 off of the internal flash drive. And I have a 16GB SDHC in
the SD slot with a data volume encrypted with Truecrypt. It all works
very nicely.

Gilles

--
Signature Home Chastity