-   -   KMail in 10.04-4 LTS has reached the end of its life (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/684698-kmail-10-04-4-lts-has-reached-end-its-life.html)

Gene Heskett 07-17-2012 11:38 PM

KMail in 10.04-4 LTS has reached the end of its life

It appears that it cannot work with an inbox beyond 2Gb, and has thrown
away about 20 mails today. It registers the message, and a bit of who its
from, but the message is displayed as 0 bytes, isn't shown anyplace but in
the inboxes contents list, and if after staring at a blank message window,
I try to + key on past it, kmail takes a dump and exits, the only way I can
continue is to delete it.

I can copy that file back to var/spool/mail and reprocess it as incoming
mail to recover it, but first, how can I convert the Inbox from a mailfile
to a maildir format? I have mv'd te file in place, and touched a new one,
but before it gets out of hand again, how to make a maildir out of inbox?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If a camel is a horse designed by a committee, then a consensus forecast is
camel's behind.
-- Edgar R. Fiedler

Gene Heskett 07-18-2012 05:10 AM

KMail in 10.04-4 LTS has reached the end of its life

On Wednesday 18 July 2012 00:55:06 Gene Heskett did opine:

> It appears that it cannot work with an inbox beyond 2Gb, and has thrown
> away about 20 mails today. It registers the message, and a bit of who
> its from, but the message is displayed as 0 bytes, isn't shown anyplace
> but in the inboxes contents list, and if after staring at a blank
> message window, I try to + key on past it, kmail takes a dump and
> exits, the only way I can continue is to delete it.
>
> I can copy that file back to var/spool/mail and reprocess it as incoming
> mail to recover it, but first, how can I convert the Inbox from a
> mailfile to a maildir format? I have mv'd te file in place, and
> touched a new one, but before it gets out of hand again, how to make a
> maildir out of inbox?
>
> Cheers, Gene

That I got figured out, and kmail has been re-importing the old mailfile.
But its working at about 1 message every 2 seconds because it is calling
spamassassin for every message it processes! I do that with procmail,
which should have no connection with this as I am not pulling mail ATM with
fetchmail, it has been shut down until kmail gets done with this
importation of the old mail.

_I_ do not have kmail purposely configured to interface with spamassassin
or spamd, so why is kmail apparently running it?

I won't get any replies to these msgs until I restart fetchmail, and at the
rate its working, that may not be before I go under the knife to remove
some skin cancers next Monday.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Never trust anybody whose arm is bigger than your leg.