Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Florin Andrei

Default network printing with Samba broken for months, no action taken, this is ridiculous

Take a look at this gem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/967410

Let me summarize it for you. Network printing with Windows clients has
been broken for months - since the 12.04 release basically. Everyone
using Ubuntu 12.04 as a server, on a network with Windows clients, where
printing is performed (fairly typical application of a Linux server) is
impacted.

During all this time, there was no visible attempt at fixing the bug.
Someone, please tell me this is a joke. No, wait, I just tried to print
this evening after reinstalling the server, it doesn't work, I know that
for a fact.

When I re-installed this server, I had the option of using either Ubuntu
or CentOS. I am kicking myself now for not choosing the non-broken
distribution.

So, what do I do now? Wait until the bug is fixed, hopefully some time
this year? Or painfully reinstall the whole thing using CentOS?

Is this sort of situation typical of Ubuntu QA?

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/