Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 PM
steve

Default atheros wireless "monitor mode"

Old 04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Dan Farrell

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:06:10 -0400
steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Have been messing around with kismet, and wireshark, and seem to get
> an error
> "> FATAL: Failed to set monitor mode: Invalid argument. This usually
> means your drivers either do not support monitor mode, or use a
> different mechanism for getting to it."
>
> laptop has an atheros AR5BMB5 card built in, anyone know if the
> restricted module provides monitor mode? or is there some way to
> enable it? any clue would be appreciated. thanks.

I'm not sure what this 'restricted module' is; it might be the
Atheros-provided parts of the madwifi-ng packages, which are behind the
scenes driving your Atheros card most likely.

If so, I have a lot of experience with them, and believe what you need
to do is to use wlanconfig to destroy your current wifi interface and
create a new one in managed mode. Managed and Station mode, do not
appear to inter-operate, in contrast to what people sometimes say
online. From http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/ChangingMode,
ifconfig ath0 down
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 mode

where mode = sta|adhoc|ap|monitor|wds|ahdemo

But you might be using the new Athreos drivers. I know nothing about
them. I recommend the website, http://madwifi.org, very highly. It is
more helpful than many project pages.
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/ is a particularly relevant section.
No doubt the page can help you track down which driver you're using.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:22 AM
steve

| Have been messing around with kismet, and wireshark, and seem to get
| an error
| "> FATAL: Failed to set monitor mode: Invalid argument. This usually
| means your drivers either do not support monitor mode, or use a
| different mechanism for getting to it."
|
| laptop has an atheros AR5BMB5 card built in, anyone know if the
| restricted module provides monitor mode? or is there some way to
| enable it? any clue would be appreciated. thanks.

I'm not sure what this 'restricted module' is; it might be the
Atheros-provided parts of the madwifi-ng packages, which are behind the
scenes driving your Atheros card most likely.

If so, I have a lot of experience with them, and believe what you need
to do is to use wlanconfig to destroy your current wifi interface and
create a new one in managed mode. Managed and Station mode, do not
appear to inter-operate, in contrast to what people sometimes say
online. From http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/ChangingMode,
~ ifconfig ath0 down
~ wlanconfig ath0 destroy
~ wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 mode

where mode = sta|adhoc|ap|monitor|wds|ahdemo

But you might be using the new Athreos drivers. I know nothing about
them. I recommend the website, http://madwifi.org, very highly. It is
more helpful than many project pages.
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/ is a particularly relevant section.
No doubt the page can help you track down which driver you're usin

I dont know if the threading is going to get messed up here, I deleted
last email by accident...

well, the restricted module is the atheros kernel module ubuntu provides
along with other modules people may need. I didnt install madwifi on my
own.

This is what Im getting when I try to follow the instructions on user
docs page to change modes..

steve@ubuntu-laptop:~$ sudo wlanconfig ath0
destroysteve@ubuntu-laptop:~$ sudo wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0
wlanmode [sta|adhoc|ap|monitor|wds|ahdemo]
wlanconfig: unknown operating mode [sta
bash: ap: command not found
bash: monitor: command not found
bash: wds: command not found
bash: adhoc: command not found
bash: ahdemo]: command not found
steve@ubuntu-laptop:~$

You think I should change to madwifi kernel module?