FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:02 PM
"Eddie O'Connor"
 
Default Touchpad Terror....

I am going crazy with a Sony Viao laptop that is having trouble with its touchpad, after installing Ubuntu 11.04 and upgrading to 12...the touchpad has been sporadically "stopping". In that I cannot right-click, left-click, or just CLICK period! Is there some kind fo "patch" for this? I haven't realy had time to search for a "cure" for this, as I have just started a new job and am short on time. If ANYONE...ANYWHERE can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

*
*
Sony Vaio
3GB Memory
Ubuntu 12
320GB Hard Drive
Integrated Graphics
Integrated Sound
*
*
*
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"
 
Default Touchpad Terror....

On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 19:02 -0400, Eddie O'Connor wrote:
> I am going crazy with a Sony Viao laptop that is having trouble with
> its touchpad, after installing Ubuntu 11.04 and upgrading to 12...the
> touchpad has been sporadically "stopping". In that I cannot
> right-click, left-click, or just CLICK period! Is there some kind fo
> "patch" for this? I haven't realy had time to search for a "cure" for
> this, as I have just started a new job and am short on time. If
> ANYONE...ANYWHERE can point me in the right direction I would greatly
> appreciate it!
>
>

Have you installed gpointing-device-settings (in the repositories for
Precise at least)? This lets you control lots of things for the most
common types of touchpad. I mostly use it to turn the darn thing
completely off and use a $17 wireless usb mini-mouse instead, but if
you're a glutton for punishment or like to tap to click it should help.
I found it with synaptic but the software center should know about it.


--
pongo pan
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:36:22 -0700
Diogenes up 57 min, 0 users, load average: 0.66, 0.84, 0.91
Linux 3.2.0-26-generic
Bodhi 2.0.0, Enlightenment E17



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Tommy Trussell
 
Default Touchpad Terror....

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:

On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 19:02 -0400, Eddie O'Connor wrote:

> I am going crazy with a Sony Viao laptop that is having trouble with

> its touchpad, after installing Ubuntu 11.04 and upgrading to 12...the

> touchpad has been sporadically "stopping". In that I cannot

> right-click, left-click, or just CLICK period! Is there some kind fo

> "patch" for this? I haven't realy had time to search for a "cure" for

> this, as I have just started a new job and am short on time. If

> ANYONE...ANYWHERE can point me in the right direction I would greatly

> appreciate it!

>

>



Have you installed gpointing-device-settings (in the repositories for

Precise at least)? *This lets you control lots of things for the most

common types of touchpad. *I mostly use it to turn the darn thing

completely off and use a $17 wireless usb mini-mouse instead, but if

you're a glutton for punishment or like to tap to click it should help.

I found it with synaptic but the software center should know about it.



A reliable WIRED mouse would be a good thing to use until you get this resolved! (You can use a wireless one but if it develops problems then you have to go through more steps to narrow it down... is its battery weak, does it use Bluetooth or a little "dongle" in the USB port, and is that connected right, etc. etc.)

HOWEVER I believe I noticed there was a software update recently that fixed a reliability issue with one of the touchpad drivers.*SO the first thing to try (after you connect a wired mouse so you won't go insane) is to make sure you have all the recent Ubuntu software updates installed.*

If that doesn't help, you might next determine which touchpad driver your laptop uses, and search for bug reports. There may be a fix or workaround.*

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM
"Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I"
 
Default Touchpad Terror....

I have gone with the recommendation and found "Dconf-Tools" and I have
used the Editor included in the GUI to enable / disable the touchpad
after rebooting I haven't had this problem anymore! THANK YOU
ALL!...Immediately after doing this and JUST before rebooting my machine
I made sure to check for the latest updates, after installing the 7 that
were pending, I rebooted and my machine has been working flawlessly ever
since, I am now able to use the touchpad without a glitch or any other
issues. My only wonder now is if this is a "known" issue with Ubuntu. or
just in general with laptops, wouldn't it be in the best interests of
all involved to have a patch, a fix, or just some update that would
resolve this? I had suffered with this issue for quite some time, and
Googling your isse almost always leads you to various blog sites where
people seem to have tried something that works for them, but when YOU
attempt it, it doesn't break the surface.....just curious is all. But I
am once again most grateful for all those whom contributed their advice,
suggestions, and wisdom on this matter!



EGO II

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Tommy Trussell
 
Default Touchpad Terror....

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I <eoconnor25@gmail.com> wrote:

I have gone with the recommendation and found "Dconf-Tools" and I have used the Editor included in the GUI to enable / disable the touchpad after rebooting I haven't had this problem anymore! THANK YOU ALL!...Immediately after doing this and JUST before rebooting my machine I made sure to check for the latest updates, after installing the 7 that were pending, I rebooted and my machine has been working flawlessly ever since, I am now able to use the touchpad without a glitch or any other issues. My only wonder now is if this is a "known" issue with Ubuntu. or just in general with laptops, wouldn't it be in the best interests of all involved to have a patch, a fix, or just some update that would resolve this?

Unfortunately laptops are difficult, partly because they are all different. It's possible there is a permanent fix that someone is working on, and the BEST way to help everyone is to file a bug (or supply helpful diagnostic information to an existing bug) in Launchpad. http://launchpad.net/*Here is an example of a longstanding touchpad bug that FOR SOME people was fixed by an update in May:*https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/41301


Here is a wiki page showing how to track down a touchpad bug (and be sure read all the way through, it may already have your bug listed in it!):*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection

It takes a bit of effort to learn your exact setup but it sounds like you could help others with your experience. Thank you for sharing your experience with the world!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org