Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

Default Is it worth waiting for a Dell/ASUS/Other-top/ desktop for unimpaired Ubuntu?

On Jul 14, 2012 12:31 PM, "Donald F. Parsons" <dfp10@verizon.net> wrote:

> I mean without slowing due to installing inside Windows 7, without limitation by the hardware as with Nettop versions, and without too high a cost due to unecessaryly large memory, etc, etc.

> Is there any definite news?

> Thanks

> Don Parsons

Don,

* Your question would be easier to answer if you defined for us what some of those things _are_ in terms of "too high". Specifically, if you had target specs you were aiming for, it would be a lot easier to answer. I know that Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit runs really well on my Dell Lattitude D630, with 4 gigs of ram and an SSD hard drive. Note that I am not a Unity user, so I cannot say how that would perform on the same machine. It also performs well (including Unity for the week I tested it) on my Dell Lattitude E6420 with 8 gigs of ram and a SAS 750Gb HD.

Hope that helps,

W. Scott Lockwood III

Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Pastor JW

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 01:30:57 PM Donald F. Parsons wrote:
> I mean without slowing due to installing inside Windows 7, without
> limitation by the hardware as with Nettop versions, and without too high
> a cost due to unecessaryly large memory, etc, etc.
> Is there any definite news?

I don't think Dell builds them anymore as I was looking to replace a n1525 so
I went to http://zareason.com for replacements. The four we bought have
worked flawlessly now for two years one of which is a test machine that was
installed with each new version of Ubuntu as it came around. We use only KDE
on our Ubuntu installs but everything just works! No one is allowed to use
windoze on our network and we fired one guy who tried to do so, however we
allow all flavors of Ubuntu. No one however either likes or runs Unity.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Avi Greenbury

Donald F. Parsons wrote:

> I mean without slowing due to installing inside Windows 7, without
> limitation by the hardware as with Nettop versions, and without too
> high a cost due to unecessaryly large memory, etc, etc.
> Is there any definite news?

In the past four or five years I've come across one laptop that had
difficulty with Ubuntu (An Acer whose touchpad didn't work).

You can, right now, go out and buy a laptop on which you can install
any modern distro and have everything Just Work. This has been true for
about five years or so, longer with slightly more care as to which one
you buy.

What is it that you're missing from what's currently available, and
what are you expecting one of these manufacturers to do to fix it?

--
Avi

Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Donald F. Parsons wrote:
>
> > I mean without slowing due to installing inside Windows 7, without
> > limitation by the hardware as with Nettop versions, and without too
> > high a cost due to unecessaryly large memory, etc, etc.
> > Is there any definite news?
>
> In the past four or five years I've come across one laptop that had
> difficulty with Ubuntu (An Acer whose touchpad didn't work).
>
> You can, right now, go out and buy a laptop on which you can install
> any modern distro and have everything Just Work. This has been true for
> about five years or so, longer with slightly more care as to which one
> you buy.
>
> What is it that you're missing from what's currently available, and
> what are you expecting one of these manufacturers to do to fix it?

i'm running 64-bit 12.04 on a kick-ass asus G74S -- full HD display,
1.5TB total disk space, 16G RAM ... i don't have a problem. of
course, this thing isn't cheap but it worked out of the box.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

I mean without slowing due to installing inside Windows 7, without
limitation by the hardware as with Nettop versions, and without too high
a cost due to unecessaryly large memory, etc, etc.
Is there any definite news?

Thanks
Don Parsons

I've heard rumblings recently about Dell coming out with new machines
with Ubuntu preloaded.

In the meantime, what about System 76 laptops? From around $700 to $900:
https://www.system76.com/laptops/

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 16:03 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> I've heard rumblings recently about Dell coming out with new machines
> with Ubuntu preloaded.
> In the meantime, what about System 76 laptops? From around $700 to $900:
> https://www.system76.com/laptops/

Except they don't have any branches in the UK.

But, here's a range of machines
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&q=zoostorm&sort=relevancy&limit=10
including a couple of laptops that ARE sold in the UK with no operating
system! Might be of interest to somebody on the list?

Dave