Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Colin Law

Default Mate menus

On 15 July 2012 22:18, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 07/15/2012 03:33 PM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Thanks for the link but I'm not looking to remove functional equivalents.
>>> am talking about duplicate menu entries. I think maybe I confused the
>>> issue
>>> when I spoke of "Unity ones and Mate ones" in my original message. I
>>> don't
>>> have my laptop booted up now but there are at least a dozen cases of menu
>>> entries with the same name.
>>

>> I don't know Mate, but is there not a way of removing (and adding)
>> items from the menus? Also you might be better in a mate forum/list
>> (google for mate forum).
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Yes you can add and remove from Mate menus but with all these duplicates I
> want to know which ones I should remove. I assume that some of them are
> added by Mate and some must be picked up from Unity somehow. For example as
> I mentioned in my original post there are two entries for Baobab each
> pointing to a different version.

So it is not the menu entries that worry you (as per the subject of
this thread) but the fact that you have multiple versions of some apps
installed. Can't help there I am afraid. That sounds like definitely
a Mate issue rather than a Ubuntu one.

Colin

Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 July 2012 13:08, R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
> After experimenting with Mint, I decided to have Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate.
>
> Installation has gone OK, but I notice that quite a few menu items are
> present in duplicate and in one or two cases (e.g. LibreOffice writer) there
> is no icon. The duplicate items start the same program, but there are some
> differences that make me think different themes are being used.
>
> Anyone seen this? Is this a bug that should be reported? If so, does Ubuntu
> have any interest in Mate, or should it go to the Mate developers?

Reading to the end of the thread, why are you starting with a distro
that has an integrated desktop that you don't want? That's always
going to give you multiple redundant apps. This is why we try to tell
Ric Moore not to install Ubuntu & then add Xfce, but just use Xubuntu.
:¬)

If you want a pure Maté environment, then either run a Maté remix, e.g.:
http://www.notalinux.com/

Or install Ubuntu Server then add the Maté PPA & install it by hand,
giving you a pure Maté system with no trace of Unity.

This would seem much easier to me, & result in a leaner, cleaner OS
without duplicated apps.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:31:14 +0100
Liam Proven wrote:

> On 14 July 2012 13:08, R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > After experimenting with Mint, I decided to have Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate.
> >
> > Installation has gone OK, but I notice that quite a few menu items are
> > present in duplicate and in one or two cases (e.g. LibreOffice writer)
> > there is no icon. The duplicate items start the same program, but there
> > are some differences that make me think different themes are being used.
> >
> > Anyone seen this? Is this a bug that should be reported? If so, does
> > Ubuntu have any interest in Mate, or should it go to the Mate
> > developers?
>
> Reading to the end of the thread, why are you starting with a distro
> that has an integrated desktop that you don't want? That's always
> going to give you multiple redundant apps. This is why we try to tell
> Ric Moore not to install Ubuntu & then add Xfce, but just use Xubuntu.
> :)
>
> If you want a pure Mat environment, then either run a Mat remix, e.g.:
> http://www.notalinux.com/
>
> Or install Ubuntu Server then add the Mat PPA & install it by hand,
> giving you a pure Mat system with no trace of Unity.
>
> This would seem much easier to me, & result in a leaner, cleaner OS
> without duplicated apps.

You are probably right, the server + mate would have been better, but I was
in a hurry. It seems OK now. I've deleted the duplicates from the menu.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 16:31 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 14 July 2012 13:08, R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > After experimenting with Mint, I decided to have Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate.
> >

> Reading to the end of the thread, why are you starting with a distro
> that has an integrated desktop that you don't want? That's always
> going to give you multiple redundant apps. This is why we try to tell
> Ric Moore not to install Ubuntu & then add Xfce, but just use Xubuntu.
> :)
>
> If you want a pure Mat environment, then either run a Mat remix, e.g.:
> http://www.notalinux.com/
>
> Or install Ubuntu Server then add the Mat PPA & install it by hand,
> giving you a pure Mat system with no trace of Unity.
>
> This would seem much easier to me, & result in a leaner, cleaner OS
> without duplicated apps.

Or just use Linux Mint Mate, which was engineered with mate from the
ground up. R. Kimber doesn't say what his objection to Mint was after
he "experimented" with it. Mint is very close to Ubuntu: if you don't
like one, you'll probably not like the other. L-M Mate looks to me an
awful lot like L-M 8 or 9, i.e. Ubuntu of the same vintage with green
and silver decorations. If Gnome 2 is what you want...

--
pongo pan
Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:19:54 -0700

Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:20:36 -0700
Pongo A. Pan wrote:

> Or just use Linux Mint Mate, which was engineered with mate from the
> ground up. R. Kimber doesn't say what his objection to Mint was after
> he "experimented" with it. Mint is very close to Ubuntu: if you don't
> like one, you'll probably not like the other. L-M Mate looks to me an
> awful lot like L-M 8 or 9, i.e. Ubuntu of the same vintage with green
> and silver decorations. If Gnome 2 is what you want...

The main objection was that Mint recommended a full install with each 6
monthly upgrade. But I also had some other issues (e.g. with drivers) that
I don't have with Ubuntu.

- Richard.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 16.07.2012, 09:20 -0700 schrieb Pongo A. Pan:

> Or just use Linux Mint Mate, which was engineered with mate from the
> ground up. R. Kimber doesn't say what his objection to Mint was after
> he "experimented" with it. Mint is very close to Ubuntu: if you don't
> like one, you'll probably not like the other.

sadly mint's update mechanism suppress a lot of important security
upgrades (kernel, xorg, bootloader, libc etc), while they might look
similar on the surface i wouldnt use mint in production unless you
really dont care about security at all...

ciao
oli

Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Liam Proven

On 16 July 2012 17:38, R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:20:36 -0700
> Pongo A. Pan wrote:
>
>> Or just use Linux Mint Mate, which was engineered with mate from the
>> ground up. R. Kimber doesn't say what his objection to Mint was after
>> he "experimented" with it. Mint is very close to Ubuntu: if you don't
>> like one, you'll probably not like the other. L-M Mate looks to me an
>> awful lot like L-M 8 or 9, i.e. Ubuntu of the same vintage with green
>> and silver decorations. If Gnome 2 is what you want...
>
> The main objection was that Mint recommended a full install with each 6
> monthly upgrade. But I also had some other issues (e.g. with drivers) that
> I don't have with Ubuntu.

That is a good point. You /can/ upgrade but it is a pain & not supported.

Re drivers, I have seen issues but they can be overcome, IME, by lying
to the installer and telling it that it's on Ubuntu. This works with,
e.g., HP-LIP, but I have had success with Epson, Canon, webcams &
more.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Liam Proven

On 16 July 2012 17:44, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 16.07.2012, 09:20 -0700 schrieb Pongo A. Pan:
>
>> Or just use Linux Mint Mate, which was engineered with mate from the
>> ground up. R. Kimber doesn't say what his objection to Mint was after
>> he "experimented" with it. Mint is very close to Ubuntu: if you don't
>> like one, you'll probably not like the other.
>
> sadly mint's update mechanism suppress a lot of important security
> upgrades (kernel, xorg, bootloader, libc etc), while they might look
> similar on the surface i wouldnt use mint in production unless you
> really dont care about security at all...

This is true but if you use the

apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade -y

method, as I generally do, then it gets them all.

I believe you can configure the graphical updater to show all updates, too.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Ric Moore

Reading to the end of the thread, why are you starting with a distro
that has an integrated desktop that you don't want? That's always
going to give you multiple redundant apps. This is why we try to tell
Ric Moore not to install Ubuntu & then add Xfce, but just use Xubuntu.
:)

Ah ...but I LIKE it that way. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Basil Chupin

Reading to the end of the thread, why are you starting with a distro
that has an integrated desktop that you don't want? That's always
going to give you multiple redundant apps. This is why we try to tell
Ric Moore not to install Ubuntu & then add Xfce, but just use Xubuntu.
:�)

Ah ...but I LIKE it that way. Ric

Masochist!

(But then you probably also go for handcuffs, rubber suits and all,
right? :-D )

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor