Old 07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Not able to use the scan utility of the Epson SX218: permission problem?

Hello Everybody,
Today, I have been following the instructions of - amongst others- this page at Ubuntu Forums:
http://tinyurl.com/epsonsx218

I have installed the both the printer driver and the "iscan" utility of the Epson SX 218 all in one.

Printing works fine. However, scanning is still a problem, though I installed both the "data package" and "core package" of "Iscan".
However, when using SANE, XSANE or GIMP, I still get stuck at the same
point: "no devices available". One time I got an error messages starting
with the words "access denied to the source file....". That's why, I am
wondering whether I need to change the permissions somewhere. How can I
find the file(s) whose permissions I need to change?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.

--
====================

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 40

Open source OS: Kubuntu 12.04

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.euViaconsensus.nlRainbowGathering.eu

Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 15:31, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
> Today, I have been following the instructions of - amongst others- this page
> at Ubuntu Forums:
> http://tinyurl.com/epsonsx218
>
> I have installed the both the printer driver and the "iscan" utility of the
> Epson SX 218 all in one.
> Printing works fine. However, scanning is still a problem, though I
> installed both the "data package" and "core package" of "Iscan".
> However, when using SANE, XSANE or GIMP, I still get stuck at the same
> point: "no devices available". One time I got an error messages starting
> with the words "access denied to the source file....". That's why, I am
> wondering whether I need to change the permissions somewhere. How can I find
> the file(s) whose permissions I need to change?

Does it work if you run iscan?

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Bas Roufs