Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Gene Heskett

Default copy/paste failures when logged into another machine via ssh -Y

Greetings all;

One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine was
to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by gedit on the
remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and MMB the text into
another local file.

I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on this box
too.

Is this a gedit failing, or something else? If a gedit failure, is it
fixable somehow?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
We don't care how they do it in New York.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 14:30, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine was
> to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by gedit on the
> remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and MMB the text into
> another local file.
>
> I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on this box
> too.
>
> Is this a gedit failing, or something else? If a gedit failure, is it
> fixable somehow?

It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.

You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 13 July 2012 11:39:05 Colin Law did opine:

> On 13 July 2012 14:30, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine
> > was to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by
> > gedit on the remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and
> > MMB the text into another local file.
> >
> > I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on
> > this box too.
> >
> > Is this a gedit failing, or something else? If a gedit failure, is it
> > fixable somehow?
>
> It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.
>
> You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
> Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?
>
> Colin

Perhaps, but I don't think the workspaces are a controlling factor as I
routinely do such from workspace to workspace on this machine. It seems to
be more of a failure of the network when the remote session of gedit is on
another machine. I can use the mouse to hilite the text ok, but a control-
v or an MMB event simply has no effect. Like it has been filtered and sent
to /dev/null.

On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper", mc is
supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that pulls down a
windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what you expected, so you
grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at the bottom right of the mc
screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$ nanny and asks "are you sure?" If
that nanny worked for me, she would have been so fired years ago.

Of course I'm sure, or I wouldn't have hit the F10 key in the first place!
Sheesh. That is more annoying than I can adequately describe in my native
language even if I do have a 2 minute monologue for such occasions that is
most assuredly rated NSFW.

Now, since I can't switch workplaces by just rolling the mouse wheel on a
blank spot of the screen, is there a single keypress that will take me from
workspace N to another workspace N without having to find that microscopic
sized pager (its in two rows in the bottom bar at the far right bottom
corner of the screen, and less than a cm tall on a 22" Samsung digital tv
being used for a monitor, and mouse wiggle room is very restricted) and
click on the desired 1/8" square workspace button? Knowing that would save
me 2 to 5 seconds every time I need to change workspaces on any of these
machines.

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
In 1750 Issac Newton became discouraged when he fell up a flight of stairs.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 17:14, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday 13 July 2012 11:39:05 Colin Law did opine:
>
>> On 13 July 2012 14:30, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings all;
>> >
>> > One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine
>> > was to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by
>> > gedit on the remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and
>> > MMB the text into another local file.
>> >
>> > I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on
>> > this box too.
>> >
>> > Is this a gedit failing, or something else? If a gedit failure, is it
>> > fixable somehow?
>>
>> It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.
>>
>> You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
>> Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> Perhaps, but I don't think the workspaces are a controlling factor as I
> routinely do such from workspace to workspace on this machine. It seems to
> be more of a failure of the network when the remote session of gedit is on
> another machine. I can use the mouse to hilite the text ok, but a control-
> v or an MMB event simply has no effect. Like it has been filtered and sent
> to /dev/null.

OK, I wondered why you mentioned switching workspaces unless it was
significant to the problem.

> On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper", mc is
> supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that pulls down a
> windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what you expected, so you
> grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at the bottom right of the mc
> screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$ nanny and asks "are you sure?" If
> that nanny worked for me, she would have been so fired years ago.

I don't know anything about mc (presumably you mean midnight commander). Sorry.

> Of course I'm sure, or I wouldn't have hit the F10 key in the first place!
> Sheesh. That is more annoying than I can adequately describe in my native
> language even if I do have a 2 minute monologue for such occasions that is
> most assuredly rated NSFW.
>
> Now, since I can't switch workplaces by just rolling the mouse wheel on a
> blank spot of the screen, is there a single keypress that will take me from
> workspace N to another workspace N without having to find that microscopic
> sized pager (its in two rows in the bottom bar at the far right bottom
> corner of the screen, and less than a cm tall on a 22" Samsung digital tv
> being used for a monitor, and mouse wiggle room is very restricted) and
> click on the desired 1/8" square workspace button? Knowing that would save
> me 2 to 5 seconds every time I need to change workspaces on any of these
> machines.

I don't know which pager you mean, are you using Unity?
You can cycle through the workspaces with Ctrl-Alt right or left
arrow. Or I believe you can setup shortcuts to switch to particular
workspaces. Go to System Settings > keyboard > Shortcuts and scroll
down to Switch to workspace 1 etc and put in the keys you want to use.
I have not used this myself however.

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 13 July 2012 13:13:58 Colin Law did opine:

> On 13 July 2012 17:14, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> >> It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.
> >>
> >> You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
> >> Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > Perhaps, but I don't think the workspaces are a controlling factor as
> > I routinely do such from workspace to workspace on this machine. It
> > seems to be more of a failure of the network when the remote session
> > of gedit is on another machine. I can use the mouse to hilite the
> > text ok, but a control- v or an MMB event simply has no effect. Like
> > it has been filtered and sent to /dev/null.
>
> OK, I wondered why you mentioned switching workspaces unless it was
> significant to the problem.
>
> > On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper",
> > mc is supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that
> > pulls down a windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what
> > you expected, so you grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at
> > the bottom right of the mc screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$
> > nanny and asks "are you sure?" If that nanny worked for me, she
> > would have been so fired years ago.
>
> I don't know anything about mc (presumably you mean midnight commander).
> Sorry.

Yes, the one, the original swiss army knife of 2 pane file managers.

> > Of course I'm sure, or I wouldn't have hit the F10 key in the first
> > place! Sheesh. That is more annoying than I can adequately describe
> > in my native language even if I do have a 2 minute monologue for such
> > occasions that is most assuredly rated NSFW.
> >
> > Now, since I can't switch workplaces by just rolling the mouse wheel
> > on a blank spot of the screen, is there a single keypress that will
> > take me from workspace N to another workspace N without having to
> > find that microscopic sized pager (its in two rows in the bottom bar
> > at the far right bottom corner of the screen, and less than a cm tall
> > on a 22" Samsung digital tv being used for a monitor, and mouse
> > wiggle room is very restricted) and click on the desired 1/8" square
> > workspace button? Knowing that would save me 2 to 5 seconds every
> > time I need to change workspaces on any of these machines.
>
> I don't know which pager you mean, are you using Unity?
> You can cycle through the workspaces with Ctrl-Alt right or left
> arrow. Or I believe you can setup shortcuts to switch to particular
> workspaces. Go to System Settings > keyboard > Shortcuts and scroll
> down to Switch to workspace 1 etc and put in the keys you want to use.
> I have not used this myself however.
>
> Colin

No clue what one calls the gdm + some kde video interface, but by golly
that works, at least on this machine, thank you very much! And maybe I can
find that F10 grabber and blow that puppy clear into the next drainage too.
But a plain old F10 is not listed in that menu. Sigh.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
* liw prefers not to have Linus run Debian, because then /me would
have to run Red Hat, just to keep the power balance
-- #Debian

Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
"Hermann J. Beckers"

Am Friday, 13. July 2012 schrieb Gene Heskett:

Hi Gene,

no solution for your copy/paste problem, but

> On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper", mc is
> supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that pulls down a
> windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what you expected, so you
> grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at the bottom right of the mc
> screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$ nanny and asks "are you sure?" If
> that nanny worked for me, she would have been so fired years ago.

1. solution:

Don't use Terminal, use lxterminal or xterm.

2. solution:

Regain the F10 key for mc: Start Terminal, select the third drop down menu/tab
from left (should be edit, on my german version its "bearbeiten" ), select
"settings" or "preferences", select the fourth tab from left ("shortcuts" ?)
and activate the last selection on that tab, should be "deactive Menu
shortcut (default is F10)".

3. solution:

For all F-keys in MC you can use ESC and the corresponding number in MC, e. g.
ESC 0 for F10.

HTH
hjb

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 13-07-12 15:30, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all;

One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine was
to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by gedit on the
remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and MMB the text into
another local file.

I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on this box
too.

Is this a gedit failing, or something else? If a gedit failure, is it
fixable somehow?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene

Gene,
An easy way is CTRL-Fn where n is the number of your workplace (works in
xfce).

Joep

Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 13 July 2012 22:10:24 Hermann J. Beckers did opine:

> Am Friday, 13. July 2012 schrieb Gene Heskett:
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> no solution for your copy/paste problem, but

> > On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper",
> > mc is supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that
> > pulls down a windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what
> > you expected, so you grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at
> > the bottom right of the mc screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$
> > nanny and asks "are you sure?" If that nanny worked for me, she
> > would have been so fired years ago.

> 1. solution:
>
> Don't use Terminal, use lxterminal or xterm.

I think I'm using Konsole. Humm, system >preferences > preferred apps says
its Gnome Terminal. Looks just like the kde konsole. Killed the F10 grab,
now all I get is the gnome nanny. So it still takes the mouse to quit mc.

> 2. solution:
>
> Regain the F10 key for mc: Start Terminal, select the third drop down
> menu/tab from left (should be edit, on my german version its
> "bearbeiten" ), select "settings" or "preferences", select the fourth
> tab from left ("shortcuts" ?) and activate the last selection on that
> tab, should be "deactive Menu shortcut (default is F10)".

Aha! Consider that done. But how do I save that forever as I'm not root.
Humm, looks as if it is saved if I use a tab that has me sudo -i.

> 3. solution:
>
> For all F-keys in MC you can use ESC and the corresponding number in MC,
> e. g. ESC 0 for F10.

I'll have to check that out, but its a twop key combo that way and not 100%
ideal.

Thank You. This is a pretty good stride in the right direction.

> HTH
> hjb

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.