Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Gene Heskett

Default recurring perms problems

Greetings;

About 1 or 2x a week, I discover something that isn't working due to perms.

Specifically my stuff is suddenly owned by root. I ran clamtk this morning
and scanned my home dir recursively. From a cli.

When I had exited clamtk, I noticed that it had complained in the cli that
it had no permissions to look at my crontab file in
/var/spool/cron/crontabs.

Gaining root, no surprise, but /var/spool/cron/crontabs/gene, which is
still working because my sig is still being updated every 5 minutes, but as
me, I get a no perms when I enter "crontab -e" because its owned by
root:root!

I didn't do that. And this sort of thing is gradually getting old. I did
not have such problems with the previous distros.

I know that logrotate can muck things up logwise and I can't recall an
install where I didn't have to modify logrotate, but that gets old too, so
the logs I want to keep are gradually being moved to ~/log where I can do
the housekeeping needed.

But I don't see how this can be blamed on logrotate.

Has anyone a clue to spare as to the cause of such shenanigans?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I read Playboy for the same reason I read National Geographic. To see
the sights I'm never going to visit.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Avi Greenbury

Gene Heskett wrote:

> About 1 or 2x a week, I discover something that isn't working due to
> perms.

This is normally caused by processes running as root when they
shouldn't be. If this repeatedly happens to the same files you might
find the easiest way to determine what's doing it is with a utility
like inotifywatch.

As far as digging around afterwards, the mtime of the file is not
updated by permissions changes, but the ctime is; the ctime is updated
when permissions or data are updated, mtime only when data is. That may
help you pin down when permissions changed, and perhaps help find a
rogue cron job or similar.

--
Avi

Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 13 July 2012 22:26:48 Avi Greenbury did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > About 1 or 2x a week, I discover something that isn't working due to
> > perms.
>
> This is normally caused by processes running as root when they
> shouldn't be. If this repeatedly happens to the same files you might
> find the easiest way to determine what's doing it is with a utility
> like inotifywatch.
>
> As far as digging around afterwards, the mtime of the file is not
> updated by permissions changes, but the ctime is; the ctime is updated
> when permissions or data are updated, mtime only when data is. That may
> help you pin down when permissions changed, and perhaps help find a
> rogue cron job or similar.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind when and/or if it next happens.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's been a business doing pleasure with you.