Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Steve Flynn

Default Ubuntu 12.04 Problems with update manager in WLAN without connection

On 12 July 2012 11:26, Bernhard Garmann <problembear@web.de> wrote:

Plain text on this list please.

> I use 12.04 for some time now frequently from a location with a public WLAN that requires a login process before allowing full access. After connection establishment the WLAN allows DNS (and maybe some other protocols. Full INTERNET access only after the login.
>
> The update manager regularly gets in trouble - leading to a corruption of the package listings and the recommendation to use apt-get command.
>
> While this (somehow) works for me, it is a big nuisance. The update function of the package manager maintaining it's database shall be more robust to avoid it falling on it's head in the first place. Network connections can be unreliable and the software should be able to deal with it.

There is already a discussion taking place on how Network Manager
determines if it has full internet access or not on the developer
mailing list. Undoubtedly there is a bug in Launchpad for this issue.
You could flag it as affecting you to give it a little more traction.

Alternatively, chime in on the Ubuntu-developer list... or even do both.

--
Steve