Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Andrew

Default Changing from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS - importing all email settings and mail from 10.04/Evolution 2.28.3

Running 10.04 LTS at present but now thinking of installing 12.04 LTS.
However, the email client in 12.04 (Thunderbird) looks a bit different
from the current one (Evolution 2.28.3) - so will I be able to import
all my email settings etc from the evolution-backup.tar.gz file produced
by Evolution 2.28.3?

Andy

Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Nils Kassube

Andrew wrote:
> Running 10.04 LTS at present but now thinking of installing 12.04
> LTS. However, the email client in 12.04 (Thunderbird) looks a bit
> different from the current one (Evolution 2.28.3) - so will I be
> able to import all my email settings etc from the
> evolution-backup.tar.gz file produced by Evolution 2.28.3?

I know this is not the real answer to your question but you are not
forced to move to the new default TB. You might as well keep evolution
as your email client as it is still available on 12.04.

Nils

Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 July 2012 11:13, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> Running 10.04 LTS at present but now thinking of installing 12.04 LTS.
> However, the email client in 12.04 (Thunderbird) looks a bit different
> from the current one (Evolution 2.28.3)

It is, it's a different app.

However you can still install Evolution should you prefer it. Nobody
is forcing you to move.

> - so will I be able to import
> all my email settings etc from the evolution-backup.tar.gz file produced
> by Evolution 2.28.3?

No.

If you reinstall, just install Evolution when you're done.

If you upgrade, Evolution will still be your default email app afterwards.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 13:45 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 12 July 2012 11:13, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> > Running 10.04 LTS at present but now thinking of installing 12.04 LTS.
> > However, the email client in 12.04 (Thunderbird) looks a bit different
> > from the current one (Evolution 2.28.3)
>
> It is, it's a different app.
>
> However you can still install Evolution should you prefer it. Nobody
> is forcing you to move.
>
> > - so will I be able to import
> > all my email settings etc from the evolution-backup.tar.gz file produced
> > by Evolution 2.28.3?
>
> No.
>
> If you reinstall, just install Evolution when you're done.
>
> If you upgrade, Evolution will still be your default email app afterwards.

It would probably be a good idea to use evolution's built-in backup
method (File -> Backup) on the old evolution and do a restore on the
new. Lucid, for some reason came with an already obsolete version of
evolution; Precise uses a much newer one which uses a quite different
method of storing its data. Evo's a pretty smart app and ordinarily it
just handles the transition between different versions of itself nicely,
but this is one case where it does not always work properly.

--
pongo pan
Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:02:10 -0700

Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
David Fletcher

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 06:03 -0700, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 13:45 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> > On 12 July 2012 11:13, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> > > Running 10.04 LTS at present but now thinking of installing 12.04 LTS.
> > > However, the email client in 12.04 (Thunderbird) looks a bit different
> > > from the current one (Evolution 2.28.3)
> >
> > It is, it's a different app.
> >
> > However you can still install Evolution should you prefer it. Nobody
> > is forcing you to move.
> >
> > > - so will I be able to import
> > > all my email settings etc from the evolution-backup.tar.gz file produced
> > > by Evolution 2.28.3?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > If you reinstall, just install Evolution when you're done.
> >
> > If you upgrade, Evolution will still be your default email app afterwards.
>
> It would probably be a good idea to use evolution's built-in backup
> method (File -> Backup) on the old evolution and do a restore on the
> new. Lucid, for some reason came with an already obsolete version of
> evolution; Precise uses a much newer one which uses a quite different
> method of storing its data. Evo's a pretty smart app and ordinarily it
> just handles the transition between different versions of itself nicely,
> but this is one case where it does not always work properly.

I'd say definitely install to a new hard drive - DON'T overwrite the
current installation until you're sure everything is working again.

I did this, then tried just copying ~/.evolution into my new home
directory and it didn't work - no address book or anything. I put back
the old hard drive, did the evolution backup, then restored this file in
the new install and it works again.

So, I don't know if it's just ~/.evolution you're supposed to need, or
something else. All I can say is just be very careful.

Dave