Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
MR ZenWiz

Default X server problems with xscreensaver

I am running Xubuntu 12.04 with xscreensaver version 5.15 (as it comes
from Synaptic), and I noticed that while the screensaver is running
and the screen is locked, when I type something or move the mouse to
unlock the screen, the input window remains behind the image - or so
it appears: the mouse only shows up within the bounds of where the
window would be, but it is not visible on the screen.

The screensaver I am using is GLSlideShow.

This only happens on my home desktop. This did not happen on this
machine when I was running Ubuntu 10.10 about a month ago.

OS: 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04 LTS"

(Relevant) Internal hardware:
M/B: MSI 880G-e45 (MSI-7576)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
ram: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz (PC10600) 4x4G 9-9-9-24
vid: ATI Radeon HD 4250 RS880 (on board)
f/w: AMI BIOS V2.11 (12/08/2010)

xorg.conf (used to be the short one that comes with the release, but
this also doesn't help):

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

fglrx version is 2:8.960-0ubuntu1.

Should I file this as a bug? I've also found a way to crash the X
server in this config, although it is tricky.

MR

Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 AM
MR ZenWiz

Jamie (xscreensaver's author) says it's the ATI fglrx driver.

I put an NVidia video card in my machine and the problem is gone.

I also filed a bug at AMD/ATI, but the response I got from their
customer support was not promising (a non-Linux person responded).

Old 07-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Ric Moore

Jamie (xscreensaver's author) says it's the ATI fglrx driver.

I put an NVidia video card in my machine and the problem is gone.

I also filed a bug at AMD/ATI, but the response I got from their
customer support was not promising (a non-Linux person responded).

You pretty much have to give the Devil his due. nVidia has a pretty good
track record of support for Linux, even if it's a closed source binary.
I use nothing else. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html