Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM
"G. "

Default removing Chrome OS

I have Chrome OS installed alongside Ubuntu 12. If I delete Chrome
will I need to repair GRUB?

thanks

gary

Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Colin Law

On 11 July 2012 19:31, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Chrome OS installed alongside Ubuntu 12. If I delete Chrome
> will I need to repair GRUB?

Assuming you initially installed ubuntu and then added chrome os in a
separate partition then if you remove Chrome OS then I think all you
need to do is to boot into Ubuntu and, in a terminal, run
sudo update-grub
which will search the available partitions and re-build the boot menu.
I am not sure about the situation if Chrome OS is in the boot
partition however, if that is the case then I would take advice from
someone else.

Colin

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 AM
"G. "

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 11 July 2012 19:31, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have Chrome OS installed alongside Ubuntu 12. If I delete Chrome
>> will I need to repair GRUB?
>
> Assuming you initially installed ubuntu and then added chrome os in a
> separate partition then if you remove Chrome OS then I think all you
> need to do is to boot into Ubuntu and, in a terminal, run
> sudo update-grub
> which will search the available partitions and re-build the boot menu.
> I am not sure about the situation if Chrome OS is in the boot
> partition however, if that is the case then I would take advice from
> someone else.
>
> Colin

I could not get chrome to install without wiping the disk. I think I
could just regenerate GRUB and I'd be alright. But that would not
change the fact that the disk was somehow formatted as a GPT, does it?
How did it get that way? I do not think it came that way and Ubuntu
would not install that way, would it?

garyk

Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Colin Law

On 12 July 2012 06:11, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 July 2012 19:31, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have Chrome OS installed alongside Ubuntu 12. If I delete Chrome
>>> will I need to repair GRUB?
>>
>> Assuming you initially installed ubuntu and then added chrome os in a
>> separate partition then if you remove Chrome OS then I think all you
>> need to do is to boot into Ubuntu and, in a terminal, run
>> sudo update-grub
>> which will search the available partitions and re-build the boot menu.
>> I am not sure about the situation if Chrome OS is in the boot
>> partition however, if that is the case then I would take advice from
>> someone else.
>>

> I could not get chrome to install without wiping the disk. I think I
> could just regenerate GRUB and I'd be alright. But that would not
> change the fact that the disk was somehow formatted as a GPT, does it?
> How did it get that way? I do not think it came that way and Ubuntu
> would not install that way, would it?

You said you had Chrome OS alongside Ubuntu, now you say that you
wiped the disk to install Chrome. You had not previously mentioned
GPT so I don't know what that is about. If there is nothing else on
the disk just wipe it again and start from scratch.

Colin

Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 12 July 2012 06:11, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Assuming you initially installed ubuntu and then added chrome os in a
>>> separate partition then if you remove Chrome OS then I think all you
>>> need to do is to boot into Ubuntu and, in a terminal, run
>>> sudo update-grub
>>> which will search the available partitions and re-build the boot menu.
>>> I am not sure about the situation if Chrome OS is in the boot
>>> partition however, if that is the case then I would take advice from
>>> someone else.
>>>

>> I could not get chrome to install without wiping the disk. I think I
>> could just regenerate GRUB and I'd be alright. But that would not
>> change the fact that the disk was somehow formatted as a GPT, does it?
>> How did it get that way? I do not think it came that way and Ubuntu
>> would not install that way, would it?
>
> You said you had Chrome OS alongside Ubuntu, now you say that you
> wiped the disk to install Chrome. You had not previously mentioned
> GPT so I don't know what that is about. If there is nothing else on
> the disk just wipe it again and start from scratch.
>
> Colin
>

>> garyk
>>
>> --

Sorry I have two threads going. Ignore the GTP issue here. I have
Ubuntu 12 on the disk alongside Chrome Lime. If I delete the
partition containing Chrome will I need to regenerate GRUB (from the
Live CD)? Chrome went on the hard disk first.

thanks

garyk

Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Steve Flynn

On 12 July 2012 10:26, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I have two threads going. Ignore the GTP issue here. I have
> Ubuntu 12 on the disk alongside Chrome Lime. If I delete the
> partition containing Chrome will I need to regenerate GRUB (from the
> Live CD)? Chrome went on the hard disk first.

I believe it'll be ok - obviously the Grub entries to boot to Chrome
OS won't work but the Ubuntu partitions should still be bootable.

--
Steve

Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Mika Suomalainen