Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Jkhatri

Default Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

Dear all

I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,

when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it asks for
password to receive the mail , and it also asks for password when I send
first new email or reply to any received mail, thats ok , but after that
done successfully whenever I try send/reply to 2nd mail it does not ask
for password it simply sends the mail. I want to configure Thunderbird
to ask for password each and every time I send mail , is there any
configuration available in Thunderbird ???

Thanks in advance

Warm Regards
./
Jatin khatri

Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Steve Flynn

On 11 July 2012 06:57, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,
>
> password it simply sends the mail. I want to configure Thunderbird to ask
> for password each and every time I send mail , is there any configuration
> available in Thunderbird ???

An odd request - not something I'd expect to be configurable, but a
google search turns up
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=665542

Additionally, you could try putting an invalid password into your SMTP
config within Thunderbird, something you know is bad. That should end
up generating a "please give me the correct password" request each
time, but then again the code may well cache the correct password for
the rest of session. Without seeing the TB code I can't tell.

--
Steve

Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Linnian Xu

Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Basil Chupin

I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,

when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it asks for
password to receive the mail , and it also asks for password when I
send first new email or reply to any received mail, thats ok , but
after that done successfully whenever I try send/reply to 2nd mail it
does not ask for password it simply sends the mail. I want to
configure Thunderbird to ask for password each and every time I send
mail , is there any configuration available in Thunderbird ???

Thanks in advance

Warm Regards
./
Jatin khatri

(I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being a student
of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I cannot resist...)

Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question? What is it that is
concerning you to ask the above question? Let me explain a bit.....

You get the first e-mail for the day and reply to it with Thunderbird
asking you for your password - but then when you want to send any
subsequent (ie, other, following, e-mails) you want it to also ask
again, and again, and again, and again, for each e-mail, after the very
first e-mail, your password. Is this a correct description of what your
request for help?

If this is so, my question is: what is so special about your subsequent
e-mails, after the first one you sent, which would want you to have
Thunderbird ask you every time for you password?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Gilles Gravier

Basil,

On 12/07/2012 10:02, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/07/12 15:57, Jkhatri wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,
>>
>> when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it asks for
>> password to receive the mail , and it also asks for password when I
>> send first new email or reply to any received mail, thats ok , but
>> after that done successfully whenever I try send/reply to 2nd mail it
>> does not ask for password it simply sends the mail. I want to
>> configure Thunderbird to ask for password each and every time I send
>> mail , is there any configuration available in Thunderbird ???
>>

>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Warm Regards
>> ./
>> Jatin khatri
>
> (I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being a
> student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I cannot
> resist...)
>
> Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question? What is it that is
> concerning you to ask the above question? Let me explain a bit.....
>
> You get the first e-mail for the day and reply to it with Thunderbird
> asking you for your password - but then when you want to send any
> subsequent (ie, other, following, e-mails) you want it to also ask
> again, and again, and again, and again, for each e-mail, after the
> very first e-mail, your password. Is this a correct description of
> what your request for help?
>
> If this is so, my question is: what is so special about your
> subsequent e-mails, after the first one you sent, which would want you
> to have Thunderbird ask you every time for you password?

Potential security issue. If he forgets to log off when he goes to get a
tea or a coffee, somebody can use his logged-in TBird session to send
e-mails impersonating him. Sometimes the automatic screenlock takes
place after a few minutes. Window of opportunity for somebody to come
and do nasty things. If you are in an environment where such activity is
a risk (university, cyber cafe, office area, hospital, you name it),
then it would be nice to have an option to "always require password for
sending mail". I.e. to disable the password caching mecanism.

Think "sudo" when you use "sudo" you get prompted for a password. If you
use sudo immediately after, no need to re-enter a password. If you wait
a few minutes, you are prompted again for your password. Sudo is a
dangerous command that somebody using your session should not be able to
re-use if you used it before giving them access. Same goes for sending
e-mail (in some contexts as explained above).

Gilles.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

<Groan>

If THAT is the only concern then you do NOT have to wait for the
screenlock to kick-in after "a few minutes" - you simply lock the screen
with one or two clicks of the mouse and the system is locked in less
than a second!

Come on now, come up with a sensible explanation - please.

BC

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Gilles Gravier

Basil,

On 12/07/2012 11:02, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/07/12 18:07, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Basil,

>>> (I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being a
>>> student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I cannot
>>> resist...)
>>>
>>> Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question? What is it that is
>>> concerning you to ask the above question? Let me explain a bit.....
>>>
>>> You get the first e-mail for the day and reply to it with Thunderbird
>>> asking you for your password - but then when you want to send any
>>> subsequent (ie, other, following, e-mails) you want it to also ask
>>> again, and again, and again, and again, for each e-mail, after the
>>> very first e-mail, your password. Is this a correct description of
>>> what your request for help?
>>>
>>> If this is so, my question is: what is so special about your
>>> subsequent e-mails, after the first one you sent, which would want you
>>> to have Thunderbird ask you every time for you password?
>> Potential security issue. If he forgets to log off when he goes to get a
>> tea or a coffee, somebody can use his logged-in TBird session to send
>> e-mails impersonating him. Sometimes the automatic screenlock takes
>> place after a few minutes.
>
> <Groan>
>
> If THAT is the only concern then you do NOT have to wait for the
> screenlock to kick-in after "a few minutes" - you simply lock the
> screen with one or two clicks of the mouse and the system is locked in
> less than a second!
>
> Come on now, come up with a sensible explanation - please.

That is the sensible explanation they have for "sudo"'s behavior... It
is sensible to expect that same type of behavior (at least the option
to) from other sensitive apps. YOU may not want it. OTHERS may. Don't
think YOUR view always applies to OTHERS.

Gilles.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM

>Potential security issue. If he forgets to log off when he goes to get a tea or a coffee, somebody can use his logged-in TBird session to send e-mails impersonating him. Sometimes the automatic >screenlock takes place after a few minutes. Window of opportunity for somebody to come and do nasty things. If you are in an environment where such activity is a risk (university, cyber cafe, >office area, hospital, you name it), then it would be nice to have an option to "always require password for sending mail". I.e. to disable the password caching mecanism.

Why don't you set automatic screenlocker down to 1 minute or even below? Then you don't have this "security problem" with any program.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Alexander Skwar

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM, <Lucas.Betschart@crypto.ch> wrote:

> Why don't you set automatic screenlocker down to 1 minute or even below? Then you don't have this "security problem" with any program.

That's basically the same argument people seem to have, with
Firefox and Thunderbird (and others…) not pseudo-encrypting their
profile / cache folder.

There people, who complain, usually also get the same answwer:
That's not a task for the application; it's something which is much
better done on the Operating System side.

Which is a correct and helpful answer, I'd say.

Same here.

Alexander
--
↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯

Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/12/2012 01:32 PM, Basil Chupin
[...]

Security issue ...** suppose you are not in front of your laptop
after receiving your mail, say you gone out for some time ...
meanwhile someone comes and send a Email from your TB with a doc. as
attachment ...which you do not want to share with orhters....* what
you can do after mail is already sent ???????.....

What is it that is concerning you to ask the above question? Let
me explain a bit.....

You get the first e-mail for the day and reply to it with
Thunderbird asking you for your password - but then when y

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)