Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Gilles Gravier

Default Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

Hi!

On 13/07/2012 11:34, Jkhatri wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 01:45 PM, Lucas.Betschart@crypto.ch wrote:
>> I think this could be the solution for your problem:
>>
>> Go to:
>>
>> Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Config-Editor->Confirm
>> Enter "password" in search and set "security.password_lifetime" value to 0.
>

> nop ..... not working .... followed your instructions and value is
> adjusted to "0" .......but it asks for password first time ... then
> never :'(

"0" means infinite. Never times out. Try "1".

Gilles

Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/13/2012 03:35 PM, Gilles Gravier
wrote:

Hi!

On 13/07/2012 11:34, Jkhatri wrote:

On 07/13/2012 01:45 PM, Lucas.Betschart@crypto.ch wrote:

I think this could be the solution for your problem:

Go to:

Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Config-Editor->Confirm
Enter "password" in search and set "security.password_lifetime" value to 0.

nop ..... not working .... followed your instructions and value is
adjusted to "0" .......but it asks for password first time ... then
never :'(

"0" means infinite. Never times out. Try "1".

Gilles

I don't think so..... as 30 was the default value ..!!!!

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/13/2012 03:35 PM, Gilles Gravier
I think this could be the solution for your problem:

nop ..... not working .... followed your instructions and value is
adjusted to "0" .......but it asks for password first time ... then
never :'(

"0" means infinite. Never times out. Try "1".

Gilles

I've also tried ... security.ask_for_password* ,, original value was
0 ..I've tested it with 1 ( after changing the value ... I've closed
the TB and re-launched it )

but the situation is the same ...

--

*/

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 13/07/2012 12:13, Jkhatri wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 03:35 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Hi!

>> "0" means infinite. Never times out. Try "1".
>>
>> Gilles
> I've also tried ... security.ask_for_password ,, original value was 0
> ..I've tested it with 1 ( after changing the value ... I've closed the
> TB and re-launched it )
>
> but the situation is the same ...

Well, have a look at : http://kb.mozillazine.org/about:config_entries
and search for ask_for_password.

The description is :

Determines when Mozilla Mail should ask for the master password.
*0* (default): Only the first time it's needed
*1*: Every time it's needed
*2*: Every /n/ minutes, where /n/ is the value in
*security.password_lifetime*.

This means that :

1) This parameter only applies for the MASTER PASWORD.
2) The value is 0, 1 or 2. And if you want to specify a number of
minutes, you also have to edit security.password_lifetime

Note the "MASTER PASSWORD" thing. Have you set a master password to
protect your account passwords? Then you tell it to ask for the master
password "every time it's needed" (value : 1) or "every N minutes"
(value : 2, then set security.password_lifetime).

But you have to set a master password. And you will be prompted for the
master password. Not for the account password. But that's more or less
equivalent in terms of security.

Gilles.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/13/2012 03:51 PM, Gilles Gravier
[...]

nice one

I'll try it

I'm happy to set the master password ... if it can solve my
problem,,,,, will let you know

Regards

--

*/

Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 10:30, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 02:19 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>
> On 13 July 2012 09:41, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with your quoting, it is not clear
who has written what

> Hi!
>
> On 13/07/2012 10:26, Colin Law wrote:
>
> On 13 July 2012 08:40, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/13/2012 12:57 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> On 13/07/12 15:37, Jkhatri wrote:
>
> On 07/12/2012 01:32 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> On 11/07/12 15:57, Jkhatri wrote:

> I am hoping the OP will respond.
>
> I've respond each and every post ......... is list getting my
> mails......?????

Yes, I just wanted to make it clear that I was responding to someone
other than yourself who at responded to my point.

> However I would not let anyone use
> my PC even for five minutes unattended if I thought there was any
> danger of them sending emails in my name. Also if that is what the OP
> wants then he could simply switch to the guest user for those five
> minutes.
>
> I'm 100% agree to you though
>
> however its not possible every time .... some time you have to have .... you
> cannot resist

What? You cannot resist giving your laptop to someone you do not
trust without switching to the guest user first?

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 10:24, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 01:56 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> I don't understand why you are not willing just to lock the screen
>> (not switch off or disconnect from internet). Click on the cog in the
>> top right hand corner (assuming you are using unity) then select Lock
>> Screen. Why does this not solve the problem?
>

> suppose I've given my laptop to one of my friend to check his Email (
> obviously on web-mail) ..then .???

Then switch to the guest user as I have suggested elsewhere.

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/13/2012 04:58 PM, Colin Law
I don't understand why you are not willing just to lock the screen
(not switch off or disconnect from internet). Click on the cog in the
top right hand corner (assuming you are using unity) then select Lock
Screen. Why does this not solve the problem?

suppose I've given my laptop to one of my friend to check his Email (
obviously on web-mail) ..then .???

Then switch to the guest user as I have suggested elsewhere.

Colin

Ok,* I think this is the way .... guest user

but this is not the solution .... main question remains intact ... I
want same function as "sudo" session it will be automatically
dropped after some predefined amount of time. same kind of session
timeout configuration option should be available somewhere* for TB.

Regards

--

*/

Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM