Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Jkhatri

Default Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

On 07/13/2012 12:57 PM, Basil Chupin
wrote:

On
13/07/12 15:37, Jkhatri wrote:

On 07/12/2012 01:32 PM, Basil Chupin
wrote:

On 11/07/12 15:57, Jkhatri wrote:

Dear all

I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,

when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it
asks for password to receive the mail , and it also asks for
password when I send first new email or reply to any
received mail, thats ok , but after that done successfully
whenever I try send/reply to 2nd mail it does not ask for
password it simply sends the mail. I want to configure
Thunderbird to ask for password each and every time I send
mail , is there any configuration available in Thunderbird
???

Thanks in advance

Warm Regards

./

Jatin khatri

(I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being
a student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I
cannot resist...)

Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question?

Security issue ...** suppose you are not in front of your laptop
after receiving your mail, say you gone out for some time ...
meanwhile someone comes and send a Email from your TB with a
doc. as attachment ...which you do not want to share with
orhters.... what you can do after mail is already sent
???????.....

So, THIS is your real concern - security when you decided to leave
your computer/laptop for a few minutes to go to the toilet of have
a cigarette or get a cup of tea, right?

I have already answered this question when I responded to what
Gilles wrote: LOCK SCREEN when you want to leave your computer. It
takes just 2 simple clicks of the mouse to achieve this.

So one solution would be ..... disconnect your pc from internet
...no one will be able to send or even receive ..... :-)

think that you need to explain why you are so concerned about
this. Knowing the real reasons for your concern is most important
in helping you with your concern.

*already done ...said

WHY are you so worried about someone using your computer/laptop to
post some message, and with attachment, while you may step away
from your computer/laptop?

why people installs ... anti virus progs.* ... .. even then can
avoid* use of* internet , removable medias ..... to protect their
pcs virus or any malicious progs.* .... they do not go to this way
...because thats not the solution, its not the practical way

What I wrote about LOCKING SCREEN is more than enough to satisfy
your concern as the way you described it so far. Is there more to
your concern than you have said so far?

even I can shutdown my laptop .... it will not take to much time
....** but its not practical

If you feel that you want to discuss this privately and not in
this public mail list then please do not hesitate to send me a
private message and I will be glad to help you.

thanks but not actually needed

Warm Regards

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 13/07/2012 09:27, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/07/12 15:37, Jkhatri wrote:

>>> (I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being a
>>> student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I cannot
>>> resist...)
>>>
>>> Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question?
>> Security issue ... suppose you are not in front of your laptop
>> after receiving your mail, say you gone out for some time ...
>> meanwhile someone comes and send a Email from your TB with a doc. as
>> attachment ...which you do not want to share with orhters.... what
>> you can do after mail is already sent ???????.....
>
> So, THIS is your real concern - security when you decided to leave
> your computer/laptop for a few minutes to go to the toilet of have a
> cigarette or get a cup of tea, right?

Surprise surprise...

> I have already answered this question when I responded to what Gilles
> wrote: LOCK SCREEN when you want to leave your computer. It takes just
> 2 simple clicks of the mouse to achieve this.

And to circumvent. This is why "sudo" implements a password timeout
mecanism... as I posted in the answer you mention. This is a sensible
way to procede... as I mentionned too.

> I think that you need to explain why you are so concerned about this.
> Knowing the real reasons for your concern is most important in helping
> you with your concern.

Because (I'm guessing, applying security common sense) that 2 measures
(lock screen with timeout trigger and password timeout on TBird) is
better than just one. That's part of a defense in depth strategy,
something very common when talking security. I'm sure you're aware of that.

> WHY are you so worried about someone using your computer/laptop to
> post some message, and with attachment, while you may step away from
> your computer/laptop?

Because of :

1) Theft of documents (work context)
2) Theft of identity (any context)
3) Misuse of documents (work, medical)
4) Mischief (any context)

I could list more, but I'm sure you get the drift...

> What I wrote about LOCKING SCREEN is more than enough to satisfy your
> concern as the way you described it so far. Is there more to your
> concern than you have said so far?

No it is not. What happens when you let somebody access your account for
a few minutes? Basil, before you answer this one with a cookie cutter
answer about "you should never do that", check what MOST PEOPLE DO. It
happens. More than you think.

> If you feel that you want to discuss this privately and not in this
> public mail list then please do not hesitate to send me a private
> message and I will be glad to help you.

I think everybody learns if we discuss this here. Maybe you too, Basil.

Gilles

Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Basil Chupin