Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Jkhatri

Default Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

On 07/12/2012 02:32 PM, Basil Chupin
wrote:

On
12/07/12 18:07, Gilles Gravier wrote:

Basil,

On 12/07/2012 10:02, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 11/07/12 15:57, Jkhatri wrote:

Dear all

I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,

when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it
asks for

password to receive the mail , and it also asks for password
when I

send first new email or reply to any received mail, thats ok
, but

after that done successfully whenever I try send/reply to
2nd mail it

does not ask for password it simply sends the mail. I want

configure Thunderbird to ask for password each and every
time I send

mail , is there any configuration available in Thunderbird
???

Thanks in advance

Warm Regards

./

Jatin khatri

(I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being

student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I
cannot

resist...)

Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question? What is it
that is

concerning you to ask the above question? Let me explain a
bit.....

<Groan>

If THAT is the only concern then you do NOT have to wait for the
screenlock to kick-in after "a few minutes" - you simply lock the
screen with one or two clicks of the mouse and the system is
locked in less than a second!

I afraid... that some one will come with solution like .... " don't
keep your sensitive information or documents in your laptop or
desktop ...!!!!!"*

Come
on now, come up with a sensible explanation - please.

BC

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Ric Moore

I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,

when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it asks for
password to receive the mail , and it also asks for password when I
send first new email or reply to any received mail, thats ok , but
after that done successfully whenever I try send/reply to 2nd mail it
does not ask for password it simply sends the mail. I want to
configure Thunderbird to ask for password each and every time I send
mail , is there any configuration available in Thunderbird ???

Thanks in advance

Warm Regards
./
Jatin khatri

(I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being a
student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I cannot
resist...)

Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question? What is it that is
concerning you to ask the above question? Let me explain a bit.....

You get the first e-mail for the day and reply to it with Thunderbird
asking you for your password - but then when you want to send any
subsequent (ie, other, following, e-mails) you want it to also ask
again, and again, and again, and again, for each e-mail, after the
very first e-mail, your password. Is this a correct description of
what your request for help?

If this is so, my question is: what is so special about your
subsequent e-mails, after the first one you sent, which would want you
to have Thunderbird ask you every time for you password?

Potential security issue. If he forgets to log off when he goes to get a
tea or a coffee, somebody can use his logged-in TBird session to send
e-mails impersonating him. Sometimes the automatic screenlock takes
place after a few minutes. Window of opportunity for somebody to come
and do nasty things. If you are in an environment where such activity is
a risk (university, cyber cafe, office area, hospital, you name it),
then it would be nice to have an option to "always require password for
sending mail". I.e. to disable the password caching mecanism.

Think "sudo" when you use "sudo" you get prompted for a password. If you
use sudo immediately after, no need to re-enter a password. If you wait
a few minutes, you are prompted again for your password. Sudo is a
dangerous command that somebody using your session should not be able to
re-use if you used it before giving them access. Same goes for sending
e-mail (in some contexts as explained above).
If you never ticked the "remember password" box, it would ask you each
time. I just checked, it ought to be somewhere in
.thunderbird/<userprofile> prefs.js
I didn't find it there, but I would hazard a guess that a closer
inspection should find it. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/13/2012 11:14 AM, Ric Moore
I'm using thunderbird 13.0.1 on my ubuntu 12.04,

when I start Thunderbird for the first time during a day it
asks for

password to receive the mail , and it also asks for password
when I

If you never ticked the "remember password" box, it would ask you
each time. I just checked, it ought to be somewhere in
.thunderbird/<userprofile> prefs.js

I didn't find it there, but I would hazard a guess that a closer
inspection should find it. Ric

I have not ticked the "remember password" box ... I'm sure .... if I
did ..it should not ask password even first send/receive mail

--

*/

Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Basil Chupin

Potential security issue. If he forgets to log off when he goes to get a
tea or a coffee, somebody can use his logged-in TBird session to send
e-mails impersonating him. Sometimes the automatic screenlock takes
place after a few minutes.

<Groan>

If THAT is the only concern then you do NOT have to wait for the
screenlock to kick-in after "a few minutes" - you simply lock the
screen with one or two clicks of the mouse and the system is locked in
less than a second!

Come on now, come up with a sensible explanation - please.

That is the sensible explanation they have for "sudo"'s behavior... It
is sensible to expect that same type of behavior (at least the option
to) from other sensitive apps. YOU may not want it. OTHERS may. Don't
think YOUR view always applies to OTHERS.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Let us review the situation......

Jatin asked his question - to which I responded.

Jatin has yet to respond.

But you jumped in with your assumption about his reason for asking his
question; I responded to your assumption by pointing out that it is only
a matter of 2 mouse-clicks to make your desktop secure from prying eyes
or actions and without having to wait for minutes.

Quite often people ask questions because they don't know other ways of
tackling something which concerns them and by giving them another
choice, or other choices, they can then make a more informed decision.

I would rather wait for Jatin to actually respond to what has been
written so far - afteral he is the one who asked the question, not you,
not me, and then we will be working with something more substantial than
your assumption. Agreed?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Basil Chupin

Think "sudo" when you use "sudo" you get prompted for a password. If you
use sudo immediately after, no need to re-enter a password. If you wait
a few minutes, you are prompted again for your password. Sudo is a
dangerous command that somebody using your session should not be able to
re-use if you used it before giving them access. Same goes for sending
e-mail (in some contexts as explained above).
If you never ticked the "remember password" box, it would ask you each
time. I just checked, it ought to be somewhere in
.thunderbird/<userprofile> prefs.js
I didn't find it there, but I would hazard a guess that a closer
inspection should find it. Ric

Absolutely correct - but I didn't want to bring this up when responding
to Jatin.

Thunderbird asks you the *first* time you use it if you want to it to
remember the password. If you answer "NO" then you have to keep entering
your password each and every time you want to collect your messages or
send them. A total and absolute mind-boggling waste of time.

For Firefox the situation re password(s) is different - at least as far
as connecting to your *ISP* because you enter your password for your ISP
in your MODEM. Whenever you start Firefox and it goes to connect to your
ISP it automatically sends the password -- and with no connection to
your ISP you have no Thunderbird to collect/send mail and no browser.

However, when you use some website which requires a password for you to
access it then Firefox will ask if you want it to remember this
password. You also have the option of also using an additional MASTER
password (this is set in the Preferences) which is an added security
measure - but is also a bit of a pain in the butt because you need to
enter this Master password each time you go to any site which requires
you to enter a password to gain access to it (lets' say, a bank or,
better still, a porn site 8-) ).

(I'll stop here before I go blind! :-D .)

BC

Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

I thought the OP WANTED to enter the passwd each time? If it doesn't do
that, then he had to initially check the tic box for Tbird to remember
it. I just don't know what config file that tic box writes to, where he
could disable it. But, it must be there somewhere

I guess he could delete the account from Tbbird, then set it up again
(be sure to write all of the info down for reference) and this time
don't check the tic box. Same with sending email. Before dinking with
it, maybe making a backup would be in order.

cp -raf .thunderbird/ .thunderbird.orig/
That would get everything and have all the permissions preserved ...just
in case it all goes blooie. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Jkhatri

On 07/13/2012 12:00 PM, Basil Chupin
Absolutely correct - but I didn't want to bring this up when
responding to Jatin.

Thunderbird asks you the *first* time you use it if you want to it
to remember the password. If you answer "NO" then you have to keep
entering your password each and every time you want to collect
your messages or send them. A total and absolute mind-boggling
waste of time.

I've not saved my password in TB ... it asks for password when I
start it first time ..... and try to send or receive mails ..... but
not after that *

--

*/

Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 AM