Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Colin Law

Default Schedule for removing unity 2d in Quantal

I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being
run with llvmpipe to provide the 3d stuff [1].
Does anyone know the schedule for this, I am keen to test it. I asked
on #ubuntu+1 but no-one replied.

[1] http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/05/quantal-quetzal-plans-uds-q-summary.html

Colin

Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Alexander Skwar

Guten Tag.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being

Really?

That would be bad.

On my machine, Unity 2D runs A LOT better than the 3D version,
"thanks" to the crappy graphics card/chip my system has (it's some
HP desktop "tower" with a Intel 82Q33 chipset for gfx).

Regards,
Alexander
--
↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯

Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Ryan Gauger

I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being

Really?

That would be bad.

On my machine, Unity 2D runs A LOT better than the 3D version,
"thanks" to the crappy graphics card/chip my system has (it's some
HP desktop "tower" with a Intel 82Q33 chipset for gfx).

Regards,
Alexander
--
↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯

Actually, my laptop is only four years old (well, it's not new, but it's
not ancient either), and Unity graphics are sometimes laggy and choppy.
Unity 2d runs a whole lot better, but the desktop looks flat because
there is no shadow, as there is in the 3d version of Unity.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Patton

I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being

Really?

That would be bad.

On my machine, Unity 2D runs A LOT better than the 3D version,
"thanks" to the crappy graphics card/chip my system has (it's some
HP desktop "tower" with a Intel 82Q33 chipset for gfx).

Regards,
Alexander
--
↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯

Actually, my laptop is only four years old (well, it's not new, but
it's not ancient either), and Unity graphics are sometimes laggy and
choppy. Unity 2d runs a whole lot better, but the desktop looks flat
because there is no shadow, as there is in the 3d version of Unity.

sorry to nudge in, where can you see which you are running? Try
alternate settings? My laptop is old and maybe going to 2d would help.

--
Patton

Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 02:00, Ryan Gauger <rtgkid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 04:16 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>
>> Guten Tag.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being
>>
>> Really?
>>
>> That would be bad.
>>
>> On my machine, Unity 2D runs A LOT better than the 3D version,
>> "thanks" to the crappy graphics card/chip my system has (it's some
>> HP desktop "tower" with a Intel 82Q33 chipset for gfx).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alexander
>> --
>> ↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
>> ↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯
>>
> Actually, my laptop is only four years old (well, it's not new, but it's not
> ancient either), and Unity graphics are sometimes laggy and choppy. Unity 2d
> runs a whole lot better, but the desktop looks flat because there is no
> shadow, as there is in the 3d version of Unity.

Please don't hijack the thread, the subject is when unity-2d is to be
removed, not the aesthetics of unity-2d

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 06:33, Patton <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 06:00 PM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>>
>> On 07/12/2012 04:16 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>>
>>> Guten Tag.

>>> Really?
>>>
>>> That would be bad.
>>>
>>> On my machine, Unity 2D runs A LOT better than the 3D version,
>>> "thanks" to the crappy graphics card/chip my system has (it's some
>>> HP desktop "tower" with a Intel 82Q33 chipset for gfx).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Alexander
>>> --
>>> ↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
>>> ↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯
>>>
>> Actually, my laptop is only four years old (well, it's not new, but it's
>> not ancient either), and Unity graphics are sometimes laggy and choppy.
>> Unity 2d runs a whole lot better, but the desktop looks flat because there
>> is no shadow, as there is in the 3d version of Unity.
>>

> sorry to nudge in, where can you see which you are running? Try alternate
> settings? My laptop is old and maybe going to 2d would help.

Please don't hijack the thread, the subject is when unity-2d is to be
removed, not how to find out which UI you are running. Start a new
thread to ask there please (or google).

Colin

Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Ryan Gauger

On Jul 13, 2012, at 12:33 AM, Patton <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 06:00 PM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>> On 07/12/2012 04:16 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>> Guten Tag.

>>> Really?
>>>
>>> That would be bad.
>>>
>>> On my machine, Unity 2D runs A LOT better than the 3D version,
>>> "thanks" to the crappy graphics card/chip my system has (it's some
>>> HP desktop "tower" with a Intel 82Q33 chipset for gfx).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Alexander
>>> --
>>> ↯ Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/ ↯
>>> ↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77 ↯
>>>
>> Actually, my laptop is only four years old (well, it's not new, but it's not ancient either), and Unity graphics are sometimes laggy and choppy. Unity 2d runs a whole lot better, but the desktop looks flat because there is no shadow, as there is in the 3d version of Unity.
>>

> sorry to nudge in, where can you see which you are running? Try alternate settings? My laptop is old and maybe going to 2d would help.
>
> --
> Patton

The appearance will tell you. If you are on the desktop, you should be able to tell. If there is a shadow underneath the top panel, you are running Unity 3d. If there is no shadow, you are most-likely running Unity 2d.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Avi Greenbury

Colin Law wrote:

> I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being
> run with llvmpipe to provide the 3d stuff [1].
> Does anyone know the schedule for this, I am keen to test it. I asked
> on #ubuntu+1 but no-one replied.
>
> [1]
> http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/05/quantal-quetzal-plans-uds-q-summary.html

This is probably the sort of question best asked on one of the ubuntu
developer lists.

Ubuntu-devel[0] is where ongoing discussion about the development takes
place between Ubuntu developers, and ubuntu-devel-discuss[1] is the
place for discussion among developers and users; I'd check the archives
of -devel to see if your answer's there and, if not, perhaps post to
-devel-discuss. It's worth bearing in mind that there may well not be a
schedule yet.

--
Avi

Old 07-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 23:51, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>
>> I gather that Unity 2d is to be removed from Quantal, Unity 3d being
>> run with llvmpipe to provide the 3d stuff [1].
>> Does anyone know the schedule for this, I am keen to test it. I asked
>> on #ubuntu+1 but no-one replied.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/05/quantal-quetzal-plans-uds-q-summary.html
>>

> This is probably the sort of question best asked on one of the ubuntu
> developer lists.
>
> Ubuntu-devel[0] is where ongoing discussion about the development takes
> place between Ubuntu developers, and ubuntu-devel-discuss[1] is the
> place for discussion among developers and users; I'd check the archives
> of -devel to see if your answer's there and, if not, perhaps post to
> -devel-discuss. It's worth bearing in mind that there may well not be a
> schedule yet.

Thanks, I will do that.

Colin