Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
GaryT

Default Accessing Usenet News Groups

Would someone help please.

OS is Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)

I installed Pan newsreader from the Software Centre, completed the
Server configuration details, user name and password etc but when
started, Pan does not access the server. It is supposed to download and
display a list of available newsgroups.

The same details I use to access the server from a different Linux
machine (Intrepid) using Agent running on Wine and everything works
perfectly but that's an entirely different installation. I mention it
only to confirm that the login details and the IP address are correct.

Reading widely I saw it mentioned in several places that someone in a
similar situation needed to have the gtk libraries installed. Checking
with the Synaptic Package manager I find there are 3 lots of GTK2 Theme
Engine libraries installed and a dozen or more gtk libraries NOT
installed. There is also a bunch of GTK2 libraries NOT installed.

Am I heading in the right direction?
If yes, Which libraries SHOULD be installed?
If not, where else could the problem be?

Much appreciated
GaryT

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Liam Proven

On 10 July 2012 13:41, GaryT <taig@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> Would someone help please.
>
> OS is Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)
>
> I installed Pan newsreader from the Software Centre, completed the Server
> configuration details, user name and password etc but when started, Pan does
> not access the server. It is supposed to download and display a list of
> available newsgroups.
>
> The same details I use to access the server from a different Linux machine
> (Intrepid) using Agent running on Wine and everything works perfectly but
> that's an entirely different installation. I mention it only to confirm that
> the login details and the IP address are correct.
>
> Reading widely I saw it mentioned in several places that someone in a
> similar situation needed to have the gtk libraries installed. Checking with
> the Synaptic Package manager I find there are 3 lots of GTK2 Theme Engine
> libraries installed and a dozen or more gtk libraries NOT installed. There
> is also a bunch of GTK2 libraries NOT installed.
>
> Am I heading in the right direction?
> If yes, Which libraries SHOULD be installed?
> If not, where else could the problem be?

Try with Thunderbird.

This will help determine if it is a network problem.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 PM
GaryT