-   -   doubling USB input port (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/681791-doubling-usb-input-port.html)

"Joep L. Blom" 07-09-2012 10:10 PM

doubling USB input port

I have a peculiar problem for which hopefully somebody can give me a
solution.
I have an external device that is connected to my system (ubuntu 10.04
on an AMD Phenom processor) via an USB-port.
I have a Linux program that can process the data from the USB port as
well as a Windows program running in an XP-guest under VMware.
VMware claims the USB port exclusively so the XP-guest has the
exclusive rights to process the data coming from the device.
As the data from the device are only periodically read there is more
than enough time for both applications to acquire the data.
I don't know a process that can switch control access to the USB port
nor do I know of a process that can mirror an USB port. I also don't
know if VMware (or virtualbox) has a control mechanism to switch an
external device from connect to disconnect (because when is device is
disconnected from a virtualization client it is automatically connected
to the host).

Somebody has a clue or a brainwave?
Joep

NoOp 07-09-2012 11:51 PM

doubling USB input port

On 07/09/2012 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I have a peculiar problem for which hopefully somebody can give me a
> solution.
> I have an external device that is connected to my system (ubuntu 10.04
> on an AMD Phenom processor) via an USB-port.
> I have a Linux program that can process the data from the USB port as
> well as a Windows program running in an XP-guest under VMware.
> VMware claims the USB port exclusively so the XP-guest has the
> exclusive rights to process the data coming from the device.
> As the data from the device are only periodically read there is more
> than enough time for both applications to acquire the data.
> I don't know a process that can switch control access to the USB port
> nor do I know of a process that can mirror an USB port. I also don't
> know if VMware (or virtualbox) has a control mechanism to switch an
> external device from connect to disconnect (because when is device is
> disconnected from a virtualization client it is automatically connected
> to the host).
> Somebody has a clue or a brainwave?
> Joep

Clicking on the device icon in VMWare Status Bar to disconnect/connect
isn't what you are looking for? Are you instead looking to do this via
software? Maybe this will be of use:
<http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/devices_usb_ws.html>

As for VirtualBox, the last time I tried with USB's, I ended up having
to plug and unplug the device to get it to switch. That's primarily why
I switched to VMWare.

NoOp 07-10-2012 12:27 AM

doubling USB input port

On 07/09/2012 04:51 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Clicking on the device icon in VMWare Status Bar to disconnect/connect
> isn't what you are looking for? Are you instead looking to do this via
> software? Maybe this will be of use:
> <http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/devices_usb_ws.html>
>
> As for VirtualBox, the last time I tried with USB's, I ended up having
> to plug and unplug the device to get it to switch. That's primarily why
> I switched to VMWare.

Sorry, forgot to add that if you are looking for USB sharing/redirection:

<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+%2B+usb+redirection+%2B+vmware>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vmware+%2B+share+usb+port>

That will lead to possibles:
<http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/USB-Redirector.shtml>