Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
"G. "

Default how install win w/o wiping the disk

I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my hard drive and need to add windows
XP. Can I do so without wiping the disk and reinstalling ubuntu?

I found this link but I think it applies to earlier versions of Ubuntu.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm?page=2

Thanks

garyk

Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Avi Greenbury

G. wrote:

> I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my hard drive and need to add windows
> XP. Can I do so without wiping the disk and reinstalling ubuntu?

Yeah. Easiest, usually, is to boot into a LiveCD and shrink your Ubuntu
partition to create space for the Windows one. Windows used to insist
upon being the first (leftmost in most partition editors) partition,
but I believe that's untrue as of XP at the latest.

Simply install Windows into that empty space you created; the WinXP
installer partitioner's pretty clunky so make sure it's set to do what
you really want it to, but it doesn't insist upon using whole disks or
anything.

Having installed Windows you'll find that Grub's been overwritten by
Windows' own bootloader, you'll then need to follow this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Again from a LiveCD

--
Avi

Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
"G. "

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> G. wrote:
>
>> I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my hard drive and need to add windows
>> XP. Can I do so without wiping the disk and reinstalling ubuntu?
>
> Yeah. Easiest, usually, is to boot into a LiveCD and shrink your Ubuntu
> partition to create space for the Windows one. Windows used to insist
> upon being the first (leftmost in most partition editors) partition,
> but I believe that's untrue as of XP at the latest.
>
> Simply install Windows into that empty space you created; the WinXP
> installer partitioner's pretty clunky so make sure it's set to do what
> you really want it to, but it doesn't insist upon using whole disks or
> anything.
>
> Having installed Windows you'll find that Grub's been overwritten by
> Windows' own bootloader, you'll then need to follow this:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
>
> Again from a LiveCD
>
> --
> Avi

Thanks! For backing up/restoring my Ubuntu install (in case of
disaster) I was thinking of using remastersys. Do you have any
suggestions in that regard?

gary

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Peter Hillier-Brook

I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my hard drive and need to add windows
XP. Can I do so without wiping the disk and reinstalling ubuntu?

I find the best place for XP is in a virtual machine under VirtualBox,
although it does run slowly.

Peter HB

Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Joel Oliver

Also be sure never to convert Windows 'basic' disks to 'dynamic' disks.* This causes problems with grub being borked after entering windows and other problems.* Don't worry as this isn't done by default, but in control panel, administrator tools, disk management.* Some advanced operations ie. Resizing* your windows partition within windows, setting up striping/spanning in windows as well will prompt you...* just don't do it to maintain sanity :-)

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
"G. "

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Joel Oliver <joelol75@verizon.net> wrote:
> Also be sure never to convert Windows 'basic' disks to 'dynamic' disks.
> This causes problems with grub being borked after entering windows and other
> problems. Don't worry as this isn't done by default, but in control panel,
> administrator tools, disk management. Some advanced operations ie. Resizing
> your windows partition within windows, setting up striping/spanning in
> windows as well will prompt you... just don't do it to maintain sanity :-)

I will give it a go. I need to install Windows from a usb.
Untebootin should do it.

Any special issues installing from a usb?

thanks

garyk

Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 PM
"G. "

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Joel Oliver <joelol75@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Also be sure never to convert Windows 'basic' disks to 'dynamic' disks.
>> This causes problems with grub being borked after entering windows and other
>> problems. Don't worry as this isn't done by default, but in control panel,
>> administrator tools, disk management. Some advanced operations ie. Resizing
>> your windows partition within windows, setting up striping/spanning in
>> windows as well will prompt you... just don't do it to maintain sanity :-)
>>

>> --
>>

> I will give it a go. I need to install Windows from a usb.
> Untebootin should do it.
>
> Any special issues installing from a usb?
>
> thanks
>
> garyk

Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)

Thanks

garyk

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Liam Proven

On 11 July 2012 18:35, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
> install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
> Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
> Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
> it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)

Oh dear. Sounds to me like you need to backup and reinstall.

When reinstalling, *start* with Windows - this is always the best.
Other OSs understand being installed onto Windows drives; Windows does
not understand about being installed onto other OSs' drives.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
"G. "

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 July 2012 18:35, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
>> install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
>> Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
>> Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
>> it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)
>
> Oh dear. Sounds to me like you need to backup and reinstall.
>
> When reinstalling, *start* with Windows - this is always the best.
> Other OSs understand being installed onto Windows drives; Windows does
> not understand about being installed onto other OSs' drives.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

I hope you are wrong. I have read all over the place that Windows 7
at least can install to a partition. Before that I was thinking what
you are. Perhaps they are all wrong. Would not be the first time.

But it's this GPT bit I am confused about. Where did it come from?
Ubuntu? Chrome OS? If the latter I can wipe that off my disk.

garyk

Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Liam Proven

On 11 July 2012 19:20, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 July 2012 18:35, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
>>> install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
>>> Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
>>> Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
>>> it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)
>>
>> Oh dear. Sounds to me like you need to backup and reinstall.
>>
>> When reinstalling, *start* with Windows - this is always the best.
>> Other OSs understand being installed onto Windows drives; Windows does
>> not understand about being installed onto other OSs' drives.
>
> I hope you are wrong. I have read all over the place that Windows 7
> at least can install to a partition. Before that I was thinking what
> you are. Perhaps they are all wrong. Would not be the first time.
>
> But it's this GPT bit I am confused about. Where did it come from?
> Ubuntu? Chrome OS? If the latter I can wipe that off my disk.

GPT is not a thing, a file or anything. It is a partitioning scheme.
It is an alternative to MBR, the traditional PC disk partitioning
scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Boot_Record

As far as I know, there is no way to change a GPT-partitioned disk
into an MBR-partitioned one. You need to totally erase the disk and
repartition it. I could be wrong on this, though.

E.g.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html
- note that this appears to me to be destructive; it removes all
partitions, as I understand it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884