Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
"G. "

Default how install win w/o wiping the disk

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Ashoka K <ashok.vinu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ric,
>
> Even i want to install both Win Vista and Ubuntu on my laptop freshly due to
> response being too slow.
> I understand your method. But if possible please provide a detailed steps to
> do the same
>
> Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition,
> hopefully still running, then reformat the
> Win partition to ext3 or 4. Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy
> all the files there. Then a fresh install of Ubuntu to the
> Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount /opt and you have your safe storage. That's
> how I survive with fresh installs.
>

> Regards
> Ashoka. K
>

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/12/2012 12:08 AM, Doug wrote:
>>>
>>> On 07/11/2012 09:25 PM, Nick Bikkal wrote:
>>>
>>> /snip/

>>> Now you know how I felt when I let The Geek Squad work on my computer
>>> and tell me that the disk
>>> was ng, AND IT WAS THE WRONG DISK which I then threw away! I trust you
>>> know who the Geek Squad
>>> works for.
>>

>> Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition,
>> hopefully still running, then reformat the Win partition to ext3 or 4.
>> Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy all the files there. Then a
>> fresh install of Ubuntu to the Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount /opt and you
>> have your safe storage. That's how I survive with fresh installs. Ric
>>

>> --
>> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
>> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
>> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
>> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
>> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html
>>

>> --

Tried a 64 bit version, same GPT message and in addition "The
partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)."

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 July 2012 07:17, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I can not install W7 because my copy is a 32 bit version. I
> have an intel atom N 550. It is a 64 bit unit.

What? No.

All x86 64-bit chips can run 32-bit code. Youre 32-bit Windows should
work fine.

However, 32-bit Windows can't format a hard disk of more than 2TB.

You did not mention that your disk was this big when you originally
asked for help. Why not?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
"compdoc"

> Tried a 64 bit version, same GPT message and in
>addition "The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)."

Im not sure if you ever said, but what size is the hard drive?

By the way, set the drive to an ms-dos partition type when you want to use
an MBR. (For drives less than 2.2TB)

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM
NoOp

On 07/11/2012 11:20 AM, G. wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 July 2012 18:35, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
>>> install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
>>> Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
>>> Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
>>> it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)
>>
>> Oh dear. Sounds to me like you need to backup and reinstall.
>>
>> When reinstalling, *start* with Windows - this is always the best.
>> Other OSs understand being installed onto Windows drives; Windows does
>> not understand about being installed onto other OSs' drives.
> I hope you are wrong. I have read all over the place that Windows 7
> at least can install to a partition. Before that I was thinking what
> you are. Perhaps they are all wrong. Would not be the first time.
>
> But it's this GPT bit I am confused about. Where did it come from?
> Ubuntu? Chrome OS? If the latter I can wipe that off my disk.

What happened to the original question of this thread?

"I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my hard drive and need to add windows
XP. Can I do so without wiping the disk and reinstalling ubuntu?"

Anyway this may be of use:
<http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/cannot-install-windows-7-professional-issues-with/0153e5de-fb15-4388-9191-da0e2b8314b7>

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Patton

Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition,
hopefully still running, then reformat the Win partition to ext3 or 4.
Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy all the files there.
Then a fresh install of Ubuntu to the Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount
/opt and you have your safe storage. That's how I survive with fresh
installs. Ric

If you can copy files, copy them to an external HD. A 1TB usb drive can
be had for less that $100, if you don't need that much room, you can pay
much less.

--
Patton

Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
"G. "

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Patton <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 09:28 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>>

>> Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition,
>> hopefully still running, then reformat the Win partition to ext3 or 4.
>> Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy all the files there. Then a
>> fresh install of Ubuntu to the Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount /opt and you
>> have your safe storage. That's how I survive with fresh installs. Ric
>>

> If you can copy files, copy them to an external HD. A 1TB usb drive can be
> had for less that $100, if you don't need that much room, you can pay much
> less.
>
> --
> Patton

My drive is only 250 gigs. The install should work then. But it
doesn't. I wonder if it has anything to do with Chromeos which I
installed prior to installing Ubuntu 12.

If necessary I could wipe the disk and start from scratch. I'd rather
not have to reinstall ubuntu 12. The basic install is not difficult
or time consuming, it's getting all the programs installed, copying
files etc. I have used Clonezilla in the past but that does not seem
to be available yet for Ubuntu 12.

Thanks for all the replies.
garyk

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Liam Proven

On 13 July 2012 16:37, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> My drive is only 250 gigs.

Then you don't need GPT. MBR is fine for <2GB.

> The install should work then. But it
> doesn't. I wonder if it has anything to do with Chromeos which I
> installed prior to installing Ubuntu 12.

Doubt it.

> If necessary I could wipe the disk and start from scratch. I'd rather
> not have to reinstall ubuntu 12. The basic install is not difficult
> or time consuming, it's getting all the programs installed, copying
> files etc. I have used Clonezilla in the past but that does not seem
> to be available yet for Ubuntu 12.

2 other options:

[1] back up the /filesystem/ (not the whole partition) with something
like fsarchiver, remove partitions, repartition and reinstall with
Windows, then after Windows, restore Ubuntu.

[2] Use a tool to mark all your installed packages, reinstall, then
automatically reinstall them. There is at least one but I cannot
remember the name.

Hint: this kind of operation is much easier if you have a separate
/home filesystem/partition.

If it were me, I'd wipe & reinstall, I have to say.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2012 16:54, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 July 2012 16:37, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My drive is only 250 gigs.
>
> Then you don't need GPT. MBR is fine for <2GB.
>
>> The install should work then. But it
>> doesn't. I wonder if it has anything to do with Chromeos which I
>> installed prior to installing Ubuntu 12.
>
> Doubt it.
>
>> If necessary I could wipe the disk and start from scratch. I'd rather
>> not have to reinstall ubuntu 12. The basic install is not difficult
>> or time consuming, it's getting all the programs installed, copying
>> files etc. I have used Clonezilla in the past but that does not seem
>> to be available yet for Ubuntu 12.
>
> 2 other options:
>
> [1] back up the /filesystem/ (not the whole partition) with something
> like fsarchiver, remove partitions, repartition and reinstall with
> Windows, then after Windows, restore Ubuntu.

Could he clone the ubuntu partition using clonezilla, wipe and install
windows, create a partition the right size for ubuntu and restore it
from the clonezilla backup. Then install grub using the live CD? I
am shortly to get a new laptop and my plan is to clone the Ubuntu
partition to the new laptop using this technique (except windows will
already be installed).

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Liam Proven

On 13 July 2012 17:03, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Could he clone the ubuntu partition using clonezilla, wipe and install
> windows, create a partition the right size for ubuntu and restore it
> from the clonezilla backup. Then install grub using the live CD? I
> am shortly to get a new laptop and my plan is to clone the Ubuntu
> partition to the new laptop using this technique (except windows will
> already be installed).

TBH I do not know enough about Clonezilla - my use of it has been
copying whole partitions/disks & in this case the partition structure
will be different, so I am not sure it will work.

But you are right about the GRUB reinstall step.

The reason I am advocating wipe/reload is that this is basically one
of those "if you need to ask..." questions.

If one needs to ask about /if/ it's possible to copy partitions and so
on, then one probably doesn't have the necessary skills to find &
properly use the appropriate skills. In such a case, nuking &
reloading is likely to actually be quicker and easier. That is IME,
anyway.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
"compdoc"

> I have used Clonezilla in the past but that does not seem
> to be available yet for Ubuntu 12.

Clonezilla is fine for Ubuntu 12.04 and ext4 partitions, but possibly not
with gpt partition types.

I also don't know what will happen when copying a partition from an gpt type
drive to a ms-dos type drive.