Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
"compdoc"

Default how install win w/o wiping the disk

> But it's this GPT bit I am confused about. Where did it come from?
> Ubuntu? Chrome OS? If the latter I can wipe that off my disk.

GPT is required for drives larger than 2.19 TB in size. And your motherboard
requires an UEFI capable bios in order to boot from a GPT partition.

If the drive is smaller than that, use Gparted to change the partition type.
I don't know if it's possible to change and keep your data.

You should proceed as if it will not, and backup your data.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
"G. "

Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Students

Nick

Sent from my iPad

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Joel Oliver <joelol75@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Also be sure never to convert Windows 'basic' disks to 'dynamic' disks.
>>> This causes problems with grub being borked after entering windows and other
>>> problems. Don't worry as this isn't done by default, but in control panel,
>>> administrator tools, disk management. Some advanced operations ie. Resizing
>>> your windows partition within windows, setting up striping/spanning in
>>> windows as well will prompt you... just don't do it to maintain sanity :-)
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> I will give it a go. I need to install Windows from a usb.
>> Untebootin should do it.
>>
>> Any special issues installing from a usb?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> garyk
>
> Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
> install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
> Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
> Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
> it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)
>
> Thanks
>
> garyk

While we're at it if I may ask on this Ubuntu forum how does one uninstall Windows XP?

Nick

Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Doug

On 07/11/2012 07:48 PM, Students wrote:

[...]

Why not just format the partition?

--doug

Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Nick Bikkal

Doug,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 12, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 07/11/2012 07:48 PM, Students wrote:
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> Trying to install windows 7 to a partition but W7 says it can not
>>> install to the drive because it can not install to a GPT partition.
>>> Does Ubuntu create a GPT partition? Perhaps Chrome OS does? I have
>>> Chrome OS on here (don't need it really, just tried it out to see if
>>> it would work on Netflix, which it does not for me)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> garyk
>>>
>> While we're at it if I may ask on this Ubuntu forum how does one uninstall Windows XP?
>>
>> Nick
> Why not just format the partition?
>
> --doug
>
> Reality is I screwed up bad & now have a powerful desk top that can do little that I want. I lost much of my work I had on both an old Ubuntu & a WXP. Feel resigned to all this bad luck. Sigh. If possible I'd like to salvage some. I thought I had it all backed up on an external disk but it also proved negative. About 10 years of work & pictures on it.

Nick

Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Ryan Gauger

wrote:
[...]

Yes, formatting the partition will not stop the computer from booting,
as it would if you formatted a Linux partition.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Doug

On 07/11/2012 09:25 PM, Nick Bikkal wrote:

/snip/

While we're at it if I may ask on this Ubuntu forum how does one uninstall Windows XP?

Nick

Why not just format the partition?

--doug

Reality is I screwed up bad& now have a powerful desk top that can do little that I want. I lost much of my work I had on both an old Ubuntu& a WXP. Feel resigned to all this bad luck. Sigh. If possible I'd like to salvage some. I thought I had it all backed up on an external disk but it also proved negative. About 10 years of work& pictures on it.

Nick
Now you know how I felt when I let The Geek Squad work on my computer
and tell me that the disk
was ng, AND IT WAS THE WRONG DISK which I then threw away! I trust you
know who the Geek Squad

works for.

--doug

Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Ric Moore

On 07/12/2012 12:08 AM, Doug wrote:

[...]

Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition,
hopefully still running, then reformat the Win partition to ext3 or 4.
Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy all the files there. Then
a fresh install of Ubuntu to the Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount /opt and
you have your safe storage. That's how I survive with fresh installs. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 12:08 AM, Doug wrote:
>>
>> On 07/11/2012 09:25 PM, Nick Bikkal wrote:
>>
>> /snip/

>>> Nick
>>
>> Now you know how I felt when I let The Geek Squad work on my computer
>> and tell me that the disk
>> was ng, AND IT WAS THE WRONG DISK which I then threw away! I trust you
>> know who the Geek Squad
>> works for.
>

> Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition,
> hopefully still running, then reformat the Win partition to ext3 or 4.
> Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy all the files there. Then a
> fresh install of Ubuntu to the Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount /opt and you
> have your safe storage. That's how I survive with fresh installs. Ric

> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Perhaps I can not install W7 because my copy is a 32 bit version. I
have an intel atom N 550. It is a 64 bit unit.

garyk

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Ashoka K

Hi Ric,
Even i want to install both Win Vista and Ubuntu on my laptop freshly due to response being too slow.
I understand your method. But if possible please provide a detailed steps to do the same

Can you copy all the files you want to keep to your ubuntu partition, hopefully still running, then reformat the*
Win partition to ext3 or 4.*Then mount the old Win partition to /opt. copy all the files there. Then a fresh install of Ubuntu to the*
Ubuntu partition ONLY. Remount /opt and you have your safe storage. That's how I survive with fresh installs.*

RegardsAshoka. *K