FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Steve Flynn
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On 9 July 2012 21:28, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Doesn't <do-release-upgrade -d> require sudo?
> try <sudo do-release-upgrade -d>

It may well require sudo rights to actually perform an upgrade but it
doesn't need them to check if an upgrade is being served. In this
case, it spits a socket exception out, which is a bug if nothing else.

Even so, a 'do-upgrade-release' on my machine, su'd or not doesn't
throw an exception - just tells me that there's no upgrade available
from my 12.04 installation.

As of typing, I've not searched to see if there are any known bugs in
the script released with 11.10... I'd have thought that if this were a
regular occurrence then it would be patched out by now.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
"Bahn, Nathan "
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:

On 9 July 2012 21:28, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:



> Doesn't <do-release-upgrade -d> require sudo?

> try <sudo do-release-upgrade -d>



It may well require sudo rights to actually perform an upgrade but it

doesn't need them to check if an upgrade is being served. In this

case, it spits a socket exception out, which is a bug if nothing else.



Even so, a 'do-upgrade-release' on my machine, su'd or not doesn't

throw an exception - just tells me that there's no upgrade available

from my 12.04 installation.



As of typing, I've not searched to see if there are any known bugs in

the script released with 11.10... I'd have thought that if this were a

regular occurrence then it would be patched out by now.

I've tried the commands; "sudo apt-get update -d" is now running and "sudo do-release-upgrade -d" stopped running because of a conflict with apt-get update -d. *Will report back when I have results.
--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*,*http://www.libreoffice.org/*&*http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument*(Nathan Bahn)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 AM
"Bahn, Nathan "
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:

Even so, a 'do-upgrade-release' on my machine, su'd or not doesn't

throw an exception - just tells me that there's no upgrade available

from my 12.04 installation.



As of typing, I've not searched to see if there are any known bugs in

the script released with 11.10... I'd have thought that if this were a

regular occurrence then it would be patched out by now.


I don't know what the hell I did, but after running the commands sequentially, this System 76 machine is EVIDENTLY ready to do an upgrade. *I'll let everyone know the result in the morning!
--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*,*http://www.libreoffice.org/*&*http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument*(Nathan Bahn)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM
chris
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 13:45 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 9 July 2012 13:26, Bahn, Nathan <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have absolutely no idea about how to do that (by the way, I just LOVE your
> > post script message!).
>
> No worries - I'll write up a quick list of steps to go through when I
> get home this evening (only have access to AIX machines here, and I
> want to give you precise line-by-line instructions so I'll write it up
> at home in front of one of my machines). If anyone else wants to chime
> in on changing the contents of /etc/sources (if memory serves) in the
> mean time feel free to.
>
> Sig quote is attributed to Robert Persig. I think he's right on the
> money but this is not the place to discus that.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
> people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
>

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Steve Flynn
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On 10 July 2012 02:32, Bahn, Nathan <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:


> I don't know what the hell I did, but after running the commands
> sequentially, this System 76 machine is EVIDENTLY ready to do an upgrade.
> I'll let everyone know the result in the morning!

The apt-get update may well have sorted out any issues in your
/etc/apt/sources.list to specify correct servers and corrected
whatever was causing the exception to be thrown in the upgrade script.
This was why I wanted to see your sources.lost file - to get an
eyeball on which machine you were trying to upgrade from.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
"Bahn, Nathan "
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you.
*
*
*
I'm typing this from a different machine; the System 76 machine was busy until late this morning with the download (the download bitrate is four times the dialup bitrate).* The machine is unpacking files; I don't know how long the current process will take.* I'm hopeful that everything will work out.



--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*,*http://www.libreoffice.org/*&*http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument*(Nathan Bahn)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 AM
"Bahn, Nathan "
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

Steve Flynn & C.R.W.--
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.Everything is now A-OK!!!

--*Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*,*http://www.libreoffice.org/*&*http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument*(Nathan Bahn)




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:34:27 -0400
"Bahn, Nathan " <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Flynn & C.R.W.--
>
> THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.
> Everything is now A-OK!!!
>
I'm glad, but, if you don't mind, which of the two suggestions I gave
did you some good? Was it the suggestion to try using sudo to preface
your command or was it issuing <Ctrl-C> to recover your prompt?

The archives would like to know.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Being "barely capable" on a Linux system is better than
being "expert" on a Windows system.
crankypuss

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM
"Bahn, Nathan "
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:



I'm glad, but, if you don't mind, which of the two suggestions I gave

did you some good? *Was it the suggestion to try using sudo to preface

your command or was it issuing <Ctrl-C> to recover your prompt?



The archives would like to know.


C.R.W.--Using "sudo" to preface the command did the job; I have no idea why.--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*,*http://www.libreoffice.org/*&*http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument*(Nathan Bahn)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default CLI Giving Me A Raised Middle Finger

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:30:00 -0400
"Bahn, Nathan " <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com
> > wrote:
>
> >
> > I'm glad, but, if you don't mind, which of the two suggestions I
> > gave did you some good? Was it the suggestion to try using sudo to
> > preface your command or was it issuing <Ctrl-C> to recover your
> > prompt?
> >
> > The archives would like to know.
>
> C.R.W.--
> Using "sudo" to preface the command did the job; I have no idea why.

It's because upgrades to the system need administrator privileges.

--
It's curtains for Windows around my house.

Cybe R. Wizard -Registered Linux user # 126326

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org