Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/681361-did-ubuntu-made-bet-dead-horse-i-wonder.html)

"Juan R. de Silva" 07-08-2012 07:51 PM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
After reading this today:

http://tiny.cc/4p74gw

I wonder if the last Ubuntu decision to replace Evolution with
Thunderbird and Lighting as its default email and calendar suite was a
wrong bet.

Luckily I never used Thunderbird, since I never liked neither it nor
Lighting.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Jared Norris 07-08-2012 08:56 PM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
On 9 July 2012 05:51, Juan R. de Silva <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading this today:
>
> http://tiny.cc/4p74gw
>
> I wonder if the last Ubuntu decision to replace Evolution with
> Thunderbird and Lighting as its default email and calendar suite was a
> wrong bet.
>
> Luckily I never used Thunderbird, since I never liked neither it nor
> Lighting.
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Please, can everyone please read the FAQ [1] before posting to the
list. I don't know how many times I need to reference it before it
gets read. Posting random links to the mailing list and seeking
discussion is not what this list is for. This is a technical support
list. If you want to discuss random web links there are many other
places to do this online.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ

--
Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Students 07-08-2012 11:12 PM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
Nick

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2012, at 4:51, "Juan R. de Silva" <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:

> After reading this today:
>
> http://tiny.cc/4p74gw
>
> I wonder if the last Ubuntu decision to replace Evolution with
> Thunderbird and Lighting as its default email and calendar suite was a
> wrong bet.
>
> Luckily I never used Thunderbird, since I never liked neither it nor
> Lighting.
>
>
On Windows I've been using thunderbird for years. Perfect. No problems. On Ubuntu 12.04 I've lost many mail. It just gets deleted. So, I also lose them on my other servers. I love the Linux idea but I still don't understand their modus operandi. I just can't depend on it long term.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Roger 07-08-2012 11:51 PM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
<snip>
On Ubuntu 12.04 I've lost many mail. It just gets deleted. So, I also
lose them on my other servers. I love the Linux idea but I still don't
understand their modus operandi. I just can't depend on it long term

</snip>

I and my daughters have used Thunderbird for email and Firefox for
working on line for many many years with no problem in both Ubuntu and
Fedora.


Have you checked /.thunderbird/filename.default/Mail and all the folders
therein.
The /filename.default will be something like c0abc24rt.default and there
may be 2 or more of them.
I occasionally copy and rename the existing one and keep it as a backup
for a week or so.


The /Mail folder will contain /Local Folders and your various mailboxes.
Each of these will contain a number of files and you can view Inbox,
Drafts, Trash, etc


If these exist and you can view your emails in plain text then the
problem is probably not Thunderbird, unless there was a fault in the
installation.


In which case you can simply rename the .thunderbird folder to
.mythunderbird or what ever then use the Add/Remove applications to
delete Thunderbird.
It will not remove the-renamed .file but will install a new one with a
different filename.default.


From here there are 2 options, copy your /c0abc24rt.default/Mail folder
to the new one or alter the .thunderbird/profiles.ini which contains:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=c0abc24rt.default
or what ever it's called and simply rename that to the correct one in
the .thunderbird folder the all your emails should be accessible.


either way, your mail if it exists, will be visible.

In any case practice making zip or Gzip backups of the .default file or
even the whole .thunderbird file.

Rebuilding is easy, losing stuff is not.
Hope this helps
Roger

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Doug 07-08-2012 11:54 PM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
On 07/08/2012 07:12 PM, Students wrote:


Nick

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2012, at 4:51, "Juan R. de Silva"<juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:


After reading this today:

http://tiny.cc/4p74gw

I wonder if the last Ubuntu decision to replace Evolution with
Thunderbird and Lighting as its default email and calendar suite was a
wrong bet.

Luckily I never used Thunderbird, since I never liked neither it nor
Lighting.



On Windows I've been using thunderbird for years. Perfect. No problems. On Ubuntu 12.04 I've lost many mail. It just gets deleted. So, I also lose them on my other servers. I love the Linux idea but I still don't understand their modus operandi. I just can't depend on it long term.
I've been using T'Bird on Linux (now on PCLOS) since I had to abandon
KMail in SuSE 10.0 and I don't believe I've ever lost anything. At
least nothing that

wasn't my own fault!
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nick Bikkal 07-09-2012 12:10 AM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
Doug,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

> I've been using T'Bird on Linux (now on PCLOS) since I had to abandon KMail in SuSE 10.0 and I don't believe I've ever lost anything. At least nothing that
> wasn't my own fault!
> --doug

It's strange because I reinstalled Thunderbird and the same happened.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Juan R. de Silva" 07-09-2012 12:10 AM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 06:56:32 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> Please, can everyone please read the FAQ [1] before posting to the list.
> I don't know how many times I need to reference it before it gets read.
> Posting random links to the mailing list and seeking discussion is not
> what this list is for. This is a technical support list.

I admit, posting a link to an article without saying a word - what it was
about, was a mistake. The subject line could be sounding kind of critical
as well. My apologies.

The article is informing about Mozzila decision to stop support of the
further development of Thunderbird (and apparently Lighting?).

I thought such news might be of high interest for those Ubuntu users, who
did not jump yet blindly into transferring PIM data into Thunderbird,
after Ubuntu decision to switch to it, but who still could be considering
doing so. Apparently the news may save them a lot of time and efforts.

I also thought that bringing it to the attention of the community could
save this very list from numerous technical support requests, which could
flood it in the future due to such a change in Mozilla plans. (I would be
surprised if changes in Ubuntu would not follow.)

> If you want to discuss random web links
> there are many other places to do this online.

Could you point me to at least one for Ubuntu users, please?



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Bahn, Nathan " 07-09-2012 01:31 AM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Juan R. de Silva <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 06:56:32 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:



> Please, can everyone please read the FAQ [1] before posting to the list.

> I don't know how many times I need to reference it before it gets read.

> Posting random links to the mailing list and seeking discussion is not

> what this list is for. This is a technical support list.



I admit, posting a link to an article without saying a word - what it was

about, was a mistake. The subject line could be sounding kind of critical

as well. My apologies.



The article is informing about Mozzila decision to stop support of the

further development of Thunderbird (and apparently Lighting?).



I thought such news might be of high interest for those Ubuntu users, who

did not jump yet blindly into transferring PIM data into Thunderbird,

after Ubuntu decision to switch to it, but who still could be considering

doing so. Apparently the news may save them a lot of time and efforts.



I also thought that bringing it to the attention of the community could

save this very list from numerous technical support requests, which could

flood it in the future due to such a change in Mozilla plans. (I would be

surprised if changes in Ubuntu would not follow.)



> If you want to discuss random web links

> there are many other places to do this online.



Could you point me to at least one for Ubuntu users, please?

www.groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/bikeshed

if that link doesn't work, then go to www.groups.google.com and look up "bikeshed." *by the way, plz don't mind Jared Norris; it's true that he's an officious ass, but he's harmless.
--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*,*http://www.libreoffice.org/*&*http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument*(Nathan Bahn)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Juan R. de Silva" 07-09-2012 02:10 AM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
> www.groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/bikeshed
>
> if that link doesn't work, then go to www.groups.google.com and look up
> "bikeshed."

Thanks for the link ...

> by the way, plz don't mind Jared Norris; it's true that he's an
> officious ass, but he's harmless.

and much more this. I feel way better now. :-)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Mika Suomalainen 07-09-2012 08:27 AM

Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 08.07.2012 22:51, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> After reading this today:
>
> http://tiny.cc/4p74gw
>
> I wonder if the last Ubuntu decision to replace Evolution with
> Thunderbird and Lighting as its default email and calendar suite
> was a wrong bet.
>
> Luckily I never used Thunderbird, since I never liked neither it
> nor Lighting.
>

http://www.jorgecastro.org/2012/07/06/there-is-no-need-to-worry-about-thunderbird/

How I understand that?

1. Thunderbird will continue receiving new security updates.
2. They will not primarily add new features, but they haven't done
that very much ever before either.

If you ever tried Thunderbird, I would ask you how often have you seen
new features in it.

- --
Mika Suomalainen

NOTICE! I am on mobile broadband with very limited time, so I cannot
read emails very much.
The best time to contact me is probably weekends when I have better
connectivity with good luck.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Homepage: http://mkaysi.github.com/
Comment: gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 82A46728
Comment: Public key: http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/key.txt
Comment: Fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
Comment: Why do I (clear)sign emails? http://git.io/6FLzWg
Comment: Please send plaintext instead of HTML. http://git.io/TAc0cg
Comment: Please don't toppost. http://git.io/7-VB3g
Comment: Please remove PGP lines in replies. http://git.io/nvHrDg
Comment: Charset of this message should be UTF-8.
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJP+pX3AAoJEE21PP6CpGcoUBAP/js8bQWPmya6TqPp1A5/GgdR
SeyRAF8G7PN0Wh1Cj1TkC0+xcSeQM3Ep+YskInkDE6lgTmyxsD sHVjJwIAlhSSva
tipN5xokzmI2w+f7loRjpySiAQiA824IoA4anrUF37HRTYSfez QF5iMYIKDOHWm4
lx81FIJ5c2yvsqTqruMFarjiE2t2KbhzufHUwn5n9fzVpaU3G+ RQkkP1+43p4+mT
/shDW30m7RHHIrwwHZ6JKqQBp3F9rjyrdcj5zEMvYnOF+PSs85g Aw9c7npNK+sXy
EDR8dIatU4b+n/WYiWF2czE0BhImh5YlEHCSyL21t2+d51Rh54zvTUCa9BRHd3Xs
gWrw+77XYEgIJX0E13ZuNsTJTNozvP1hRzDaYWFcerKXb8LhCi jkAK240dzqosmj
mCG353F0MPI0+vzsP6hHStqhmxxLJzTdNs+QwCM09yg4jBP+BC 1VlKOfYbuMWpj0
89yLgT+xQ7lRgJQbWCe63+IY6xGfMajHjkVS8Bhf6EZMEoqCBp iqKwtYaeB8ESmo
h1T4FwhhBMvDpspZnuwhHz7vSAgK902Jz9z+S3uqcgs3oHyaIC obevegOWXARDqi
w9I1dxxRfWeff/nTFRK7ZXDpHNmH7Lajdlgchoc/Dsl2n+Go7Xi1X/C2BJzDjawP
e5ezU3SP7krF9ekZ4Sra
=yAFC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.