Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

Default Did Ubuntu made bet on a dead horse? I wonder...

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:27:39 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> http://www.jorgecastro.org/2012/07/06/there-is-no-need-to-worry-about-
thunderbird/

> How I understand that?
>
> 1. Thunderbird will continue receiving new security updates.

It doesn't sound a lot for a product that never matured.

> 2. They will not primarily add new features, but they haven't done that
> very much ever before either.
>
> If you ever tried Thunderbird, I would ask you how often have you seen
> new features in it.

And this was exactly my point. To make such an application default for
Ubuntu was an obvious mistake. And it is even more obvious now, after
Mozilla decided to stall its active development.

I use Evolution. It does has its problems but at is way more capable both
as email client and especially PIM comparing with Thunderbird and its
Lighting.

IMHO Evolution is a mature product and its team probably could afford to
stick to stability and security as some suggested. However, it is still
in active development and improves or at least has a chance to do so.

And what is Thunderbird now?.. Never matured application for which
security updates are somewhat promised?..

If this is an idea for a respectable distribution default email client
and PIM. Well... I have nothing more to say. I would just avoid a
discussion on the subject from this point.

Thanks.

And, BTW, your signature does look way to long and out of place in your
posts. :-)

Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
James Freer

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Juan R. de Silva
<juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:27:39 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
>
>> http://www.jorgecastro.org/2012/07/06/there-is-no-need-to-worry-about-
> thunderbird/
>>
>> How I understand that?
>>
>> 1. Thunderbird will continue receiving new security updates.
>
> It doesn't sound a lot for a product that never matured.
>
>> 2. They will not primarily add new features, but they haven't done that
>> very much ever before either.
>>
>> If you ever tried Thunderbird, I would ask you how often have you seen
>> new features in it.
>
> And this was exactly my point. To make such an application default for
> Ubuntu was an obvious mistake. And it is even more obvious now, after
> Mozilla decided to stall its active development.
>
> I use Evolution. It does has its problems but at is way more capable both
> as email client and especially PIM comparing with Thunderbird and its
> Lighting.
>
> IMHO Evolution is a mature product and its team probably could afford to
> stick to stability and security as some suggested. However, it is still
> in active development and improves or at least has a chance to do so.
>
> And what is Thunderbird now?.. Never matured application for which
> security updates are somewhat promised?..
>
> If this is an idea for a respectable distribution default email client
> and PIM. Well... I have nothing more to say. I would just avoid a
> discussion on the subject from this point.
>
> Thanks.
>
> And, BTW, your signature does look way to long and out of place in your
> posts. :-)

I found both Evolution and Thunderbird poor for mail - just far too slow... RIP

Alpine was a great improvemnt and Gnus even better.

james

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 AM
NoOp

On 07/09/2012 03:54 PM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> I use Evolution. It does has its problems but at is way more capable both
> as email client and especially PIM comparing with Thunderbird and its
> Lighting.
>
> IMHO Evolution is a mature product and its team probably could afford to
> stick to stability and security as some suggested. However, it is still
> in active development and improves or at least has a chance to do so.

Right...

<http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/developer.shtml>
<quote>
Update: It was decided in the June 20, 2012 meeting to end regularly
scheduled team meetings on account of the Evolution team having so few
developers left. The remaining developers will use the evolution-hackers
mailing list as the primary forum for technical discussions, status
updates and upcoming event reminders; which has already been the case in
practice for some time.
</quote>

<http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/meeting-logs/2012-06-20.shtml>

> And what is Thunderbird now?.. Never matured application for which
> security updates are somewhat promised?..
>
> If this is an idea for a respectable distribution default email client
> and PIM. Well... I have nothing more to say. I would just avoid a
> discussion on the subject from this point.

I don't blame you; were I you, I'd avoid flogging any more FUD as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 AM
chris

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 13:24 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 07/09/2012 05:14 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Mika Suomalainen
> > <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> You should read [Ubuntu Code of Conduct] and the HTML part from
> >> [Ubuntu Mailing list guidelines].
> >
> > You know, that sounds "somewhat" funny, from someone who
> > doesn't trim quotes and has a GPG signature, which is longer
> > than the text it accompanies… For me, this GPG stuff is more
> > annoying than HTML.
> >
> > Just sayin'.
> >
> > Alexander
> +1